Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

So get this one. A town in Germany raided a family's home to seize items to cover unpaid taxes.  One of the things the helped themselves to was the family dog: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/28/698900379/in-germany-family-pug-seized-and-sold-on-ebay-to-cover-unpaid-debts

I have always said taxation is theft. In this case it's really true. While that would not happen here in the US if it did... trouble. You can lien my house, garnish my pay and take away my driver's license. But if you think you're going to take my dog you better think again! You better be packing more than a court order and be willing to die for your job!

I was pretty sure it is not allowed to seize a pet. Did some reading and it turns out there are - as always - exceptions. One being that the value of the animal is "very high" ... that means more than €250. BUT even then it can be not allowed if the family makes it clear that seizing the pet would hit them hard. This probably wasn't the case here and considering the dog apparently needed lots of medical attention later, might seem like they aren't too sad about the dog being gone from them.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Theres a "dog tax" in Germany? Kooky.

Are all species of pet taxed? Is it different per species? Ffs, a fish tank could break a budget!

If licensing and registration counts as a tax then I'm also paying a dog tax. 20 bucks a year per woofix is what I have to pay.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I was pretty sure it is not allowed to seize a pet. Did some reading and it turns out there are - as always - exceptions. One being that the value of the animal is "very high" ... that means more than €250. BUT even then it can be not allowed if the family makes it clear that seizing the pet would hit them hard. This probably wasn't the case here and considering the dog apparently needed lots of medical attention later, might seem like they aren't too sad about the dog being gone from them.

250€? Wow, that'd be every dog here, I don't think I've ever seen one being sold for less than twice that.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've got a Bengal that I love dearly.

This sent me off on a Google search and unbelievably theres a Toyger breeder not too far from me. Further investigation tells me that Toygers go for $500-$2000, and my wife would bust a cap in my ass if I came home with one. :lol:

If licensing and registration counts as a tax then I'm also paying a dog tax. 20 bucks a year per woofix is what I have to pay.

*looks around nervously* Yeah, I pay that too.  :ninja:

We have to pay $75 for them here. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. 250 really isn't a big number.

Yeah, it's ludicrous really. Checked 15 ads right now, one mixbreed puppy was at 500€, and someone was trying to quickly get rid of 2 pups because of allergies and asthma for 850€...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yeah, they started at 1400€...

I'll be honest with you, I don't think we really have any SPCA equivalent here, we have a couple of organizations that involve themselves in lawmaking, and terroristorganisations similar to PETA.

EDIT: IMO the best Confederate commander was Longstreet. Primarily for the reasons Grant was a good General. He was prudent, tactically sound, and mindful of cost. But he was much more content to win a war of attrition and Lee was very determined to force a short conclusion. 

But bro!

255px-Stonewall_Jackson_by_Routzahn%2C_1

Did my 6th grade Social Studies report on Stonewall, so I'm biased. :p

We should probably we grateful Ewell was in command of Jackson's Corps on 7/1/1863 and not Jackson himself. He likely would have pressed and taken Culps Hill on the first day. A Confederate battery there prevents Meade from consolidating on the high ground and Gettysburg turns out differently. 

I rewatched Gettysburg this weekend. Best war movie ever made IMO. Since we were just talking about this. This was a great scene. Great acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNWWCwED9D0 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXmiivqG3-Q

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Having trouble getting dates ktchong?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My current dog is the first and only "pure breed" Ive ever owned. Prior animals all came from the animal shelter. But even those guys bust your balls a little bit with an "interview" to make sure the animal is going to a "good home". :lol:

the shelters in our neck o' the woods must be a bit different as am suspecting if we had told folks we were gonna feed the "rescued" pooches to our pet python, they wouldn't have cared overmuch.   currently have four dogs.  two were from shelters. one were our sister's. the last were from an acquaintance who realized they could not adequate maintain an active border collie.  the folks at the shelter could hardly have processed the adoption quicker and gotten us out the door faster when we acquired the rescue dogs. we could almost hear the sub-vocalized prayer from staff:

"please don't change your mind. please don't change your mind. please, please, please, don't change your mind, and may God have mercy on your soul."

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, they started at 1400€...

I'll be honest with you, I don't think we really have any SPCA equivalent here, we have a couple of organizations that involve themselves in lawmaking, and terroristorganisations similar to PETA.

Sounds more like they only care about the money than getting rid of them due to allergies.

• Like 1

College Admissions Scandal: Actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Charged.

Isnt "buying your way into college" the worst kept secret since secrets were invented? Thank god these 10's of people will be brought to justice for greasing their kids wheels.

And goddammit, Im fed up with athletes scamming the system and getting a free ride based on nothing more than profound physical abilities. NOT FAIR! *stomps foot* :lol:

In the case of the athletics thing, coaches were paid to label certain kids as "prospects" allowing them to bypass the normal admissions process despite the fact they'd never played the sport.  Neither did they join the team when admitted, nor did they have a scholarship to get in for the sport (so weren't getting a free ride).

Article on the indictments from INSIDE HIGHER ED - https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2019/03/12/dozens-indicted-alleged-massive-case-admissions-fraud

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I get it, SAT's were altered too, I just cant imagine it was worth the millions of dollars spent to investigate and prosecute this terrible "crime". Its like what...30 or so kids over the course of four (?) years? Who cares? It wasn't even "minority quotas" they took, right?

I dunno, I thought the old joke of "I bought the school a new wing to their library so my kid could get in" was basically quid pro quo. :shrugz:

Typically the 'quid pro quo' / legacy admissions is uncommon outside of the Ivy League anymore, I believe (and some debate whether it could be found unconstitutional if challenged in court) and even there its capped at I think 10% of a class admissions.

Outside of being a huge breach of professional efforts, I'm not sure if its enough to jeopardize accreditation, but could be. It certainly can jeopardize a things like the ability to keep their sports teams or the ability to continue to offer tests from the affected vendors if not bigger issues like ability to receive federal funding, being opened to lawsuits from students denied admissions, etc.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

now admitted our first thought were the kid is obvious kinda a milquetoast if he were genuine worked up 'bout whether his nut problem were food sensitivity or allergy (am thinking he has a whole different kinda "nut" problem,) but he has turned his issue into a pretty remarkable innovation.  good on him.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Im having such a hard time understanding the mass bowel evacuation over the college "scandal" that I feel like I must have missed some important facts. This is how I understand it:

1) A bunch of rich parent circumvented the normal acceptance procedure by pouring money into it. Far more than any other normal student would pay.

2) The kids got help on the entrance SAT but still needed to pass or fail the classes on their own abilities.

3) Some number of "deserving" entrants got screwed out of a spot in that particular year, causing pigs across the country to squeal.

Is that about right? This is the kind of thing the FBI goes in with guns drawn, no doubt in anticipation of these parents going out guns blazing?

I wish I had an Infinity Stone that gave me the power to punch people in the face from anywhere on Earth. :lol: