Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

In 1983 Isaac Asimov wrote a piece on his predictions for the year 2019. He missed far more than he hit but some did work out as predicted. It's interesting to see his take: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/12/27/35-years-ago-isaac-asimov-was-asked-by-the-star-to-predict-the-world-of-2019-here-is-what-he-wrote.html

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have a late nominee for the honor of "Stupidest comment of 2018".  WWMC Channel 5 right here in Memphis had a news story about the American who just completed crossing Antarctica on foot a few days ago. Apparently he is the first American to do such a thing. The news anchors were doing their little "discussion" about the story when one mentions the added difficulty of doing that during the winter. Ummm... apparently in broadcasting school they never mentioned that Antarctica is in the southern hemisphere. Not that there is a huge seasonal difference there. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

am believing a few folks on these boards is dog lovers.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/story-dyngo-war-dog-home-combat-180971003/

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am believing a few folks on these boards is dog lovers.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/story-dyngo-war-dog-home-combat-180971003/

HA! Good Fun!

I thought I recognized her name! I read her book. Great story.

One comment from one of the dog's handlers touched a nerve with me. When he separated from the service all he could think is "now what?" I can sympathize with both him and Dyngo. I had a difficult time readjusting to civilian life for a little while after I got out myself. And I was only in for 5 years. And never got closer to combat than the every edge of it. What people don't understand about the military is how much your life revolves around it. Yes it is a job with regular hours. They might be long hours but you don't work around the clock. But you are ALWAYS a Marine, Soldier, Airman, Sailor even when you are not on duty. And so is literally everyone around you. Your work life, social life, etc all include a small group of people who have that shared experience. Nothing like that exists outside of the military. Except maybe the mafia or something. It's hard for a human to adjust to that being gone. How much harder is it for a habit driven creature like a dog who doesn't know it's coming and doesn't understand why it happened? 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The Chinese have found life on the moon! Of course... they put it there: https://www.livescience.com/64413-china-space-moon-plants-animals.html?utm_source=notification

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'm going to post this here since it doesn't really fit anywhere in particular.

If someone wearing a suit, particularly if it's an executive, is making a speech and the speech includes the word "synergy", what are the odds that they are bull****ting you? 98%? 99%?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Anyone wearing a suit is BSing you

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When in the 1930's J.R.R Tolkien and his publisher was looking to get German translations of The Hobbit published, they asked him about his family background and for proof of his Aryan descent.

His reply:

25 July 1938 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford 

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject — which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and 

remain yours faithfully,

J. R. R. Tolkien

• Like 7

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."