Build Name: The Lightning Tempest
Subclass(es): Shadowdancer - Nalpazca/Streetfighter
Author: diamondsforever
Game version: 3.0.2.0027
Difficulty: PoTD
Solo: Yes

Every feel the need to kill Ukaizo in 2 minutes? Every wonder what its like to laugh in the face of Ancient Fampyrs? Ever want to achieve that PoTD solo with your fists!? Well punch yourself in the face and look no further. May I present to you The Lightning Tempest a Shadowdancer.

Race:
Human (Fighting Spirit: Bloodied or Near Death, gain a bonus to Accuracy and damage)

Attributes:
MIG: 16 >> 20 (BB, GoTM) >> 25 (Thunderous Blows)
CON: 6 >> 10 (BB, Gear)
DEX: 16 >> 20 (BB, Gear) >> 25 (Lightning Strikes)
PER: 18 >> 22 (BB, Effigy, Cauldron Brew)
INT: 15 >> 20 (BB, Gear) >> 30 (Max Wounds)
RES: 7 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

Culture/Job:
Rauatai or Ixamitl Plains - Scholar

Abilities:
Level 1: Swift Strikes & Crippling Strike
Level 2: Lesser Wounds
Level 3: Defensive Roll
Level 4: Two Weapon Style & Dirty Fighting
Level 5: Escape
Level 6: Long Stride
Level 7: Lightning Strikes & Riposte
Level 8: Blade Turning
Level 9: Finishing Blow
Level 10: Duality of Mortal Presence & Persistent Distraction
Level 11: Thunderous Blows
Level 12: Crucible of Suffering
Level 13: Rooting Pain & Deep Wounds
Level 14: Enervating Blows
Level 15: Soul Mirror
Level 16: Turning Wheel & Devastating Blow
Level 17: Slippery Mind
Level 18: Bull’s Will
Level 19: Heartbeat Drumming & Deathblows
Level 20: Bear's Fortitude

Weapon Proficiency:
Unarmed (gained automatically)
Dagger
Sabre
Pistol
Battle Axe
Sword
Stiletto
Small Shield

Skills:
Arcana: 13 >> 15 (Scholar, Training: Geivard)
Mechanics: 7 >> 11 (BB, Rogue, Training: Elias Zelen) >> 15 (Thief's Putty, Burglar's Gloves)*
History: 19 >> 21 (Scholar, Training: Geivard)

*Take Mechanics for 7 points first, then all the rest into Arcana.

Gears:
Armor: Devil of Caroc Breastplate (Devil's Due, Mechanical Mind)

Weapons (MH): Fist
Weapons (OH): Fist

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT)
Belt: The Undying Burden (+2 CON)
Ring 1: Ring of the Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)
Ring 2: Ring of Greater Regeneration
Hands: Gatecrashers (+1 MIG)
Cloak: The Giftbearer’s Cloth
Head: Heaven’s Cacophony (+2 INT)
Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX)

Pet: Abraham

Consumables:
Mouth Char, Svef, Taru Turu Chew (really any drugs you find take them)
Scroll of Moderate Healing
Scroll of Moonwell
Scroll of Avenging Storm
Potion of Ascension
Shark Soup/Hot Razor Skewers - Normal Mobs
Captain's Banquet - Bosses and Fampyrs

Shopping List:

Palm Slats

Ta Ondra Tara

Glaive Berries

Huona Mahe

Mother of Pearl

Primal Wind

Velune

Primal Flame

Rum

Luminous Lobster

Oysters

Fire Kelp

Tahiwa Snapper

Spices

Aged Shark Meat

NOTES:

1. How to obtain the Cauldron Brew from Outcast’s Respite:

“Finding the Encoded notes before freeing Tama Watua allows you to and ask for a reward and get the Deciphered notes: It allows to brew in the purple cauldron a potion (depending of the ingredients you have) giving you a permanent +1 to one attribute of your choice.”

To decipher you’ll need one of the following:
Alchemy: 15
History: 17
Intellect: 20

2. How to achieve more passive healing:

Ring 2: Ring of Greater Regeneration (+3 Health Restored per 6.0 sec)
Cloak: Three Trolls Stitched* (+5 Health Restored per 12.0 sec)
Drugs: Whiteleaf (+1 Health Restored per 3.0 sec)
Food: Honey Wine Hen (+2 Health Restored per 6.0 sec)
Scroll: Moonwell (+8 Health Restored per 3.0 sec)

*ideally you wouldn't switch this cloak out.

3. How to defeat Ukaizo in 2 minutes:

Prefight, use Mouth Char. Then swap mouth char for Potion of Ascension.

Consumables your need during the fight:
Scroll of Moderate Healing x 10
Scroll of Avenging Storm x 10
Potion of Ascension x1

At the beginning of the fight, Lighting Strikes followed by Thunderous Blows and your potion of Ascension.

Phase 1:
Open with X1 Crippling Strike. Then cast Avenging Storm (helm), followed by X1 Crippling Strike. He should kneel within 2-3 auto attacks from here, use Crippling Strike if you have to get the full attack. Usually I have him under 50% health when he collapses. Refresh Lighting Strikes followed by Thunderous Blows as needed.

Phase 2:
Run away, defeat the adds try and save your guile if you can. When Ukaizo gets his second head, refresh Lighting Strikes followed by Thunderous Blows, Cast Avenging Storm, and use Crippling Strike. If you see him going for a power slam, cast Blade Turning (if you took it), you should be so fast that you can complete your action before he completes his. Once you have Ukaizo at 1/4 health he will want to get his thirds head. If you are fast enough you can end the fight here with X1 Crippling Strike followed by X1 Devastating Blow (should be around the 2 minute mark). If not, onto Phase 3.

Phase 3:
Run away, defeat the adds try and save your guile if you can. Follow the above strategy.

4. Useful Guides

Permanent Bonuses: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101300-guide-permanent-bonuses-approach-for-a-no-rest-run/

Limited Resources: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103020-guidelimited-resources-locations/

Original Post, Questions, Answers & Conclusions

After working through solo Arcane Knight with u/ Hulk'O'Saurus, I/we came to the conclusion that maybe wizard class aren’t for me. What I’m looking for is a physical monster that can stand at the front-line of any encounter and just crush it. I’ve tested quite a number of builds that have to pass my own personal criteria before I post anything here.

All testing is done solo PoTD no upscaling. The test includes a 1v1 fight with Ukaizo (cre_Ukaizo_Guardian) and a 1v5 fight with Ancient Fampyrs including 1 Rogue, 1 Cipher, 1 Priest, and 2 Sages (cre_Fampyr_Ancient_XX). I feel like this is a good representation of what an end game build should be able to handle.

That brings us to my latest build/test. I was inspired by u/ giftmefood’s build Gypsy Thunder. I even went as far as to build it and test it. I personally couldn’t defeat Ukaizo using a blunderbuss, I got close several times but ultimately, I got frustrated and switched to fists… then I got really close… and I rebuilt the same character but as Devoted/Nalpazca (a more geared for melee version), and I still couldn’t defeat Ukaizo, but I was close… Then I saw a build by u/ Theosupus called The Drunken Master. An untested build probably not for solo. I combined Gypsy Thunder with The Drunken Master…

QUESTIONS/NOTES:

• Blade Turning vs. Riposte, which one, or both?
  • Lightning Strikes vs. Swift Flurry? I’m fairly certain lightning strikes is the way to go here, in fact the lash that it has is really amazing against Fampyrs.
  • Escape vs. Flagellant’s Path, do I need one, if so which one?
  • Rooting Pain, seems like it would mix well with Streetfighter, opinions?
  • Eliminating Blow vs. Devastating Blow which one?
  • Long Stride?
  • Improved Critical?
  • Deep Pockets? Could carry some Potion of Ascension then :)
  • Arcana, technically we only need 13 points here for Scroll of Avenging Storm, is there a reason to pump it to 15 or would my points be better into something else?
  • Are there any other Scrolls like Avenging Storm that apply that one hit effect with weapons?
  • Alchemy, how much do I really need? Seems like I can craft foods without any Alchemy, but what about drugs? Does the amount of Alchemy reflect how long your drugs last? In my testing Coral Snuff last 288 seconds.
  • I stacked Dexterity with my gears to increase my action speed, I was hoping that street fighter would increase them more as she get flanked. Seems to work.
  • I increased Might to increase my damage. I don’t think this build can survive with less than what it has.
  • I maxed Perception because who doesn’t.
  • I took very high Intellect for ability duration, seems to work great.
  • I left Constitution at base, not sure if this is smart.
  • I left resolve low because I don’t stack enough deflection. Not low enough to incur a penalty though.
  • Is there a way to get more attribute points out of this build?
  • What are the best and most important attributes?
  • Please critique my gear choices.
  • I’m interested in having some back up weapon choices. Since we are using The Giftbearer’s Cloth we have 3 weapon slots.
  • There isn’t much healing with this build?
  • Flamethrower’s Gloves vs. Boltcatchers (my fav glove) vs. Anything else?
  • Deltro's Cage?
  • Should we really stack the shock skills/gear Boltcathers+Deltro's Cage?
  • Helwalker?
  • DELETED (repeated later)
  • Cauldron Brew, where should this stat go?
  • Stunning Surge?
  • Slippery Mind?
  • DoC or Some other armor choice?
  • Effigy Choice:

- Durance: +1 CON, +5% Max Health
- Devil of Caroc: +1 DEX, +1 Penetration vs. Kith
- Eder: +1 MIG, +2 Deflection
- Mahena: +1 MIG, +5 defense against might affliction
- Grieving Mother: +1 RES, +5 defense against intelligence affliction
- Kana: +1 INT, +5 defense against dexterity affliction
- Pallegina: +1 RES, +1 Shock AR
- Sagani: +1 PER, +2 Accuracy for >4m targets
- Aloth: +1 INT, +5 Reflex
- Hiravias: +1 DEX, +1 Slash AR
- Zahua: +1 CON, +5% Beneficial effect duration

ANSWERS:

1. u/ whimper - Riposte = Yes

1. u/ whimper - Blade Turning = Optional

1. u/ diamondsforever - Blade Turning... its super effective (especially if you can see the attack about to start).

2. u/ Boeroer - Lightning Strikes is better vs. high defense enemies.

3. u/ whimper - Escape vs. Flagellant’s Path = Pick One

3. u/ diamondsforever - Escape can be obtained much earlier, so its probably the clear winner.

3. u/ Boeroer - Escape over Flagellant’s Path, both is nice though.

4. u/ whimper - Rooting Pain = Yes

5. u/ Boeroer - Personally would use it, but Devastating Blow overall seems better.

6. u/ diamondsforever - Fast Runner vs. Long Stride = Pick One (possibly Long Stride is better since we won't disengage without Escape).

6. u/ Boeroer - Long Stride = Yes, Fast Runner if you have room. They stack.

7. u/ diamondsforever - Don't think there will be enough room in this build for it.

8. u/ diamondsforever - Not enough room. Better to take your drugs before a big fight then swap it out with Potion of Ascension.

10. u/ diamondsforever - Nope, I just checked all the scrolls we can craft.

11. u/ diamondsforever - Looks like I don't have to take Alchemy to craft potions, drugs or food.

12. u/ diamondsforever - Works can confirm, exceptionally fast.

13. u/ diamondsforever - Works can confirm, exceptionally fast.

14. u/ diamondsforever - I could go higher but we would sacrifice core elements of this build bast the 22 we currently have.

15. u/ diamondsforever - when we max out at 30 from wounds and run a skill it last a long ass time. Also, our scrolls hit hard as nuts.

16. u/ diamondsforever - We could take it lower but I'm not sure its a great idea.

17. u/ diamondsforever - We could take it lower but I'm not sure its a great idea.

18. u/ diamondsforever - I figured it out. Currently we could maybe get 1 or 2 more attribute points but the cost would be to core elements of this build.

19. u/ diamondsforever - I think I've sorted this out.

20. u/ whimper - Gear Change - Greater Ring of Regeneration

20. u/ whimper - Gear Change - Cape of the Falling Star

20. u/ diamondsforever - Limited items choices can be swapped out at this point. Only armor, 1 ring and maybe cloak are left.

21. u/ diamondsforever - I've sorted this out, most likely I'll carry a ton of weapons to swap out if i get bored, we get 7 additional choices.

22. u/ whimper - Greater Ring of Regeneration

22. u/ Boeroer - Greater Ring of Regeneration is ok or Ring of Minor Protection

23. u/ diamondsforever - Gatecrashers for +1 MIG

24. u/ diamondsforever - Tested, results sort of unknown. More Tanky, but Shock Shield didn't proc... Maybe another heavy armor?

25. u/ diamondsforever - Tested, but results not really noticeable... so maybe.

26. u/ diamondsforever - Tested and no, not a good plan.

27. DELETED

28. u/ diamondsforever - Perception

29. u/ diamondsforever - Don't think there will be enough room in this build for it.

30. u/ Boeroer - Blade Turning over Slipper Mind, but both is nice.

31. u/ Boeroer - DoC and Nomad's Brigandine (w/ Boots of Speed)

32. u/ diamondsforever - Between Eder: +1 MIG, +2 Deflection and Zahua: +1 CON, +5% Beneficial effect duration

32. u/ diamondsforever - Has to be Sagani: +1 PER, +2 Accuracy for >4m targets its the only one to boost perception and thus the only way we can get to 22.

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Riposte = Yes

1. Blade Turning = Yes

2. Lightning Strikes

3. Escape = Yes

3. Flagellant's Path = No

4. Rooting Pain = Yes

5. Devastating Blow = Yes

6. Long Stride = Yes

6. Fast Runner = No

7. Improved Critical = No

8. Deep Pockets = No

10. No

11. Alchemy = No

12. 20 is perfect.

13. 20 is perfect.

14. 22 is perfect.

15. 20 is perfect.

16. 10 is perfect.

17. 10 is perfect.

18. No

19. PER >> DEX / INT >> MIG >> CON / RES

20. Added to build.

21. Added to build.

22. Greater Ring of Regeneration

23. Gatecrashers for +1MIG

24. Deltro's Cage = No

25. No

26. No

27. DELETED

28. Cauldron Brew = Perception

29. Stunning Surge = No

30. Slippery Mind = Yes

31. DoC = Yes

32. Effigy = Perception

Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 1

A couple thoughts:

Re 1. I think Rippste is definitely worth it on solo runs, even if you aren’t focusing on a high deflection. It’ll add more DPS than most other passives (certainly more than Improved Crit, for ex).

Which is not to say you can’t also get Blade Turning if you’d like...

Re 3. I’d definitely want one of these (your choice), given how useful it can be to change positioning.

Re 4. I think Rooting Pain is probably worth it on solo melee builds, even post nerf, because the occasional interrupt they can cause is pretty good. Not a must-have, though.

Re 20/22. I think it’s probably worth it to have at least one source of regeneration, given that you have no other abilities that heal you. A ring of greater regeneration is probably the best choice here.

• Like 2

Are there any characters that can solo the content with no consumables except maybe food and pots? ;)

Yes, my Goldpact/Devoted basically needs 0 consumables.

This build also does enough damage that it shouldn’t need more than the drugs for wound generation, healing pots and food.

Avenging storm is just fun, try the helm out.

• Like 1

Are there any characters that can solo the content with no consumables except maybe food and pots? ;)

This build also does enough damage that it shouldn’t need more than the drugs for wound generation, healing pots and food.

Is Avenging Storm on the helm per rest or per encounter?

A couple thoughts:

Re 1. I think Rippste is definitely worth it on solo runs, even if you aren’t focusing on a high deflection. It’ll add more DPS than most other passives (certainly more than Improved Crit, for ex).

Re 3. I’d definitely want one of these (your choice), given how useful it can be to change positioning.

Re 4. I think Rooting Pain is probably worth it on solo melee builds, even post nerf, because the occasional interrupt they can cause is pretty good. Not a must-have, though.

Re 20/22. I think it’s probably worth it to have at least one source of regeneration, given that you have no other abilities that heal you. A ring of greater regeneration is probably the best choice here.

Speaking of Riposte: Do you think it is useful on a DPS melee if there is a full-fledged Swashbuckler Riposte tank? I was seeing the Swashbuckler grab 5-6 enemies per fight at the start, and the DPS melee would only have 1 typically on him. In those circumstances, is Riposte still worth it?

A couple thoughts:

Lots to consider here. I’ll go over this soon as I get a chance later :)

Once per rest I believe.

• Like 1

Avenging Storm on Heaven's Cacophony is 1/rest.

Sniped ya dude.

I really hate once per rest stuff, because it ends up never being used at all.

I don’t do no rest runs. I enjoy the freedom of being able to rest whenever.

I run full company and eat Penetration food every rest. So resting too often can get a bit expensive (and tedious, since I have to sit in front of the vendor and rest like 20-plus times to get the ingredients).

A couple thoughts:

Speaking of Riposte: Do you think it is useful on a DPS melee if there is a full-fledged Swashbuckler Riposte tank? I was seeing the Swashbuckler grab 5-6 enemies per fight at the start, and the DPS melee would only have 1 typically on him. In those circumstances, is Riposte still worth it?

Not worth it if you have someone else tanking

• Like 2

A couple thoughts:

Not worth it if you have someone else tanking

Got it. I suspected this. Will go without it next run then.

A couple thoughts:

RE1 - Agreed, that's why I originally choose it. I figured in the end it would be giving more more than improved crit "overall". What skill is worth getting rid of for blade turning? I'm worried about not being tanky enough. This character can certainly handle its own :)

RE3 - I feel like in the end, Flagellant’s Path is the better of the choices. However escape is only one guile. Again what skill is worth getting rid of for one of these choices?

RE4 - Yea the description seems promising. That makes 2 maybe 3 to swap skills out on.

RE20/22 - if we take a regen ring we will lose out defenses, which i'm thinking we may lose also on skill choices as well. I feel like this may cripple the build a bit. You aren't wrong, I'm just worried.

• Like 1

I would say my streetfighter/goldpact can solo every fight in the game on upscaled PotD without non-healing consumables, but there’s one exception: I’ve needed other consumables — and luck! — to get through the Contest of the Seeker fight in SSS. :( Edited by whimper
  • Like 2

I would say my streetfighter/goldpact can solo every fight in the game on upscaled PotD without non-healing consumables, but there’s one exception: I’ve needed other consumables — and luck! — to get through the Contest of the Seeker fight in SSS. :(

I've yet to try the last DLC except the first few fights.

I would say my streetfighter/goldpact can solo every fight in the game on upscaled PotD without non-healing consumables, but there’s one exception: I’ve needed other consumables — and luck! — to get through the Contest of the Seeker fight in SSS. :(

I've yet to try the last DLC except the first few fights.

It’s pretty tough. Some fights (like the contest of the Seeker, and some of the fights with really fast regenerators) strike me as fights that are probably easier than some of the other fights with a party (since with a party you can focus fire, and aren’t screwed if one party member goes down), but are really hard on solo.

• Like 1

A couple thoughts:

RE1 - Agreed, that's why I originally choose it. I figured in the end it would be giving more more than improved crit "overall". What skill is worth getting rid of for blade turning? I'm worried about not being tanky enough. This character can certainly handle its own :)

RE3 - I feel like in the end, Flagellant’s Path is the better of the choices. However escape is only one guile. Again what skill is worth getting rid of for one of these choices?

RE4 - Yea the description seems promising. That makes 2 maybe 3 to swap skills out on.

RE20/22 - if we take a regen ring we will lose out defenses, which i'm thinking we may lose also on skill choices as well. I feel like this may cripple the build a bit. You aren't wrong, I'm just worried.

Yeah, I understand your concern! Though I suspect a ring of greater regeneration will generally do more to add to your survivability (given this build) than the Signet Ring.

As far as cloaks go, the cape of the falling star might be better for solo runs (since it adds the deflection as well as your other defenses). It also frees up a lot of skill points, and can be obtained as soon as you leave the first island.

Edited by whimper
  • Like 1

UPDATE #1

Abilities (Nalpazca):

1 Swift Strikes

Lightning Strikes

Clarity of Agony

Enlightened Agony

Blade Turning

Duality of Mortal Presence

Turning Wheel

Thunderous Blows

Lesser Wounds

Two Weapon Style

Bear’s Fortitude

Snake’s Reflexes

Bull’s Will

Rooting Pain

Crucible of Suffering

Uncanny Luck

Enervating Blows

Heartbeat Drumming

Abilities (Streetfighter):

1 Crippling Strike

Escape

Debilitating Strike

Finishing Blow

Eliminating Blows

Devastating Blow

Defensive Roll

Fast Runner

Dirty Fighting

Riposte

Persistent Distraction

Deep Wounds

Deathblows

Gears:

Armor: Deltro’s Cage (Shock Shield)

Weapons (MH): Fist

Weapons (OH): Fist

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+2 CON)

Ring 1: Ring of the Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)

Ring 2: Greater Ring of Regneration

Hands: Boltcatchers

Cloak: The Giftbearer’s Cloth

Head: Heaven’s Cacophony (+2 INT)

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX)

Pet: Abraham

Consumables:

Mouth Char X5

Scroll of Moderate Healing X5

Scroll of Moderate Healing X5

Scroll of Avenging Storm X5

Scroll of Avenging Storm X5

Shark Soup

CONCLUSION:

Build is still very excellent, if not better. I swear I did WAY more damage to Ukaizo (3 Avenging Storms, 2 Heals, 1 Mouth Char). Fampyrs were about the same (they do so much damage) but I was able to beat the with 1 Avenging Storm and no Heals on my second try.

Rooting Pain is fantastic, works really well vs. multiple targets.

Blade Turning seemed alright, I noticed a bigger difference from Riposte (and Deathblows).

Escape, I didn’t use much during testing, but I think it will be useful during swarmed fights.

Deltro’s Cage, made me more tanky, I didn’t notice was any healing pricing from Shock Shield so that’s a thing…

The Undying Burden, not sure it made much difference, maybe I was more tanky? The only reason I see so far to take this is to try and up my strength a bit. If I could squeeze in 2 more points our fully buffed stats would be:

MIG: 15 >> 20 (BB, GoTM, Effigy, Cauldron Brew) >> 25 (Thunderous Blows)

CON: 7 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

DEX: 16 >> 20 (BB, Gear) >> 25 (Lightning Strikes)

PER: 18 >> 20 (BB)

INT: 15 >> 20 (BB, Gear) >> 30 (Max Wounds)

RES: 7 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

This of course requires switching out some stats or gear (ie. Boots of Stone, Chameleon’s Touch, Upright Captian’s Belt = 2 additional Points) or losing some perception (2 points).

The Giftbearer’s Cloth vs. Cape of the Falling Star, so I tested this, I end out losing 21-24 defenses for 7 deflection and an additional quickslot. I just don’t think Cape of the Falling Star is worth it.

Ring of Greater Regeneration, I was getting 4 HP per 6 seconds back during most the encounter. The tick is so slow I don’t think its worth it. Voidward or Entonia Signet Ring or Chameleon’s Touch.

Boltcatchers, I think this item is fantastic, 20% chance to do shock damage with melee weapons.

The Giftbearer’s Cloth vs. Cape of the Falling Star, so I tested this, I end out losing 21-24 defenses for 7 deflection and an additional quickslot. I just don’t think Cape of the Falling Star is worth it.

Ring of Greater Regeneration, I was getting 4 HP per 6 seconds back during most the encounter. The tick is so slow I don’t think its worth it. Voidward or Entonia Signet Ring or Chameleon’s Touch.

Boltcatchers, I think this item is fantastic, 20% chance to do shock damage with melee weapons.

--Re Giftbearer's Cloak: Yeah, you certainly lose more net points in defenses if you wear the Cape of the Falling Star. But the designers, anyway, take deflection to be much more important than the other defenses.

One point of comparison: The Cloak of Greater Deflection and the Cloak of Greater Resistance are supposed to be comparable, one which provides +7 deflection, the other which provides +10 to each of your other three saves (so +30). That suggests that +1 deflection is supposed to be worth about +4.3 points of one of the other defenses (refl, fort, will). So that would make the Cape of the Falling Star worth about +50.1 "generic" defense points, as compared to the Giftbearer's Cloak which is worth around +45/46 "generic" defense points, and only if you devote all of your skill points to History. 

Another point of comparison: a 3rd level feat available to all classes increases refl or fort or will by +10, while a 5th level feat that only fighters can take increases defl by +4. The fighter-only restriction, and higher level requirement, make it clear that the +4 deflection boost is supposed to be a considerably better deal than the +10 boost to one defense. Again, something like a +1/+4 or +1/+5 tradeoff sounds about right, which again puts the Cape of the Falling Star ahead, value-wise.

But, of course, what the designers think and what's actually best in the game are two different things! And there's no denying that the Giftbearer's Cloak is very good. 

--Re Ring of Greater Regeneration: Yeah, the value of the ring is roughly determined by (1) what percentage of the damage you take it heals, and (2) how many other sources of healing you have to rely on.

The build I tend to run with has very high AR, which slows down damage enough such that a Ring of Greater Regeneration goes a fair way toward healing me as quickly as I get damaged. And in upscaled solo PotD, I find that a lot of fights (especially in the SSS DLC) tend to take forever, meaning that consumable healing runs out too quickly to rely on. If you're finding that you get damaged much more quickly than the ring heals you, and/or you find that you can get through upscaled PotD fights relatively quickly, then the ring will probably be of less value to you.

(I'm genuinely curious about the latter question, by the way -- do you find you can get through solo upscaled PotD fights in SSS pretty quickly? Cuz if so, I definitely should try this out -- my SSS fights seem to last forever!) 

--Re Giftbearer's Cloak: Yeah, you certainly lose more net points in defenses if you wear the Cape of the Falling Star. But the designers, anyway, take deflection to be much more important than the other defenses.

One point of comparison: The Cloak of Greater Deflection and the Cloak of Greater Resistance are supposed to be comparable, one which provides +7 deflection, the other which provides +10 to each of your other three saves (so +30). That suggests that +1 deflection is supposed to be worth about +4.3 points of one of the other defenses (refl, fort, will). So that would make the Cape of the Falling Star worth about +50.1 "generic" defense points, as compared to the Giftbearer's Cloak which is worth around +45/46 "generic" defense points, and only if you devote all of your skill points to History. 

Another point of comparison: a 3rd level feat available to all classes increases refl or fort or will by +10, while a 5th level feat that only fighters can take increases defl by +4. The fighter-only restriction, and higher level requirement, make it clear that the +4 deflection boost is supposed to be a considerably better deal than the +10 boost to one defense. Again, something like a +1/+4 or +1/+5 tradeoff sounds about right, which again puts the Cape of the Falling Star ahead, value-wise.

But, of course, what the designers think and what's actually best in the game are two different things! And there's no denying that the Giftbearer's Cloak is very good. 

--Re Ring of Greater Regeneration: Yeah, the value of the ring is roughly determined by (1) what percentage of the damage you take it heals, and (2) how many other sources of healing you have to rely on.

The build I tend to run with has very high AR, which slows down damage enough such that a Ring of Greater Regeneration goes a fair way toward healing me as quickly as I get damaged. And in upscaled solo PotD, I find that a lot of fights (especially in the SSS DLC) tend to take forever, meaning that consumable healing runs out too quickly to rely on. If you're finding that you get damaged much more quickly than the ring heals you, and/or you find that you can get through upscaled PotD fights relatively quickly, then the ring will probably be of less value to you.

(I'm genuinely curious about the latter question, by the way -- do you find you can get through solo upscaled PotD fights in SSS pretty quickly? Cuz if so, I definitely should try this out -- my SSS fights seem to last forever!) 

Different defenses are optimized for different fights and strategies.

If you have super high deflection and really low fortitude barbarian NPCs will tear you up (Brute Force).

Deflection also doesn't help vs AoE attacks that typically target Reflex.

For a tank that stands in melee, deflection will be the most important typically, but there are cases were you may want to pump other defenses. (e.g. certian encounters, or if you stack your tank's reflex so you can friendly fire spells on top of him without worry).

• Like 1

Different defenses are optimized for different fights and strategies.

If you have super high deflection and really low fortitude barbarian NPCs will tear you up (Brute Force).

Deflection also doesn't help vs AoE attacks that typically target Reflex.

For a tank that stands in melee, deflection will be the most important typically, but there are cases were you may want to pump other defenses. (e.g. certian encounters, or if you stack your tank's reflex so you can friendly fire spells on top of him without worry).

Yeah, I completely agree with all of this. 

If your fights last forever, you've eaten into the Gospel that you should stack Armour Rating... 

?

I don't think I've heard any "gospel" along these lines. I've just found that stacking AR is an effective way of surviving solo PotD runs through trial and error... : P

But in any case, if you have a build that can solo SSS on upscaled PotD, and do so quickly, I'm definitely (sincerely!) interested in hearing what it is!