Are there any active "silence" spells or abilities that prevents enemies from casting?

The only thing I've found so far in this game that does this is Glacierbane's enchant - but that's only 3 seconds and unreliable as it only activates upon crit.

Last Word Silences (technically it says can't use active abilities so it's better than silence) on crit.

Last time I played it was silenced on crit... not possible to silence on crit. 

On a crit heavy fanatic build I fought and most bosses were stuck auto attacking only.  Not sure if this has been adjusted yet.

Edited by Theosupus
  • Like 1

Last Word Silences on crit

Yes, this was what I was thinking about; but I thought it was Glacierbane - as they both have similar on-crit effects. But less reliable and short though.

Frighten and Terrify both prevent casting.

So from what you guys are saying, there is no direct "silence" spell or attack that works reliably. Instead, I have to get it as an indirect effect through a more comprehensive shutdown attacks such as stun, paralyze, frighten, etc.

Edited by Lampros

So from what you guys are saying, there is no direct "silence" spell or attack that works reliably. Instead, I have to get it as an indirect effect through a more comprehensive shutdown attacks such as stun, paralyze, frighten, etc.

frighten isn't a "complete shutdown" effect like terrify. it literally just prevents enemies from using "offensive" abilities/spells (in addition to reducing resolve by 5 and reducing power level by 3). highly effective against things like wizards and ciphers (and even like sirens or wraiths) but much less effective against priests and druids for example.

n.b. i feel like i've seen that if you cast frighten while an enemy has an offensive ability queued up, they still end up using it, though they won't do anything after that. maybe someone can verify if frighten works 100% correctly.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

frighten isn't a "complete shutdown" effect like terrify. it literally just prevents enemies from using "offensive" abilities/spells (in addition to reducing resolve by 5 and reducing power level by 3). highly effective against things like wizards and ciphers (and even like sirens or wraiths) but much less effective against priests and druids for example.

n.b. i feel like i've seen that if you cast frighten while an enemy has an offensive ability queued up, they still end up using it, though they won't do anything after that. maybe someone can verify if frighten works 100% correctly.

Got it; thanks! I thought Frighten made you run away, but I haven't used it outside of the Vithrack mask, and I don't think I paid all that much attention when that proc-ed.

Last Word Silences on crit

Yes, this was what I was thinking about; but I thought it was Glacierbane - as they both have similar on-crit effects. But less reliable and short though.

Last word shuts down all active abilities for 3 seconds when you crit with it.

Glacierbane Suppresses buffs when you crit

My fanatic dual wielded these and the hardest fights were so easy my AI could beat any encounter on POTD (total cheese) because they were auto attacking with no buffs.

• Like 1

We forgot Mage Slayer: he passively puts a spell disruption chance on a target with every hit which stacks. That's the closest thing to "silence" (together with Last Word) you can get I guess.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sure but Terrify prevents everything meanwhile Frightened is basically a Silence effect that also affects Martial.

It seems the closest thing from actual Silence in the game, and not too difficult to proc for reasonable duration (Ben Fidel shout or Secret Horrors).

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

Sure but Terrify prevents everything meanwhile Frightened is basically a Silence effect that also affects Martial.

It seems the closest thing from actual Silence in the game, and not too difficult to proc for reasonable duration (Ben Fidel shout or Secret Horrors).

I just tested Secret Horrors with a recruit at level 10, and it's a pretty big AoE. This seems very nice - at least at level 10 ;) I am not sure how it holds up later.

Wanted to ask similar question regarding beneficial reduction. If don't have wizard in party, what alternative we have beside arcane dampener?

Does weakened -25% healing helps against unbending? Kinda hate it when enemies use it

ranger has concussive tranquilizer that really eats up beneficial durations (-30). priest has cleansing flame and magran's fire which removes a little duration at each tick. there's also street sweeper, which shaves off -5s and can be upgraded to only target beneficial effects at -10.

but wizard is by far the best. that is one of their core competencies (arcane dampener, wall of draining, arcane cleanse)

• Like 1

I value Concussive Tranquilizer over Arcane Dampener because with mortars or rods you can apply it twice or even thrice (Fire in the Hole) with one shot in an AoE - but most of all it's way easier to hit with it (being a ranger with tons of accuracy bonuses and all). :)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I value Concussive Tranquilizer over Arcane Dampener because with mortars or rods you can apply it twice or even thrice (Fire in the Hole) with one shot in an AoE - but most of all it's way easier to hit with it (being a ranger with tons of accuracy bonuses and all). :)

What do you most prefer to pair with Ranger in terms of multi-class as a blunderbuss CC/ranged build?

Another would be the Chanter phrases: Thick Grew Their Tongues -> Soft Winds of Death/Dragon Thrashed.

When I first fought that bounty in Sacred Stair with the golems, I was gleefully underprepared and under-leveled.

Thick Grew Their Tongues -> Soft Winds of Death stopped the golems from using their spell ability, which they in turn kept on trying to use. This essentially locked them in an infinite loop of interrupting them. I Basically spent the next five minutes underpenetrating them to death. 

• Like 1

Another would be the Chanter phrases: Thick Grew Their Tongues -> Soft Winds of Death/Dragon Thrashed.

When I first fought that bounty in Sacred Stair with the golems, I was gleefully underprepared and under-leveled.

Thick Grew Their Tongues -> Soft Winds of Death stopped the golems from using their spell ability, which they in turn kept on trying to use. This essentially locked them in an infinite loop of interrupting them. I Basically spent the next five minutes underpenetrating them to death. 

Good stuff!

Does this bug still exist? I've heard some AI scripts used to get repeated in an infinite loop when the activation conditions get eliminated mid-activation.

Good stuff!

Does this bug still exist? I've heard some AI scripts used to get repeated in an infinite loop when the activation conditions get eliminated mid-activation.

Haven't done it in a while.

Also had a similar experience with the:

Dragon under the water shapers guild. Poor guy didn't land a single hit on me.

• Like 1