Hello, I don't think I've seen any build designed around raw damage yet. Is there a reason for this?

There are some interesting weapons that provide raw damage as well as some skills in the game. I feel like a Solo PoTD build could do well around these things.

Examples of some weapons are (upgrades not applicable):

Battleaxe - Oathbreaker's End - “Scales of Justice: Scoring a Critical Hit on an enemy causes them to take Raw Damage over time”.

Pistol - Eccea's Arcane Blaster - “Runestone Flint: Basic attack deals lesser Raw Damage”.

Blunderbuss - Xefa's Empirical Explication - “Transmogrified Shot: +15% Damage as Raw”.

Club - Kapana Taga - “Razor Bladed Bludgeon: Deals best of Crush or Slash Damage +10% Damage as Raw”.

Dagger - Lovers Embrace - “True Love's Kiss: 8 Raw Damage per 6s on Hits from Stealth”.

Greatsword - Effort - “Lacerating: Hits with this weapon cause 10% Damage as Raw Damage over time”.

Greatsword - Voidwheel - “Soul Breaker: Wielder takes 10% Damage dealt as Raw Damage to self +10% Damage as Raw”.

Pike - Wicked Beast - “Hounding: Chance to inflict Hobbled, Knockdown, Raw Damage over time for 12s, or -25% Action Speed on target on scoring Crit”.

Sabre - Animancer's Energy Blade - “Ethereal: Deals Raw Damage and attacks more quickly than a standard blade”.

Spear - Mohorā Tanga - “Red Flag Flying: 5 Raw bleed Damage per 3s for 9s on scoring Crit”.

Stiletto - Rust's Poignard - “Knife in the Back: 3 Raw Damage per 3s for 9s on scoring Hit on Flanked target”.

Sword - Watcher's Blade - “Soul Severing: +10% Damage dealt as Raw”.

War Bow - Veilpiercer - “Ethereal Arrows: +15 Accuracy against Spirits, Veil piercing attack +15% Damage as Raw”.

Estoc - Engoliero de Espirs - “10% Raw lash”.

Edited by diamondsforever
  • Thanks 1

Oathbreaker's End is a Battle Axe by the way. :)

Another source of raw damage is Carnage. It scales with Power Level so you can push it over 100% weapon base damage as raw dmg.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Nice list. You're missing Engoliero de Espirs 10% Raw lash.

Added :) Couldn’t find the proper description though.

Oathbreaker's End is a Battle Axe by the way. :)

Another source of raw damage is Carnage. It scales with Power Level so you can push it over 100% weapon base damage as raw dmg.

Revised the list.

Hmm, Carnage you say. I see some potential here I think :)

Does Base barbarian her carnage or just berserker?

All Barbarians have the same Carnage. But Corpse Eaters can get additional +2 PL with kith meat food (Forbidden Flesh Pie).

Hmm, how does the +PL work? What are the numbers behind it?

According to wiki “Carnage: 33% of Base Weapon Damage in Area on Weapon Hit”.

How are you making that 100%?

Edited by diamondsforever

I am not sure about Carnage procing off a single target. I don't know how it works. My Barbarian is rather weak. 

If you do get a Carnage proc on main target, then yeah, I suppose you can chip away happily till the end x). 

I am not sure about that working, though.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I am not sure about Carnage procing off a single target. I don't know how it works. My Barbarian is rather weak.

If you do get a Carnage proc on main target, then yeah, I suppose you can chip away happily till the end x).

I am not sure about that working, though.

That’s the idea ;)

But then again I don’t really know. I saw raw damage, sorta had a basic understanding, but, didn’t see any builds using it.

Right now I’m thinking Kind Wayfarer/Corpse Eater with Margims Favor and Oathbreaker. Heals with fore damage plus raw damage.

Hello, I don't think I've seen any build designed around raw damage yet. Is there a reason for this?

Raw damage is typically small, there's not as much sources for it as other damage types, and the armor system makes it significantly less valuable than PoE.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If you want to damage a certain enemy with raw dmg from carnage you have to attack an adjacent enemy. :)

All offensive abilities get +5% base dmg from additional Power Levels. If you are a single class Nature Godlike (+1 PL) Corpse Eater at PL 9, use Forbidden Flesh Pie (+2), Prestige (+1), Stone of Power (+1) you will be at PL 14 which means +70% base dmg. Carnage also works with MIG bonus. There must be some other kind of bonus too (which I didn't bother to discover) or the math is a bit weird because with such a setup I'm actually doing more raw dmg with Carnage than the base weapon dmg roll.

Weapon base dmg roll also gets higher when you use an offensive ability like Barbaric Blow.

It's not the holy grail of raw damage. I just wanted to add it since it is raw and not so bad if you build around it a bit.

Unfortunately low base dmg weapons which do raw dmg are a bad pick for Carnage. Fists are good.

Edited by Boeroer

Does anybody know the stats for Reaping Knives? They deal raw damage and just might be the best source of it (though of course they are a late-game weapon that requires having a Cipher in the party, so no solo play.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah, it's 12-16 base damage, 0.5s Attack Speed, 3s Recovery Speed. All normal modifiers that apply to weapons do the same to Reaping Knives. 

On top of that, they get +3% Damage, Accuracy, and Penetration* per level of the character it gets casted on.

Duration is 30s base, +/- 5% for each point of intellect above/below 10. Power Level from normal progression does not affect the duration, but Power Level changes from Focus Starved/Ascended/Empower do (+/- 5% for each Power Level). 

All in all, they are pretty decent. Another thing to note is that they aren't considered Daggers or Stilettos, just "One-Handed Weapons" that are being dual wielded. 

*They don't need penetration, but it still gets the tooltip for some reason

• Like 1

Nice list. You're missing Engoliero de Espirs 10% Raw lash.

Added :) Couldn’t find the proper description though.

It's an upgrade called SoulBlade. Guess most folks go for Blade Feast instead (healing on Ghost Blade procs).

But it's very nice of you already have Unbending, strong defenses or other nice healing / death prevention.

Edited by Haplok

If you want to damage a certain enemy with raw dmg from carnage you have to attack an adjacent enemy. :)

All offensive abilities get +5% base dmg from additional Power Levels. If you are a single class Nature Godlike (+1 PL) Corpse Eater at PL 9, use Forbidden Flesh Pie (+2), Prestige (+1), Stone of Power (+1) you will be at PL 14 which means +70% base dmg. Carnage also works with MIG bonus. There must be some other kind of bonus too (which I didn't bother to discover) or the math is a bit weird because with such a setup I'm actually doing more raw dmg with Carnage than the base weapon dmg roll.

Weapon base dmg roll also gets higher when you use an offensive ability like Barbaric Blow.

It's not the holy grail of raw damage. I just wanted to add it since it is raw and not so bad if you build around it a bit.

Unfortunately low base dmg weapons which do raw dmg are a bad pick for Carnage. Fists are good.

I've always been wondering whether Hot Razor Skewers would be better instead of the Flesh Pie in this scenario. No Potion of Ascention? Does it not stack with the Pie?

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

You can hit the same enemy with Carnage, but it requires that enemy to be moving as you hit them. They literally move into the Carnage AoE. I've had this happen on multiple occasions after using Spirit Tornado (I check my log frequently). They have to be moving fairly quickly as you hit them, and I've observed it happening on different combat speeds.

As for your Carnage damage math, of course if you push your Might and PL you will have more accuracy and do more than the base weapon damage with Carnage. This is consistent with my testing as well. The raw damage numbers will still be "low," but it'll be better than most lashes at that point. It's mostly that you tend to have more modifiers on your full attacks (Barbaric Blow, Blooded, One Stands Alone, Legendary, Bloody Slaughter, lash, etc), and Carnage doesn't apply the 5% per PL bonus multiplier until after multiplying the base weapon damage, modified by Might, by 0.33. Carnage also can't crit, and most Barbarians invest heavily into crits in order to keep up their effectiveness. If all of that still checks out, there shouldn't be a reason your math is wrong. I also haven't noticed any changes to the formula when playing the game after the Seeker Slayer update, but I should probably test it again later in case. I still have a save file right next to a group of assassin vines. I'm just not a Corpse Eater.

I also would like to second that fists are good; faster than long swords while dealing as much damage as long swords with some investment. It's been fun, and chaining Barbaric Smash with a Monk's unarmed animations has been more than satisfying.

Edited by UltimaLuminaire
  • Like 1

Berserker/Helwalker for the win (and the quick suicide).

Actually I used a Berserker/Nalpasca in my last playthrough just in order to test the wound generation from Dance of Death + drugs + Berseker Frenzy's self damage and was pretty amazed by the Fists + Carnage combo. I also was a Death Godlike (since low health is quite common with Berserkers) and that also helped Fists as well as Carnage (both scale with PL and +3 PL is pretty decent). 

Edited by Boeroer