That one is tied with bringing new bodies into combat. A lot of people can experience that issue as Deadfire is one hell of an unoptimized game.

Yup, optimization seems worse than PoE 1.
Dude, you sniped my update!
I am a gunslinger! ;)
More importantly what do you think? Not bad am I right?
Unfortunately, I don't really understand how to multi-class melee/caster or anything about casters, as I do not use them except Chanter multi-classes for a pure support role. Also, zero experience with soloing, too :(
Guaranteed this will work as your MC. Since you want to have you companions all scripted. You only have to focus on the one. Trust me, you'll love it. My testing today was amazing. My devoted got downed 6 times in the Ukaizo fight, this character made it through first try...
I generally dislike casters though - or caster hybrids. My main is pretty settled; I really love Paladin/Rogue; it's really the other slots I am experimenting with. I also really need to keep my Paladin/Rogue as a sort of a "constant" so I can compare the respective DPS of the other DPS characters in future playthroughs.
I’m the same as you. I ALWAYS pick sword and board or two handed. But this game makes casters fun... to me anyways.

I hear ya; and I may change my mind once I try a decent caster or caster hybrid build. But my experiences with casters in other games have been bad: Fragile, needing tons of preparations and consumables, requiring micro-management with every attack sequence, and having to deal with constant downtime, etc...

Of course, I do understand that this game eliminates or lessens some of those glaring issues - especially if you multi-class.

Fairly certain Freezing Pillar is not in the Iron-Clasped. Still, the philosophy here is kill quicker with AoE. You can use your Zeal for upgraded Gilded Enmity--it will have 0.2/0.3 casting with no recovery to mark 10 or so mobs, then AoE them, get the Zeal back. Ninagauth's in this case will make a short work in non-boss fights.

I suppose the choice at level 2 will come down to Merciless Gaze versus Combusting Wounds. Most would tell you to pick the Wounds and you won't make a mistake with that. Personally, I just don't like the spell :). But don't let that dissuade you. You can still use a modal for -25 Fortitude to make sure it lands proper against bosses. And once it's landed, you could just spam Meteor Showers.

Your spells will generally become more useful with Crusted Swordfish on. Not having the immunities from Captain's Banquet is a bummer, but it will make a lot of difference with 'managing' Wizard resources. If you make room for some of the defensive talents like Bear's Fortitude and such, you can actually become fully immune to statuses regardless. Worst case scenario is you using Scroll of Circle of Protection, plus if you make a habit of proccing Llengrath's +20 all defenses you can just carry that from combat to combat.

Also, if you have Cancelhaut's Skull, you can use that in one boss battle of choice when you do a solo no rest run, or every boss battle if you're ok with the loss. It will add a stack of Crushing Doom debuffs for you to follow on. If you're no resting, you can still empower to get spells back and in some boss fights that's reasonable as it may mean 3 Crushing Dooms.

An extra stack of Concentration is huge for me, personally. If it's not your thing, then by all means. It does give 1 Con and the push and pull do protect you from some of the knockdown effects in the game. You do get more of those with Galawain's Challenge on.

You are correct, my mistake. Freezing Pillar is not in Iron -Clasped. Its in Ninagauth’s Teachings though

I think Merciless Gaze may be the winner here. Seems like you’d crit a bunch more with it than without it.

I removed Ryngrym's Enervating Terror and replaced it with the passive Bear’s Fortitude. I also added Bull’s Will by getting rid of two weapon fighting.

I took your advice and stacked concentration with Captain Upright’s Belt

UPDATE #2

Looks like our lowest defense is going to be deflection at 89 and fortitude at 130. Reflex and will are at 145. Armour rating is 14. This is all pre-cast pre-fight stuff.

Build is still too consumable heavy I think, but is very tanky and has tons of utility. Any advice on making it more rounded and self sufficient would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not sure on the Wild Orlen choice, can someone confirm that this is going to make the best overall character. I’m also considering Pale Elf.

When I switched out the belt for more concentration I noticed a definite increase in damage received. It may be better overall to have slightly less concentration and higher DR?

In regards for Effigy, what is better as a secondary bonus, 5% Health or 5% Effect Duration?

Class:

Arcane Knight - Goldpact Knights/Wizard

Race:

Wild Orlen

Attributes:

MIG: 15 >> 18 (BB, GoTM)

CON: 6 >> 10 (BB, Gear, Effigy)

DEX: 15 >> 20 (BB, Gear)

PER: 19 >> 23 (BB, Gear, Cauldron Brew)

INT: 16 >> 22 (BB, Gear)

RES: 7 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

Abilities (Goldpact):

Flames of Devotion

Eternal Devotion

Lay on Hands

Greater Lay on Hands

Zealous Aura

Zealous Focus

Deep Faith

Retribution

Divine Purpose

Bull’s Will

Bear’s Fortitude

Combat Focus

Scion of Flame

Uncanny Luck

Practiced Healer

Improved Critical

Virtuous Triumph

Stoic Steel

Abilities (Wizard):

Fleet Feet

Merciless Gaze

Infuse With Vital Essence

Llengrath’s Displaced Image

Heart of the Storm

Secrets of Rime

Rapid Casting

Llengrath's Safeguard

Skills:

Arcana: 11 >> 15 (Paladin, Wizard, Gear, Training: Geivard)

Mechanics 8 >> 10 (Hunter, Training: Elias Zelen)*

Gears:

Armor: Blackened Plate Armor (Death in Life, Usher’s Visage)

QS1: Trash Mobs

Weapons (MH): Sun and Moon (Golden Sun, Solar Excellence)

Weapons (OH): Magran’s Favor (Blazing Core, Enduring Flame)

QS2: Tough Mobs

Weapons (OH): Nerian's Ward (Father’s Masterwork) or Kapana Taga (All Comers, Lone Champion)

QS3: Bosses

Grimoire 1: Trash Mobs

Iron-Clasped Grimoire

Grimoire 2: Bosses

Ninagauth’s Teachings

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT)

Belt: Upright Captain’s Belt (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Kuaru’s Prize (+1 INT, +1 PER)

Ring 2: Ring of Focused Flame

Hands: Flamethrower’s Gloves (+2 DEX)

Cloak: The Giftbearer’s Cloth

Head: Heaven’s Cacophony (+2 INT)

Boots: Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Nemnok

Consumables:

Potions of Ascension X5

Scroll of Moderate Healing X5

Scroll of Circle of Protection X5

Scroll of Great Maelstrom X5

Scroll of Meteor Shower X5

Crusted Swordfish

NOTES:

*should be able to get that to 12 with gear and 14ish with thieves putty I believe. That should enable us to open most locks in the game. With the skill bonus from Barth it should be a further 2 point bringing our total to 16. Does anyone know if there is any other items or pets that give a boost to mechanics? I think 18 is the highest lock in the game.

Edited by diamondsforever

Casters don't have it easy with boss fights here in Deadfire. The bosses are much more bullet spongy compared to PoE, and scrolls, whatever people say about them, are the equalizer. It's not going to be easy to make the combination of an Arcane Knight more self-sufficient than what it is. But that applies mostly to bosses. For the large part of the game you will be able to use your bread and butter skills and make it. Again, I can't stress how important Llengrath's Safeguard is here.  

Since you already expressed worry over self-sufficiency, I just want to say that by choosing to get Merciless gaze over Combusting Wounds you do drop quite a bit of damage. Again, I'd do that because I like it. Just want you to know that it's not always the best choice.  

I already said that I value Concentration greatly. You don't have to use the Upright's Belt if you don't feel like it :)

Personally, I think Effect Duration is a better option here as it will affect both buffs and nukes.

For race, you can always try Human as it will get the Fighting Spirit once Llengrath's procs and that's a very good buff. Once Llengrath's is on, managing hp is easier. Having any resistance is never bad, though a bit more situational, but you do have the most important resistance in Paladin kit--Perception Afflictions, so I think it's alright. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Casters don't have it easy with boss fights here in Deadfire. The bosses are much more bullet spongy compared to PoE, and scrolls, whatever people say about them, are the equalizer. It's not going to be easy to make the combination of an Arcane Knight more self-sufficient than what it is. But that applies mostly to bosses. For the large part of the game you will be able to use your bread and butter skills and make it. Again, I can't stress how important Llengrath's Safeguard is here.  

Since you already expressed worry over self-sufficiency, I just want to say that by choosing to get Merciless gaze over Combusting Wounds you do drop quite a bit of damage. Again, I'd do that because I like it. Just want you to know that it's not always the best choice.  

I already said that I value Concentration greatly. You don't have to use the Upright's Belt if you don't feel like it :)

Personally, I think Effect Duration is a better option here as it will affect both buffs and nukes.

For race, you can always try Human as it will get the Fighting Spirit once Llengrath's procs and that's a very good buff. Once Llengrath's is on, managing hp is easier. Having any resistance is never bad, though a bit more situational, but you do have the most important resistance in Paladin kit--Perception Afflictions, so I think it's alright. 

I've made sure to include safeguard into the build. even 1v1 with Ukaizo i can see its helping me.

My one problem with Merciless Gaze is that its competing with Infuse with Vital Essence for a cast.

I almost feel like if i had one more cast of each spell. Just one, Ukaizo would be that much easier. I just did a quick test between Uprights and Undying. I think this may be the case of switching out belts depending on the fight. For bosses Undying really makes a difference. for the rest of the game i think that Uprights is the way to go.

Well... here's an idea. 

You can try the Vaporous Wizardry and Rekvu's Fractured Casque. I don't know how they interact together, but it may just do the trick. I don't find the selection of spells in that Grimoire to be that great, but it'll do. 

2nd idea for boss fights is to try the uninterruptible buff from the Lay on Hands. 2 zeal might be too much, but you may end up getting enough time to actually finish the fight. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Well... here's an idea. 

You can try the Vaporous Wizardry and Rekvu's Fractured Casque. I don't know how they interact together, but it may just do the trick. I don't find the selection of spells in that Grimoire to be that great, but it'll do. 

2nd idea for boss fights is to try the uninterruptible buff from the Lay on Hands. 2 zeal might be too much, but you may end up getting enough time to actually finish the fight. 

Yea, its really just the extra cast that makes the Grimoire so good. Other than that I think there are better.

I was actually trying Greater LoH and it did work against Ukaizo for the first half of the fight. Actually right until i ran out... trying to keep Guilded up and GLOH is a ton to invest.

As a side note I tried this build vs. 5 Fampyrs (x2 Sage, X1 Rogue, X1 Chiper, X1 Priest). Zero consumables used, I was able to clean them up. It was a bit chaotic though heh.

Then that leaves you only with Fractured Casque.

Using regular Lay on Hands and Gilded Enmity should be enough to keep you going through the whole thing.

Does Uninterruptible prevent interrupts from the Vaporous Wizardry?

I haven’t tested with Fractured Casque yet. I was trying to find the console command to give an injury.

Then that leaves you only with Fractured Casque. 

Using regular Lay on Hands and Gilded Enmity should be enough to keep you going through the whole thing. 

Does Uninterruptible prevent interrupts from the Vaporous Wizardry?

Okay so I tested out Fractured Casque with Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry. They do work together, zero interrupts the entire fight with Ukaizo. The problem with the Grimoire is that it has limited attack spells. So I ended up spamming scrolls til I ran out and Ukaizo picked me up and 1 shotted me LOL.

UPDATE #3

Some changes to what skills to take at what level.

Some changes in skills, attributes, weapon proficiency and abilities

This build can defeat Ukaizo but will uses everything it has to do it.

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

PER: 19 >> 22 (BB, Gear, Cauldron Brew)

Job:

Hunter

Abilities (Goldpact):

1 Gilded Enmity

1 Lay on Hands

2 Deep Faith

3 Retribution

4 Zealous Aura

5 Flames of Devotion

6 Divine Purpose

7 Sworn Rival

8 Combat Focus

9 Eternal Devotion

10 Zealous Focus

11 Scion of Flame

13 Uncanny Luck

14 Bull’s Will

15 Bear’s Fortitude

16 Virtuous Triumph

17 Practiced Healer

18 Improved Critical

19 Stoic Steel

20 Snake’s Reflexes ***

Abilities (Wizard):

1 Fleet Feet

4 Merciless Gaze

7 Llengrath’s Displaced Image

10 Heart of the Storm

12 Secrets of Rime

13 Llengrath's Safeguard

16 Rapid Casting

19 Infuse With Vital Essence**

Weapon Proficiency:

Battle Axe

Flail (model on)

Medium Shield

Club

Users Choice 1

Users Choice 2

Skills:

Arcana: 11 >> 15 (Paladin, Wizard, BB, Gear, Training: Geivard)

Mechanics: 11 >> 13/14 (Hunter, BB, Training: Elias Zelen)*

History: MAX

Gears:

Weapons (OH): Nerian's Ward (Father’s Masterwork) or Kapana Taga (All Comers, Lone Champion)

Iron-Clasped Grimoire

Ninagauth’s Teachings

Consumables:

Potions of Ascension X5

Scroll of Circle of Protection X5****

Scroll of Meteor Shower X5*****

Crusted Swordfish

NOTES:

*should be able to get that to 12 with gear and 14ish with thieves’ putty I believe. That should enable us to open most locks in the game. With the skill bonus from Barth it should be a further 2 point bringing our total to 16. Does anyone know if there is any other items or pets that give a boost to mechanics? I think 18 is the highest lock in the game.

** not sure what to take here.

*** could also take Greater Lay on Hands, not sure if its worth it.

**** can swap for more Moderate Healing scrolls (recommended).

***** can swap for more Great Maelstorm scrolls (recommended).

Edited by diamondsforever

The problem with the Vaporous Wizardry is that your base selection on the wizard side is not that good. It's good news that you don't get interrupted, but without Slickens every boss fight will be a problem... well, Slicken will work just about everywhere, to be honest.

I think ultimately you're taking a lot of what I say here to be written in stone... and that might not be your style after all. 

I think you still want to play this is a melee fighter type a thing, but making lots of auto-attacks just isn't this combination's forte, I think. Sure, you can boost defenses, but I am still suspicious of it. it's a more touchy territory, because it comes down to how people want to play their characters. The way I play my Wizards is that I never really stay in one place for long. I see you're trying this with Blackened Plate... and I'd never wear that armour specifically against Ukaizo, I do hit and runs and avoid some of the damage. Having a lot of Slickens will help a lot with that as you will be able to close in, make a full attack debuffing Reflex, then go out, cast something, then go in, make a full attack, ect. Having an extra cast of Freezing Pillars will help a lot. Then you fill gaps with Meteor Showers and you will be able to do a lot of damage. I also think you might be full buffing at the beginning of the fight and that might not be the best way to do it against boss encounters. Specifically against Ukaizo the fight is so long that I never really use something else than Infuse and then maybe one of the Llengrath's as the need arises.

If you had more success with some of your previous builds, you can always revert back to that.  

Other than that, I think you should focus a bit more on the Wizard side, having extra spells for damage on each level and then just using Full Attacks to do some extra and debuff Reflex on the toughest of Mobs. 

Absolutely do not replace Infuse with Vital Essence. It's one of your best spells.  

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

The problem with the Vaporous Wizardry is that your base selection on the wizard side is not that good. It's good news that you don't get interrupted, but without Slickens every boss fight will be a problem... well, Slicken will work just about everywhere, to be honest.

I think ultimately you're taking a lot of what I say here to be written in stone... and that might not be your style after all. 

I think you still want to play this is a melee fighter type a thing, but making lots of auto-attacks just isn't this combination's forte, I think. Sure, you can boost defenses, but I am still suspicious of it. it's a more touchy territory, because it comes down to how people want to play their characters. The way I play my Wizards is that I never really stay in one place for long. I see you're trying this with Blackened Plate... and I'd never wear that armour specifically against Ukaizo, I do hit and runs and avoid some of the damage. Having a lot of Slickens will help a lot with that as you will be able to close in, make a full attack debuffing Reflex, then go out, cast something, then go in, make a full attack, ect. Having an extra cast of Freezing Pillars will help a lot. Then you fill gaps with Meteor Showers and you will be able to do a lot of damage. I also think you might be full buffing at the beginning of the fight and that might not be the best way to do it against boss encounters. Specifically against Ukaizo the fight is so long that I never really use something else than Infuse and then maybe one of the Llengrath's as the need arises.

If you had more success with some of your previous builds, you can always revert back to that.  

Other than that, I think you should focus a bit more on the Wizard side, having extra spells for damage on each level and then just using Full Attacks to do some extra and debuff Reflex on the toughest of Mobs. 

Absolutely do not replace Infuse with Vital Essence. It's one of your best spells.  

I"ve done a slight revision for slickens. Fleet feet really helped keep a gap between Ukaizo and my PC, but at the end when I had no spells I had to toe-to-toe the beast.

Your not wrong. I do dabble in casters here or there but my main mode of game-play has always been front-line DPS or Tanking. This build is very workable. But I think in the end I'd be happier with something a bit more in your face. That being said, this build is more than capable of taking on Ukazio or a mob of ancient Fampyrs (I tested against 5).

I think this may be my last update on this build. Its certainly playable but in the end, I don't think it achieves what I'm personally looking for.

UPDATE #5

Some minor changes to abilities. Otherwise more of the same.

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

PER: 19 >> 22 (BB, Gear, Cauldron Brew)

Job:

Hunter

Abilities (Goldpact):

1 Gilded Enmity

1 Lay on Hands

2 Deep Faith

3 Retribution

4 Zealous Aura

5 Flames of Devotion

6 Divine Purpose

7 Sworn Rival

8 Combat Focus

9 Eternal Devotion

10 Zealous Focus

11 Scion of Flame

13 Uncanny Luck

15 Bear’s Fortitude

16 Virtuous Triumph

17 Practiced Healer

18 Improved Critical

19 Stoic Steel

20 Uncanny Luck

Abilities (Wizard):

1 Slicken

4 Merciless Gaze

7 Llengrath’s Displaced Image

10 Infuse With Vital Essence

12 Secrets of Rime

13 Llengrath's Safeguard

14 Heart of the Storm

16 Rapid Casting

19 Ninagauth’s Freezing Pillar

Weapon Proficiency:

Battle Axe

Flail (model on)

Medium Shield

Club

Users Choice 1

Users Choice 2

Skills:

Arcana: 11 >> 15 (Paladin, Wizard, BB, Gear, Training: Geivard)

Mechanics: 11 >> 13/14 (Hunter, BB, Training: Elias Zelen)*

History: MAX

Gears:

Iron-Clasped Grimoire

Ninagauth’s Teachings

Consumables:

Potions of Ascension X5

Scroll of Circle of Protection X5****

Scroll of Meteor Shower X5*****

Crusted Swordfish

NOTES:

*should be able to get that to 12 with gear and 14ish with thieves’ putty I believe. That should enable us to open most locks in the game. With the skill bonus from Barth it should be a further 2 point bringing our total to 16. Does anyone know if there is any other items or pets that give a boost to mechanics? I think 18 is the highest lock in the game.

**** can swap for more Moderate Healing scrolls (recommended).

***** can swap for more Great Maelstorm scrolls (recommended).