Hello everyone, I could use some help on a build I'm putting together.

As some of you know I've been testing out the combination of DPS and overall damage resistance by creating several Paladin/X combinations.

Anyways I always test the same way. I spawn Ukaizo and see how I do. So far Arcane Knight is right behind my Devoted/Goldpact build in terms of DPS and her ability to tank any damage that come her way. Success wise she got Ukaizo to 50% facetanking everything he had.

So I would like some advice on what I'm doing wrong here. I've written out everything I can think of for this build to work. Currently it requires consumables in order to deal out some nasty DPS. What I'm hoping is that I can cut the consumable use down to just the occasional nuke if I absolutely have to.

I would like the melee DPS to be increased if possible, I'm also open to using ranged weapons if it makes the DPS increase.

I would also like to increase the overall tankiness of the build.

Lastly, I had this idea (which I"m certain I read in another post) that I could get heals through flames, is this a good idea? I did give it a go, and it seemed to be working fairly well. Can this healing be increased too?

Class:

Arcane Knight - Goldpact Knights/Evoker

Race:

Wild Orlen

Attributes:

MIG: 15 >> 18 (BB, GoTM)

CON: 6 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

DEX: 15 >> 20 (BB) >> XX (Gear)

PER: 19 >> 22 (BB, Effigy, Cauldron Brew)

INT: 18 >> 23 (BB, Gear)

RES: 6 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

Abilities (Goldpact):

Sworn Enemy

Sworn Rival

Flames of Devotion

Eternal Devotion

Lay on Hands

Zealous Aura

Exalted Endurance

Deep Faith

Retribution

Inspired Defenses

Divine Purpose

Combat Focus

Scion of Flame

Mental Fortress

Uncanny Luck

Practiced Healer

Improved Critical

Virtuous Triumph

Stoic Steel

Abilities (Evoker):

Fleet Feet

Wizards Double

Mirrored Image

Infuse With Vital Essence

Llengrath’s Displaced Image

Iron Skin

Ryngrim’s Enervating Terror

Heart of the Storm

Rapid Casting

Skills:

Arcana: 12 >> 15 (Paladin, Wizard, Gear)

Mechanics 7 >> 8 (Hunter)*

Gears:
Armor: Devil of Caroc Breastplate

Weapons (MH): Magran’s Favor (Blazing Core, Enduring Flame)
Weapons (OH): Kapana Taga (Lone Champion, All Comers)

Grimoire: Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry

Neck: Stone of Power (+1 INT)
Belt: The Undying Burden (+2 CON)
Ring 1: Voidward
Ring 2: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)
Hands: Flamethrower’s Gloves (+2 DEX)
Cloak: Cape of the Falling Star
Head: Heaven’s Cacophony (+2 INT)
Boots: Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Undecided

Consumables:

Healing Pots x10

Scroll of Great Maelstorm

Scrol of Meteor Shower

*should be able to get that to 12 or 14ish with gear I believe?

Edited by diamondsforever

I'd say:

Drop Evoker and pick clean Wizard. Use Llengrath's Safeguard--it has a very long duration and if you proc it in one fight, you can carry it over to the next.

Pick only Zealous Focus, you won't benefir with the armour from the Zealous Endurance and the heal won't be that strong, too. 

Possibly look into upgraded Lay on Hands for no Interrupts and upgraded Gilded Enmity for 1 zeal back on kill. 

Unless you come up with some other gizmos to make you uninterruptible, drop the Vaporous Wizardry and use several different tomes like Ninagauth's and Iron-clasped. Iron-clasped in particular is very potent against bosses. I don't know how that tome will interact with the helm that gives you Uninterruptible.  

Use your Slickens in a long fight. You can have up to 3 with Nemnok as a pet, provided you want to use Fleetfoot. You could also make space for some Morning Star action, use the -25 Fortitute and cheese some Combusting Wounds with +10 accuracy from Focused Flames. 

Personally, I don't like your rings. An Arcane Knight can resist everything in the game. Possibly look into the Giftbearer's Cloak. That way you can use your Focused Flame for +10 Accuracy on your Scrolls/Nukes/Flame Attack... whatever it's called. Maybe look at Kauru's Prize for the other one.

Drop both Mirrored Image and Wizard Double. Use Llengrath's Displaced. No need for Iron Skin, since you're a Goldpact, you can spam your Gilded Enmity with no recovery with that reimbursable talent.

Try to see if you can find some gear that downgrades hits and crits. There's a medium shield that does a very good job, plus the modal is quite good for casters.  

Consider Deleterious Alacrity of Motion in some fights. You will have to manage your hp a bit more, but the buff is very strong.

You don't have to use the Maelstroms and Meteor Showers all the time. You can make a small stack of other scrolls which are cheaper and very effective against particular enemies--you'll have to mind their defenses. Look at Insect Swarm, Embrace of the Earth Talon, That Storm(that one that procs each time you hit an enemy or they hit you), Ray of Fire, Pillar of Fire, Pull of Eora, Nature's Mark, Minoletta's Concussive, ect. If you overconsume scrolls you might have to spend too much time refreshing shops. 

Drop the Stone of Power. It doesn't stack with Potions of Ascension… although you will have to carry quite a bit of those... they do last for the entire fight so they're not that difficult to use. 

Keep Arcane Reflections in mind. Sometimes it can win fights easy. Having a spare tome with those around can help a lot. Or maybe even pick one of them. 

Scrolls heal quicker than potions. You can use mediocre healing scrolls with +healing done buffs to great success. 

Consider picking a bread an butter nuke like Ninagauth's Freezing pillar. It's a great 'budget' skill that will easily see you to 20 and beyond. 

You can use Battle Worn Grimoire at the start of the game. It has Chill Fog, Combusting Wounds and Minor Blights. That alone will see you to 16. 

Don't forget about Nature's Resolve.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I'd say:

Drop Evoker and pick clean Wizard. Use Llengrath's Safeguard--it has a very long duration and if you proc it in one fight, you can carry it over to the next.

Pick only Zealous Focus, you won't benefir with the armour from the Zealous Endurance and the heal won't be that strong, too.

Possibly look into upgraded Lay on Hands for no Interrupts and upgraded Gilded Enmity for 1 zeal back on kill.

Unless you come up with some other gizmos to make you uninterruptible, drop the Vaporous Wizardry and use several different tomes like Ninagauth's and Iron-clasped. Iron-clasped in particular is very potent against bosses. I don't know how that tome will interact with the helm that gives you Uninterruptible.

Use your Slickens in a long fight. You can have up to 3 with Nemnok as a pet, provided you want to use Fleetfoot. You could also make space for some Morning Star action, use the -25 Fortitute and cheese some Combusting Wounds with +10 accuracy from Focused Flames.

Personally, I don't like your rings. An Arcane Knight can resist everything in the game. Possibly look into the Giftbearer's Cloak. That way you can use your Focused Flame for +10 Accuracy on your Scrolls/Nukes/Flame Attack... whatever it's called. Maybe look at Kauru's Prize for the other one.

Drop both Mirrored Image and Wizard Double. Use Llengrath's Displaced. No need for Iron Skin, since you're a Goldpact, you can spam your Gilded Enmity with no recovery with that reimbursable talent.

Try to see if you can find some gear that downgrades hits and crits. There's a medium shield that does a very good job, plus the modal is quite good for casters.

Consider Deleterious Alacrity of Motion in some fights. You will have to manage your hp a bit more, but the buff is very strong.

You don't have to use the Maelstroms and Meteor Showers all the time. You can make a small stack of other scrolls which are cheaper and very effective against particular enemies--you'll have to mind their defenses. Look at Insect Swarm, Embrace of the Earth Talon, That Storm(that one that procs each time you hit an enemy or they hit you), Ray of Fire, Pillar of Fire, Pull of Eora, Nature's Mark, Minoletta's Concussive, ect. If you overconsume scrolls you might have to spend too much time refreshing shops.

Drop the Stone of Power. It doesn't stack with Potions of Ascension… although you will have to carry quite a bit of those... they do last for the entire fight so they're not that difficult to use.

Keep Arcane Reflections in mind. Sometimes it can win fights easy. Having a spare tome with those around can help a lot. Or maybe even pick one of them.

Scrolls heal quicker than potions. You can use mediocre healing scrolls with +healing done buffs to great success.

Consider picking a bread an butter nuke like Ninagauth's Freezing pillar. It's a great 'budget' skill that will easily see you to 20 and beyond.

You can use Battle Worn Grimoire at the start of the game. It has Chill Fog, Combusting Wounds and Minor Blights. That alone will see you to 16.

Don't forget about Nature's Resolve.

Dude, thank you so much for this well thought out and written response. I’ll do a revision when I get a chance later. So much to think about.

...which one do you think you'd use?

No clue. But I am leaning toward Mirrored, because the Deflection is higher, and I rely on it for Riposte - and it's also my lowest defense in the Trickster multi-class builds. I know it is reduced upon getting hit, but doesn't it take about 4 hits to get to 10 Deflection (Llengrath's level)?

Llengrath's protects against all hits-spells included. 

Personally, I'd use it with everything, unless I am trying to give myself an extra big lash with Deltro's, but don't let that dissuade you. 

I see. I am also seeing a ton of posts claiming that Mirrored Image causes FPS drops (though that could be an old problem now fixed). So I guess I will cast Llengrath's instead.

I'll let you figure that one on your own.

Cry :(

You guys are amazeballs.

RE: Lampros - I'm on to something here :) do you feel it?

RE: Hulk'O'Saurus - much love :down: thank you for all the awesome advice. (Side note: "Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RAAHH!!!")

UPDATE #1

We are definitely getting somewhere.

This build was able to KILL Ukaizo, which is a first in all the builds I’ve tested so far (except for my last play through Devoted/Goldpact https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105898-class-build-bloodsail-the-pirate-paladin/).

My only problem with this build is that its still to consumable heavy. Also, the second half of the fight I hand ZERO wizard spells to use and was surviving off of Gilded Enmity only… until I ran out of that… when I had to survive off of Moonwell and Major healing scrolls… until I ran out of that… and I had to use Scrolls of Meteor Shower to heal LMAO.

Ultimately this build is really close to phase 2 testing (which I feel it should curb stop), Fampyrs.

Let me know what you all think, your feedback helps me immensely

Class:

Arcane Knight - Goldpact Knights/Wizard

Race:

Wild Orlen

Attributes:

MIG: 15 >> 18 (BB, GoTM)

CON: 6 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

DEX: 15 >> 20 (BB) >> XX (Gear)

PER: 19 >> 23 (BB, Effigy, Cauldron Brew)

INT: 16 >> 22 (BB, Gear)

RES: 7 >> 10 (BB, Gear)

Abilities (Goldpact):

Flames of Devotion

Eternal Devotion

Lay on Hands

Greater Lay on Hands

Zealous Aura

Zealous Focus

Deep Faith

Retribution

Inspired Defenses

Divine Purpose

Combat Focus

Scion of Flame

Mental Fortress

Uncanny Luck

Practiced Healer

Improved Critical

Virtuous Triumph

Stoic Steel

Two Weapon Fighting

Abilities (Wizard):

Fleet Feet

Slicken

Infuse With Vital Essence

Llengrath’s Displaced Image

Ryngrim’s Enervating Terror

Heart of the Storm

Rapid Casting

Skills:

Arcana: 12 >> 15 (Paladin, Wizard, Gear)

Mechanics 7 >> 8 (Hunter)*

Gears:

Armor: Devil of Caroc Breastplate

QS1: Trash Mobs

Weapons (MH): Sun and Moon (Golden Sun, Solar Excellence) - Unbalancing Strikes ON

Weapons (OH): Magran’s Favor (Blazing Core, Enduring Flame)

QS2: Tough Mobs

Weapons (MH): Please make a suggestion

Weapons (OH): Please make a suggestion

QS3: Bosses

Weapons (MH): Please make a suggestion

Weapons (OH): Please make a suggestion

Grimoire: Iron-Clasped Grimoire

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+2 CON)

Ring 1: Kuaru’s Prize (+1 INT, +1 PER)

Ring 2: Ring of Focused Flame

Hands: Flamethrower’s Gloves (+2 DEX)

Cloak: The Giftbearer’s Cloth

Head: Heaven’s Cacophony (+2 INT)

Boots: Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Nemnok

Consumables:

Potions of Ascension

Healing Scrolls X5

Healing Moonwell X5

Scroll of Great Maelstrom

Scroll of Meteor Shower

*should be able to get that to 12 or 14ish with gear I believe?

Edited by diamondsforever

That one is tied with bringing new bodies into combat. A lot of people can experience that issue as Deadfire is one hell of an unoptimized game. 

Yup, optimization seems worse than PoE 1.

Dude, you sniped my update!

I am a gunslinger! ;)

Train of Thought. Peruse at will:

I'm not too keen on the Inspired Defences. It might look good, but in boss battles their strikes usually take a bit longer than 3 s for it to count. And during most of the rest of the game they'll be changing their attacks, regardless. You can pick Llengrath's Safeguard instead, which is missing from your base selection... and that's a bummer.

Mental Fortress is not that important. You can switch for something else, possibly Merciless Gaze.

Retribution is also kind of meh, considering you do more with spells. You can look into more Wizard gizmos, instead. 

Ryngrym's Enervating terror doesn't help you that much. At this point you're better off either nuking or stacking defenses. You can change for Freezing Pillar, or take Secrets of Rime. 

Two Weapon Fighting is kind of unnecessary as you do get quite a bit of damage off your bread and butter nukes. You do dual wield two weapons to buff elemental damage and your Flame attack will be strong enough, even if slightly slower. 

If you can fit potion of Perfect Aim there somewhere, that'll help you greatly. I think you can swap the Moonwells out. Kill quicker, heal less.  

Belt of the Upright Captain will give you an important immunity and another stack of Concentration, so you can consider that, too. 

For tough mobs look into Nerin's Ward with Modal and wield Sun and Moon for Modal -25 reflex. Or if you don't want to be changing all the weapons around, you can just take Kapana Taga for extra tank. The extra downgrades help immensely. 

For bosses just dual wield Magran's and Sun and Moon. 

You can do a Red Hand for the weapon buff damage, though I don't know whether it will work for your dual wield setup. 

You can look into Gerrari's Skin, Fleshmender or Blackened Plate. All of these items have great enchantments that fit the build. Caroc is alright, but it doesn't benefit you that much, you being a caster.  

Lastly, that comes from me liking games like Underrail, you can just put all points into Arcana and possibly even pick a profession for it, as well. It will boost damage, penetration and accuracy. Need I say what difference that will make, but I know where all the traps are so... For some min max you can take Arcanist Balms before combat.  

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

That one is tied with bringing new bodies into combat. A lot of people can experience that issue as Deadfire is one hell of an unoptimized game. 

I am a gunslinger! ;)

More importantly what do you think? Not bad am I right?

I am a gunslinger! ;)

Unfortunately, I don't really understand how to multi-class melee/caster or anything about casters, as I do not use them except Chanter multi-classes for a pure support role. Also, zero experience with soloing, too :(

Train of Thought. Peruse at will:

I'm not too keen on the Inspired Defences. It might look good, but in boss battles their strikes usually take a bit longer than 3 s for it to count. And during most of the rest of the game they'll be changing their attacks, regardless. You can pick Llengrath's Safeguard instead, which is missing from your base selection... and that's a bummer.

Mental Fortress is not that important. You can switch for something else, possibly Merciless Gaze.

Retribution is also kind of meh, considering you do more with spells. You can look into more Wizard gizmos, instead. 

Ryngrym's Enervating terror doesn't help you that much. At this point you're better off either nuking or stacking defenses. You can change for Freezing Pillar, or take Secrets of Rime. 

Two Weapon Fighting is kind of unnecessary as you do get quite a bit of damage off your bread and butter nukes. You do dual wield two weapons to buff elemental damage and your Flame attack will be strong enough, even if slightly slower. 

If you can fit potion of Perfect Aim there somewhere, that'll help you greatly. I think you can swap the Moonwells out. Kill quicker, heal less.  

Belt of the Upright Captain will give you an important immunity and another stack of Concentration, so you can consider that, too. 

For tough mobs look into Nerin's Ward with Modal and wield Sun and Moon for Modal -25 reflex. Or if you don't want to be changing all the weapons around, you can just take Kapana Taga for extra tank. The extra downgrades help immensely. 

For bosses just dual wield Magran's and Sun and Moon. 

You can do a Red Hand for the weapon buff damage, though I don't know whether it will work for your dual wield setup. 

You can look into Gerrari's Skin, Fleshmender or Blackened Plate. All of these items have great enchantments that fit the build. Caroc is alright, but it doesn't benefit you that much, you being a caster.  

Lastly, that comes from me liking games like Underrail, you can just put all points into Arcana and possibly even pick a profession for it, as well. It will boost damage, penetration and accuracy. Need I say what difference that will make, but I know where all the traps are so... For some min max you can take Arcanist Balms before combat.  

God*amn! :wub:

So a couple questions/comments:

1. I seem to run out of "wizard gizmos" so if I swap retribution out for something else (Merciless Gaze) how do i mange the loss of spells?

2. Upright Captain's Belt - Seems to only give a concentration bonus. Does the push/pull immunity apply to knockdowns?

3. I was able get Secrets of Rime into the build (still concerned about resource management), Freezing Pillar is in the Iron Clasped Grimoire

I am a gunslinger! ;)

Unfortunately, I don't really understand how to multi-class melee/caster or anything about casters, as I do not use them except Chanter multi-classes for a pure support role. Also, zero experience with soloing, too :(

Guaranteed this will work as your MC. Since you want to have you companions all scripted. You only have to focus on the one. Trust me, you'll love it. My testing today was amazing. My devoted got downed 6 times in the Ukaizo fight, this character made it through first try... Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 1

I am a gunslinger! ;)
Guaranteed this will work as your MC. Since you want to have you companions all scripted. You only have to focus on the one. Trust me, you'll love it. My testing today was amazing. My devoted got downed 6 times in the Ukaizo fight, this character made it through first try...

I generally dislike casters though - or caster hybrids. My main is pretty settled; I really love Paladin/Rogue; it's really the other slots I am experimenting with. I also really need to keep my Paladin/Rogue as a sort of a "constant" so I can compare the respective DPS of the other DPS characters in future playthroughs.

I am a gunslinger! ;)
Guaranteed this will work as your MC. Since you want to have you companions all scripted. You only have to focus on the one. Trust me, you'll love it. My testing today was amazing. My devoted got downed 6 times in the Ukaizo fight, this character made it through first try...

I generally dislike casters though - or caster hybrids. My main is pretty settled; I really love Paladin/Rogue; it's really the other slots I am experimenting with. I also really need to keep my Paladin/Rogue as a sort of a "constant" so I can compare the respective DPS of the other DPS characters in future playthroughs.
I’m the same as you. I ALWAYS pick sword and board or two handed. But this game makes casters fun... to me anyways. Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 1

Fairly certain Freezing Pillar is not in the Iron-Clasped. Still, the philosophy here is kill quicker with AoE. You can use your Zeal for upgraded Gilded Enmity--it will have 0.2/0.3 casting with no recovery to mark 10 or so mobs, then AoE them, get the Zeal back. Ninagauth's in this case will make a short work in non-boss fights.

I suppose the choice at level 2 will come down to Merciless Gaze versus Combusting Wounds. Most would tell you to pick the Wounds and you won't make a mistake with that. Personally, I just don't like the spell :). But don't let that dissuade you. You can still use a modal for -25 Fortitude to make sure it lands proper against bosses. And once it's landed, you could just spam Meteor Showers. 

Your spells will generally become more useful with Crusted Swordfish on. Not having the immunities from Captain's Banquet is a bummer, but it will make a lot of difference with 'managing' Wizard resources. If you make room for some of the defensive talents like Bear's Fortitude and such, you can actually become fully immune to statuses regardless. Worst case scenario is you using Scroll of Circle of Protection, plus if you make a habit of proccing Llengrath's +20 all defenses you can just carry that from combat to combat.   

Also, if you have Cancelhaut's Skull, you can use that in one boss battle of choice when you do a solo no rest run, or every boss battle if you're ok with the loss. It will add a stack of Crushing Doom debuffs for you to follow on. If you're no resting, you can still empower to get spells back and in some boss fights that's reasonable as it may mean 3 Crushing Dooms.  

An extra stack of Concentration is huge for me, personally. If it's not your thing, then by all means. It does give 1 Con and the push and pull do protect you from some of the knockdown effects in the game. You do get more of those with Galawain's Challenge on. 

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png