Started playing Divinity 2 and...

I can't like D:OS. It pushes all my eww-buttons somehow.

That's kind of weird since I really like the original Divine Divinity.

I'm still happy that Larian has success with it. The genre needs success. I even backed DO:S although I suspected it's not my thing. A few hours very much confirmed that suspicion.

I can't even say why. For comparison: I liked Blackguards. Blackguards over D:OS - can you believe it? ;)

Deadfire (for me and despite its flaws) is a league above D:OS.

I have the same problem , i tried very very hard to like this games , i have 1 &2 but i just can't get into it , o dont know why , old style rpgs are so rare , really sad i can't like DoS , with POE 1 & 2 was so natural , i just start playing and get invested in the game in the first 2 minutes ....

D:OS does wonders with the elements, puddles, barrels and clouds. I'd love to see something like that in PoE, if it goes well with other elements in the game.

See, this was actually one of the (many, many) things I disliked about D:OS. How come these elements were always very available exactly when you needed them and very conveniently positioned exactly how you needed them? It was very fourth-wall breaking for me.

Exactly where I needed? No, I had to carry many barrels to make things even more convenient. :p

As I said, this game is not exactly serious. But we could have a version of this that doesn't break the fourth wall. For example: have surface, rain and cloud spells.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

I still can't get over how all your characters can fly around, I mean game is great fun.  Best part in DOS2 is how they dealt with sleeping - or lack of sleeping I should say - kind of clever.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Sorry was being a little sarcastic - I meant the game is great fun, but I don't like how the characters can basically fly.  And I only meant it was clever because

There is a line in the game where basically they tell you that your characters aren't needing sleep because they area becoming The Divine - I guess it could also explain how you can fly ...

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I have the same problem , i tried very very hard to like this games , i have 1 &2 but i just can't get into it , o dont know why , old style rpgs are so rare , really sad i can't like DoS , with POE 1 & 2 was so natural , i just start playing and get invested in the game in the first 2 minutes ....

I think the difference is simple: D:OS1&2 are great coop RPGs. I had a wonderful time playing through the 1st chapter of D:OS1 with a friend, had a dull time beating the game myself, gave up on D:OS2 midway through. They are extremely tedious games when played alone, combat is fun when shared with a friend, not as engaging by myself. It’s a sandbox with a vast space for hijinks, but the game itself won’t really respond to you.

• Like 2

They are extremely tedious games when played alone, combat is fun when shared with a friend, not as engaging by myself. It’s a sandbox with a vast space for hijinks, but the game itself won’t really respond to you.

Your opinion. I certainly don't feel that way.

• Like 1

They are extremely tedious games when played alone, combat is fun when shared with a friend, not as engaging by myself. It’s a sandbox with a vast space for hijinks, but the game itself won’t really respond to you.

Your opinion. I certainly don't feel that way.

That's it is no good alone is certainly my opinion. However, there are multiple mechanics, which don't work when you play singleplayer, whenever it is arguing between character what to do, or dyeing a poison to fool your coop player that its a healing potion. Add to that that you can't switch between characters in dialogue, which makes sense if different people control, but is a poor design if there is only one player etc.

I'd left this topic open because there was originally some compare/contrast with Deadfire.

However the topic is veering into discussing Divinity Original Sin 2 without any connection to Deadfire, which is off-topic.  The COMPUTER AND CONSOLE forum is the appropriate forum for discussion of non-Obsidian games (there is an existing, albeit older, thread on DOS2 there as well - https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/93751-dos-ii/)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man