Started playing Divinity 2 and...

Wait until you see the power creep with the gear.  :aiee: 

I actually like both games equally, for different reasons. 

Camera angle was fine. Multiplayer was fun.  The tone is a lot lighter and the humor was funny. Story was good until the last two parts (which they apparently fixed with enhanced edition). Combat is fun, but more tactical than strategic. Companions are decently written, but not as good as Deadfire. Progression/Character Advancement was good except for the aforementioned power creep with the gear. 

Combat is fun, but more tactical than strategic.

Not quite sure what you want to say with that x). 

Anyways... 

Mmmyeah... Deadfire is a league above in a number of departments compared to DoS 2.

Wait, you think so?  I'm used to people saying it the other way around, but I haven't played DOS 1 or 2.

Like I said, game starts quite strong and it just slowly comes to a point where it sort of shrugs and tells you: 'That's all.'

Deadfire has a number of problems that do exist in DoS2, as well(ironically). DoS1 is a bit of a different beast as the tone and combat there are quite different. All in all, Deadfire does come out of the water a bit more dry.

Multiplayer is always fun(even in BGEE), if you can find somebody who is not after a grind fest and/or will not aggro everything. 

I actually do want to run the game on For Honour under Definitive, but people are not that organized. 

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I will take Isometric camera over rotaty 3d thing any time. That said, just like it was the case with NWN2, a big sell of Divinity2 is it's custom content creator package, and it is easier to make a lever editor for 3d than isometric I guess... I think? Starcraft2 is isometric and also has leveler editor no? 

Need to give Divinity2 another chance now, when new stuff is in. Someday.

Been playing tower of time. Its a gg. Fun character development, fun equiptment customization, fun battles, good enough story and interesting atmosphere.

Never played divine 2 but thought divine 1 was boring. Couldnt finish it after 2 seperate attempts. I did like the sandbox, multiple paths for quest completion though.

• Like 2

Been playing tower of time. Its a gg. Fun character development, fun equiptment customization, fun battles, good enough story and interesting atmosphere.

Never played divine 2 but thought divine 1 was boring. Couldnt finish it after 2 seperate attempts. I did like the sandbox, multiple paths for quest completion though.

Wow that game looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Combat is fun, but more tactical than strategic.

Not quite sure what you want to say with that x). 

Anyways...

Tactic = The means to actually achieve an objective. Strategy = Overall planning.

The combat in D:OS2 focuses more on what you actually do in the combat encounter and what actions you take to succeed like using the terrain and environment against your enemies whereas POE/Deadfire focuses on more on the strategic planning like gear, attributes, party composition.

I'm not saying that Deadfire doesn't have tactical elements to it's combat (In fact, it has much more than POE), just less than D:OS2. Likewise, it's not that D:OS2 doesn't have strategic elements to it's combat, it's just less than POE/Deadfire.

I can't like D:OS. It pushes all my eww-buttons somehow.

That's kind of weird since I really like the original Divine Divinity.

I'm still happy that Larian has success with it. The genre needs success. I even backed DO:S2 although I suspected it's not my thing. A few hours very much confirmed that suspicion.

I can't even say why. For comparison: I liked Blackguards. Blackguards over D:OS - can you believe it? ;)

Deadfire (for me and despite its flaws) is a league above D:OS.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ah, I’ve played DOS1 the time POE1 was out and I’m playing DOS2 now.

Let me say I much prefer turn based compared to real time and my dream was to incorporate DOS1 combat system in a game with POE’s atmosphere and class system.

Now, with DOS2 they improved everything compared to the first game (companions, scope, races, lessened cartoonish humor, etc) EXCEPT combat.

After the first excitement of being introduced to the game battles started to become a chore for me due to the armor/magic armor mechanic.

It literally makes no difference if you have 100 or 1000 hit points – once armors are depleted it’s a constant CC lockfest.

This along with the fact that you have gained your endgame abilities by midgame, leaving you nothing more to look up to ability wise really took the excitement out of me.

Again the game is quality – its combat it not for me though

I agree with the OP i really didnt like the camera in DOS 2 found it limiting but there is a mod out there to expand the camera view to help. But i also dont like combat that much either especially the armor. but theres several mods out there im eyeing to give DOS2 a try one day.

For what it's worth Divinity Original Sin 2 is incredibly better than 1, I had a terrible time trying to get into 1 but 2 really clicked for me (to the point that I'm even considering giving 1 another try at a later date once I'm done with other CRPGs). 

Thanks for pointing out Tower of Time, I remember watching a video some time ago but there are so many games these days it's become very hard to keep track of the new releases and even more difficult to tell which ones are actually worth the time. 

Guest Blutwurstritter

It boils down to a matter of taste. I personally find Divinity Original Sin 1 better than D:OS2 and i find both D: OS games better than PoE 1/2. I like the combat of D:OS while the combat of PoE is mostly an unresponsive cluster**** to me. I finished both Pillars 1 and 2 on hard, but it dragged on since combat was unsatisfying. It was not difficult to win but combat felt rather unrewarding and boring. The world and atmosphere and the Roleplaying kept me going for most of the part in PoE I/II while in D:OS 1/2 i actually enjoyed the combat mechanics. For me personally game mechanics are more important and only few games can make up for displeasing mechanics. The question is which mechanic you enjoy or how you weight mechanics and story, etc. I liked the disabling and spell variety of D:OS more than the system of PoE. Perhaps i missed the point of the combat system in PoE but for me it boiled down to buffing your accuracy while debuffing enemy defense, rinse and repeat in every single fight. The argument can be applied to D:OS 2 too where it boils down to dropping enemy armor sou you can apply disables, which is why i prefer D:OS 1 with its probability system.

I prefer D:OS1 than 2 and I think they are both really good games. But I consider PoE and Deadfire even better, mainly because of:

- Isometric

- More serious tone

- That D&D feeling (classes, races, etc)

D:OS does wonders with the elements, puddles, barrels and clouds. I'd love to see something like that in PoE, if it goes well with other elements in the game.

sign.jpg

Mmmyeah... Deadfire is a league above in a number of departments compared to DoS 2.

Wait, you think so?  I'm used to people saying it the other way around, but I haven't played DOS 1 or 2.

I would say they're on par if you like turn based combat. Both have good stories, interesting characters and lots to explore. Obsidian as well as Larian belong to my favorite companies. Never been disappointed by either one.

• Like 1

D:OS does wonders with the elements, puddles, barrels and clouds. I'd love to see something like that in PoE, if it goes well with other elements in the game.

See, this was actually one of the (many, many) things I disliked about D:OS. How come these elements were always very available exactly when you needed them and very conveniently positioned exactly how you needed them? It was very fourth-wall breaking for me.