If Obsidian games will stop making games for Linux and selling it via Steam or GoG they will also stop seeing a Blue Orlan.

Well, maybe that means I will be doing healthier things in my free time.

Always look on the bright side! ;)

• Like 9

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If Obsidian games will stop making games for Linux and selling it via Steam or GoG they will also stop seeing a Blue Orlan.

You know what happened: Microsoft saw this thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106183-lets-have-an-intervention-to-save-boeroer-from-his-gaming-addiction/

and decided to help you. 

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

Yes, at least we will be able to log in on forums using Microsoft account and download Pillars through Windows Store :D

I hope everyone at Obsidian gets rich, they all deserve a nice buyout.

Clearly, us forum contributors deserve a cut too! Just Pm me the check . . .

More seriously, we've been in a RPG golden age for a few years now so it makes sense that we're hitting the corporate consolidation phase. As long as Microsoft stays hands-off and doesn't go Full Electronic Arts, I'll deal. I would really hate the lack of steam access though, I still haven't played the last Dragon Age game because it isn't on Steam and I don't want to bother with multiple platforms. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 4

I don't get that thing. Has Obsidian not the option to say no? Or is it all about the money, like usual?

Perhaps they want to? Either because they want the money or they think it is genuinely a good idea.

Perhaps Obsidian is in bad financial state right now, or perhaps they have projected they will be in a bad state as a mid-sized independent company in the industry in the near future (financially or structurally).

Who knows?

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

Please, everyone stay calm...This may still turn out to be red herring and Microsoft will just buy GOG or Steam.

I don't get that thing. Has Obsidian not the option to say no? Or is it all about the money, like usual?

Feargus Urquheart (Obsidian CEO) has stated repeatedly in the past (like here) that he is open to any acquisition proposals = "Please send me your buyout offers".

I can't really blame him either. If you are of middle age in your late 40s then security becomes more important than entrepreneurish adventure or idealism. It would be really crappy for him if Obsidian folded.

The risks are substantial. Obsidian have had a few close calls in the past and being based in Southern California drives up their costs significantly. I can totally understand if Feargus wants to cash in to be on the safe side financially for the rest of his life instead of having sleepless nights when a publisher cancels a project or when they are up in the air between projects pitching and pitching with no contract.

That said, it would be really sad for us gamers, of course. Especially Microsoft. They have done everything in their power to force people unto Xbox so I have very little hope that future Obsidian games would be made with a focus on PC.

Like, Deadfire is getting ported from PC to consoles. Under Microsoft this would most likely be the other way around... maybe the game(s) would even be timed Xbox exclusives, Windows Store only (no GOG or Steam) and the games would surely get massively dumbed down for consoles/controllers.

Edited by Moriendor
  • Like 1

I hope everyone at Obsidian gets rich, they all deserve a nice buyout.

Clearly, us forum contributors deserve a cut too! Just Pm me the check . . .

More seriously, we've been in a RPG golden age for a few years now so it makes sense that we're hitting the corporate consolidation phase. As long as Microsoft stays hands-off and doesn't go Full Electronic Arts, I'll deal. I would really hate the lack of steam access though, I still haven't played the last Dragon Age game because it isn't on Steam and I don't want to bother with multiple platforms. 

I second this I hope they all make off like bandits, more likely then they will come back after any non-compete clause ends ;)

The risks are substantial. Obsidian have had a few close calls in the past and being based in Southern California drives up their costs significantly.

Huh?  That's like an anti-California talking point straight from the Libertarian playbook ... It's not like they are based in downtown Hollywood - I mean Irvine is kind of like ... well anyway its nice down there lol ...

Edited by aaronghowell

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

It's all about money. You think Feargus and co really have passion in making games? The game designers and developers perhaps. For Feargus and co is just about money.

No more steam and gog locking down exclusives to consoles, obsidian literally just gave a middle finger to backers who have supported them

Edited by Archaven

It's all about money. You think Feargus and co really have passion in making games? The game designers and developers perhaps. For Feargus and co is just about money.

This just in: business needs money to run. Nation in shock.

• Like 9

This just in: business needs money to run. Nation in shock.

And a great brand is turned to **** on the way. As has been the case with Bioware.

Perhaps they want to? Either because they want the money or they think it is genuinely a good idea.

Perhaps Obsidian is in bad financial state right now, or perhaps they have projected they will be in a bad state as a mid-sized independent company in the industry in the near future (financially or structurally).

Who knows?

Being a mid-sized video game developer anytime in the past 20 years = being constantly and perpetually in financial danger of folding if just one or two contracts go bad.

This is a well documented truth about the way the industry has been structured - and it only gets exacerbated with Obsidian being in California and other factors.

Given that Obsidian specifically has shaved off bankruptcies by the skin of their teeth several times, listening seriously to any buyout offer is a given.

• Like 1

Trolly-troll got his intervention after all :)
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Oof.

If this goes through Obsidian better provide an address where I can send envelopes of cash, because I have sworn the holiest of vows to never give Microsoft any money.

Which reminds me, I should be moving everything out of github soon. Oof.