The Deadfire cookbook - post your real-world recipies?

Hi!

Would anybody be interested in trying out some of the Deafire recepies for food in real life and post the "real" recipe (maybe with a photo)?

Since I have to cook every day and sometimes really struggle to come up with new ideas (that are not too fancy) I thought Deadfire's stuff like "Mariner's Porridge", "Crusted Swordfish" etc. might be fun to try.

I don't want to be too finicky. For example it will be really hard to get real Swordfish and other stuff you don't want to buy - like Wale Meat and so on. And of course kith meat is off the table (pun intended). ;)

I think the first thing I'd want to try are Glazed Chops...

What do you think?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Glazed Chops would be fairly easy and good as pork goes well with roasted pineapple. 

I'd marinate the chops in little white wine and pineapple juice, as that one tenderizes the chops. After that some salt, little pepper and sugar, oven roast until slightly brown, then put pineapple slices on top, sprinkle some brown sugar and finish. That way you skip all the pan frying as it's quite messy. You can eat with a large potato boiled in the microwave for extra quick no hassle. 

PS: if you can find gammon, that will be even easier than raw pork but just as tasty. 

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus
  • Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I think I have the weekend off and will give something a try depending on sales or ingredients available. We talking just main courses or are there some deserts there too?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Looking at the various recipes a lot of them look like they could have many variations on them. I'll try the yolk bowl and either tha ribs or glazed chops and post whatever recipe I use here.

Does Forgetful Night count? ;)

I'm pretty sure I've come up with something stronger tbh. Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

And you can't translate them because...? ;)

Rauatai Cookies would be great to do with my kids I guess. Then they can bring them over to Grandma for Christmas.

Edited by Boeroer

I did something close to the Yolk bowl. Cooked some chicken in a cast iron skillet, cooked some onions and rice with thyme, added chicken stock and put the cooked chicken on top before baking it covered for 50 minutes. Topped with some ginger-garlic broccoli with bacon(there's some green in the icon I assume is a vegetable) and topped with a fried egg. Overall pretty good and simple like the Deadfire dish, but needs some heat for my tastes. All units will be imperial/usc so you metric users will have to convert. Sorry about that.

Chicken

Oil for cooking

About a pound of Chicken, Thighs or Breasts

Seasonings of your choice (salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin is what I used)

Rice

1 tbsp Butter

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 cup white rice

1 tsp dried thyme

2 Cups Chicken Broth

Salt to taste

Broccoli

Oil for cooking

2 cups Broccoli Florets

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp minced ginger

1/4 cup bacon chopped optional (I had some leftover and the saltiness really helped the broccoli out)

Egg

Butter

4 Eggs

Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat Oven to 350 F

Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Add oil when hot.

Season Chicken. (you can do this before and let the chicken marinate, I wouldn't recommend more than 4 hours) Add Chicken to skillet and cook until browned. Trandfer cooked chicken onto a plate and keep warm.

Lower heat to medium-low, add butter to skillet and melt.

Add onions to butter, cook until softened about one minute.

Add rice and thyme to skillet and cook for 1 minute.

Add the chicken broth and stir. Remove from heat and top with cooked chicken.

Cover skillet with lid or foil, put into oven for 45-50 minutes.

While chicken and rice cook, heat a skillet with oil.

Add garlic and ginger to skillet and cook until fragrant, about one minute.

Add Broccoli to skillet and cook until tender. If desired add bacon to skillet when Broccoli is close to done.

Remove from skillet and keep warm. Wipe out skillet.

When chicken and rice is done, heat butter in skillet.

Add eggs and fry them, cooking to over-easy at most so yolk is runny.

Plate dish with chicken and rice, then broccoli, then fried egg.

• Like 1

I thought about that, but this method results in a better chicken and rice than roasting the chicken and boiling the rice separately. I spent more time prepping than I did cooking tbh.

And you can't translate them because...? ;)

Rauatai Cookies would be great to do with my kids I guess. Then they can bring them over to Grandma for Christmas.

I'm extremely lazy. But you're kind of like L'oreal. Worth it. So here you go.

Prepare:

1x egg white

4/5 glasses (160g) of powdered sugar

1/3 glass (30g) of natural cocoa

1/2 a spoon of unfettered coffee

1/2 glass (50g) of milk chocolate (in small pieces)

a pinch of salt

(optional) two drops of vanilla aroma

1 spoon of rapeseed oil (can I just say that whoever came up with "rapeseed" is my personal hero? Only because it passed, and its name in my language is so bland)

Set oven to 180 degrees and let it warm up before you begin.

Put cocoa, powdered sugar, unfettered coffee and salt in a bowl. Mix them.

Add egg white and (optional) two drops of vanilla aroma, or real vanilla seeds. Mix until you get a thick, shiny, dark mass. Then add chocolate and mix again.

Make sure to use rapeseed oil on the baking paper before you form the cookies as they are quite sticky. Form round shapes with the diameter of around 5-6 cm. Leave some space between them, because they will increase in size during baking.

Put them into the hot oven. Make sure you do it as soon as you form them, because they can't be left in the room temperature for too long. Bake them for around 10 minutes, until their surface is cracked an shiny. After you take them out of the oven, wait until they cool off before you do anything to them.

Edited by Manveru123
  • Like 1

I tried to make the Mariner‘s Porridge and it turned out to be pretty nice: I mixed 2 eggs, 6 slices of rusk/zwieback with a little bit of hot vegetable broth to make it a mushy mixture and added some beer, not too much. I placed the dough into a high plate and added a raw egg into the center and baked the whole thing for about 15mins at 180 degrees.

Edit: Forgot the picture. Yeah, I should have used an ovenproof dish, now it has some nice texture... ^^ post-188166-0-95852000-1540712251_thumb.jpg

Edited by KatrinK
  • Like 3

Nice.

Haven't read the word "Zwieback" in years. Makes me think of my Grandma. She made me Zwieback with butter and sugar when I was little. Quite disgusting - but nostalgia always wins! ;)

• Like 1

Nice.

Haven't read the word "Zwieback" in years. Makes me think of my Grandma. She made me Zwieback with butter and sugar when I was little. Quite disgusting - but nostalgia always wins! ;)

Well, that's the point, isn't it? Hardtack gives your crew a -1 morale and with pure zwieback it's pretty much the same. ;-) Didn't hear of the butter+sugar version though. Zwieback was given to us kids back then, when we had serious digestive issues... Perfect for journeys on open seas, too, was my thought.

But I think for this recipe you can use any kind of tasteless cracker.