Hey guys, I'm really wanting to re-roll, but I can't decide on a build. I was hoping you'd help out?

Basically, I have, like, 200 hrs in on PotD. I'm fairly familiar with the game. I've not completed any of the DLC, but I have a season pass. Above all else, I'm looking for a fun build to keep me interested.

Limitations for the build:

Fun

Mostly melee oriented

High dps, would like to be a hoss

Micro is a plus, I play all the battles on the slowest setting without AI. That's fun to me

Not a late bloomer

Spent a lot of time as a devoted/berserker, so not that

My party does not use summons

Don't like chanters

I'm not good enough to live bloodied

Party has to have eder as a fighter/rouge

So that's it. I was really eyeing up the paladin/monk that focuses on fire levels with magrans favor... But I'm worried that doesn't going until late in the game.

If anyone has interesting companion builds to accompany, I'd love to hear that too.

Thank you

My favorite is spellblade - you have great dps and mobility of rogue coupled with buffs,debuffs and flexibility of a mage. Spirit lance and minor blights hit in aoe making your guile abilities aoe too. Strong from level 1 to end game. Reminds me a bit of fighter/mage multi in baldur's gate 2, though nowhere near as broken.

A Nalpazca Sage is a fun, flexible multiclass that gives you great damage /w Citzal's Spirit Lance and Ninagauth's Teachings, and isn't too squishy. I prefer Berserker Warlock for the sheer action speed/recovery but like to keep him Bloodied.

Perhaps a Soulblade/Trickster Mindstalker? Tanky enough to be a solid offtank, has good damage output with Soul Annihilation + Sneak Attack + Rogue Abilities and A LOT of nasty tricks in his sleeve.

Seconded, especially the nasty tricks department. Secret Horrors is a great opener for bursting down a foe (lowers Deflection and max Health).

Edited by Ophiuchus

Perhaps a Soulblade/Trickster Mindstalker? Tanky enough to be a solid offtank, has good damage output with Soul Annihilation + Sneak Attack + Rogue Abilities and A LOT of nasty tricks in his sleeve.

I like rogues, but I've always found ciphers underwhelming. I've not done a soul blade though. Is it just spamming Soul Annihilation?

Do you guys have an idea on a multiclass paladin survivability? What class would you bring in for a big dps boost? I like the idea of going fire or decay themed from there, but I don't have enough game knowledge to plan it out.

• Like 2

I like rogues, but I've always found ciphers underwhelming. I've not done a soul blade though. Is it just spamming Soul Annihilation?

Do you guys have an idea on a multiclass paladin survivability? What class would you bring in for a big dps boost? I like the idea of going fire or decay themed from there, but I don't have enough game knowledge to plan it out.

Holy Slayers (especially the Trickster variant) have massive survivability and can DPS extremely well. It's my MC every time.

• Like 1

Spamming Soul Annihilation gets a bit tedious after a while, and you have so many Powers to choose from. I wouldn't invest in too many of them like your standard caster, but stuff like Mental Binding, Mind Blades, Secret Horrors, Recall Agony, and Borrowed Instinct work well on a Soulblade. I'm rather fond of going Soulblade/Trickster for the free Sparkcrackers and bonus defense/utility.

For your Paladin, I'd recommend a Bleak Walker/Monk Votary (probably Helwalker; maybe Nalpazca), which grants you fire/decay damage via Flames of Devotion along with a fire lash through Turning Wheel.

Spamming Soul Annihilation gets a bit tedious after a while, and you have so many Powers to choose from. I wouldn't invest in too many of them like your standard caster, but stuff like Mental Binding, Mind Blades, Secret Horrors, Recall Agony, and Borrowed Instinct work well on a Soulblade. I'm rather fond of going Soulblade/Trickster for the free Sparkcrackers and bonus defense/utility.

For your Paladin, I'd recommend a Bleak Walker/Monk Votary (probably Helwalker; maybe Nalpazca), which grants you fire/decay damage via Flames of Devotion along with a fire lash through Turning Wheel.

I main a melee Mindstalker (Assassin/Soul Blade), and I find that it's more about micromanagement.

Stealth In, Perishing Strike or Gouging Strike -> Soul Annihilation -> Devastating Strike (You could also just do Devastating Strike -> Soul Annihilation but I like applying enfeebled or blinded)

I'm wearing a certain pair of slippers, so I'll usually crit and go back into stealth. If they aren't dead, repeat.

If you need some CC, replace Soul Annihilation with Whispers of Treason/Puppet Master/Ring Leader.

If you need more damage- on single target replace Soul Annihilation with Disintegrate, on groups of enemies, replace with Mind Blades.

Use Smoke Veil or Potion of Invisibility to get invisible again. Rinse, Repeat.

If you need more Focus, just use rogue abilities (Perishing Strike, Devastating Strike) to generate it.

I also usually have another cipher in the party for Ancestor's Memory to regen guile. I also use the other cipher to apply afflictions/debuffs

For OP: Some variation of Monk or Paladin would fit your criteria.

Edited by Prince of Lies
  • Like 1

I main a melee Mindstalker (Assassin/Soul Blade), and I find that it's more about micromanagement.

Stealth In, Perishing Strike or Gouging Strike -> Soul Annihilation -> Devastating Strike (You could also just do Devastating Strike -> Soul Annihilation but I like applying enfeebled or blinded)

I'm wearing a certain pair of slippers, so I'll usually crit and go back into stealth. If they aren't dead, repeat.

If you need some CC, replace Soul Annihilation with Whispers of Treason/Puppet Master/Ring Leader.

If you need more damage- on single target replace Soul Annihilation with Disintegrate, on groups of enemies, replace with Mind Blades.

Use Smoke Veil or Potion of Invisibility to get invisible again. Rinse, Repeat.

If you need more Focus, just use rogue abilities (Perishing Strike, Devastating Strike) to generate it.

I also usually have another cipher in the party for Ancestor's Memory to regen guile. I also use the other cipher to apply afflictions/debuffs

For OP: Some variation of Monk or Paladin would fit your criteria.

What weapons do you prefer? I just got my Soul Blade/Trickster to level 11, and Ranning's Wrath and Rust's Poignard are working well; I'll probably go Sungrazer and Sun and Moon Flail on the second set.

Edited by Ophiuchus

After playing with the character editor for a bit this seems closest to what I want. It looks like there are a lot of synergy between the two classes, and the monk seems to add a good bit to dps.

Any input on subclasses? There's a case for Bleak Walkers/Wayfarers/Goldpact. The rest of the paladin tree seems pretty obvious - build for defense/fire/crit. No interest in the utility

I'm not as experienced in monks. It seems helwalker/wayfarer would compliment, but would my defenses be good enough I can do Bleak Walkers? Any point in looking at shattered pillars?

I am also not very familiar with the skills. Will Dance of Death + the upgrade be useful? Seems best to take Swift Flurry over lightning strikes (cause I'm fire!) and try to focus on crit.

Will Helwalker cancel out Thunderous Blows?

I have no idea what to take as a wound spender...

Like stated earlier Turning Wheel will go along great, same with hearthbeat drumming. There anything else that's great that I missed out on?

Stats would be (roughly) Per 18, Int 12, the rest split Might/Dex + the blessing points. For potd I'd focus on +fire, accuracy, and attack speed on equipment. Magrans Favor, Sun and Moon, and The fire accuracy ring seem top priority.

Would dual tank with Eder as a fighter/riposte rouge, so needs to have a little durability.

What to you guys think? What party members would compliment it?

Would love more feedback if you have it.

What weapons do you prefer? I just got my Soul Blade/Trickster to level 11, and Ranning's Wrath and Rust's Poignard are working well; I'll probably go Sungrazer and Sun and Moon Flail on the second set.

Depends on what I'm trying to achieve. For my main character, I usually rock Modwyr + Rust's Poignard (Shank upgrade) to stack attack speed.

I've also used Pukestabber + Lover's Embrace, drinking all the alcohol I could :p

If your tanking/off tanking, Squid's Grasp with the Attempted Parlay upgrade is nice. I've done that with Magran's Blessing for shield deflection (riposte) and Fire Shield. You could also pair Squid's Grasp with Sun and Moon for higher DPS/Focus generation.

Those are some nice weapons. But when spamming Rogue abilities, I like high base damage weapons, like sabers - Grave Calling for example. Gives more Focus with each attack too.

Of course some swear by Sun & Moon and Tuotilo's Palm shield combo, which allows to spam SA with every attack (but at low Focus).

Edited by Haplok

Sun & Moon hits twice per swing and has burning/cold lash. Only the first hit gets Soul Annihilation but both hits have a chance to crit. Sun & Moon also hits faster. 

Grave Calling has higher base damage and the stacking cold lash. Higher focus generation per hit. You can also kill summoned skellies for chill fog / imp cheese. 

I've used them both, and they're both fairly comparable. :p (Grave Calling gets.... cool points for looking awesome)

Most Rogue abilities are full attack, so that takes full advantage of dual wielding, while only using the attack speed and recovery of the main hand weapon. If you put the faster weapon in the main hand, while a chunkier weapon in the offhand, you'll deal more damage, quicker. 

Tuotilo's Palm is just a bashing shield that has an increased riposte rate with the Outward Spikes upgrade- not sure how that helps spam Soul Annihilation considering it's primary attack only. Is there some wonky mechanic going on here? 

• Like 1

Well Soul Annihilation is a Primary attack, so you always attack with the main hand weapon. But Tuotilo's Palm, as a bashing shield, counts for dual-wielding and improves your Recovery.

With Sun and Moon each attack hits twice, the first head delivers SA, the other generates a little Focus, so your next attack can also be an SA. One of the posters here was claiming that its actually the most effective way to deal damage as a Soulblade (and be tanky too). You attack pretty fast that way.

Personally I'm not a fan, the individual SA strikes are pretty weak and you're constantly in low/no Focus zone (so its difficult to cast without changing your gear/tactics). Also feels like you're kinda wasting Rogue's potential by not taking advantage of his active abilities. Plus I like big numbers :)

Edited by Haplok

This. Or a single Trickster.

For weapons you should think about Duskfall and Griffins Blade. That's +20% action speed right there.

Edited by Verde

Well Soul Annihilation is a Primary attack, so you always attack with the main hand weapon. But Tuotilo's Palm, as a bashing shield, counts for dual-wielding and improves your Recovery.

With Sun and Moon each attack hits twice, the first head delivers SA, the other generates a little Focus, so your next attack can also be an SA. One of the posters here was claiming that its actually the most effective way to deal damage as a Soulblade (and be tanky too). You attack pretty fast that way.

Personally I'm not a fan, the individual SA strikes are pretty weak and you're constantly in low/no Focus zone (so its difficult to cast without changing your gear/tactics). Also feels like you're kinda wasting Rogue's potential by not taking advantage of his active abilities. Plus I like big numbers :)

Yeah, Magran's Blessing would be a better choice if you were to use a shield, or just an actual off-hand weapon in terms of damage/focus generation.   

The Soul Annihilation generating focus on the second hit is true for Sun & Moon, but only at a certain point. If you manage to grab it early game, the second hit doesn't do enough damage to generate enough focus for Soul Annihilation.