[3.0.1] The Cornett's Call progression issues

BioLogIn

Question

//As a PoE1 veteran that has just started PoE2 love it so far. Thanks, Obsidian!

Encountered some quest progression problems during Old City exploration. Steps to reproduce:

- Completed All Aboard without going underground (by talking to Captain and then Captain's other passenger).

- After talking to Biha received an invitation from Dereo.

- Met Dereo and got a request for Cornett of Waves (and had no inclination to complete it).

- Continued the exploration of the Gullet, talked lift operator into letting me use the lift to the Old City.

- Found Cornett of Depths.

- Defeated the grub boss, midfight revealed the mosaic, got some weird dialogue but kinda ignored it due to ongoing fight.

- Inserted CoD into one of the hands, then took it away.

- Missed the lift back, continued the exploration.

- Looking for another way out, found another temple zone in the lower ruins, pushed some button to open the wall.

WHAM BAM lots of quest progression a female (Gwenvyn?) stands on the other side, talks about my dealings with Dereo I have no idea of, And I have no dialogue options but to tell he about the mosaic I saw in the temple upstair (not even an option to say that I found nothing yet).

Now in my quest journal the CoW part is marked as complete (see attachment).

A bit frustrated now, since my character never intended to fulfil Dereo's request and had no reasons to go and steal something for him.

post-133568-0-23079900-1539163478_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

There are two cornets (cornet of waves and depth). Any one of those two can open the door to the grub boss. Now, the ultimate goal of the quest is to find the mosaic that the woman in that area was tasked earlier by Dereo. Since you have already got the quest from Dereo about stealing the cornet, it is like you have solved the case that he didn't tell you to solve.

Go talk to Dereo and he will try to tell you about finding the mosaic and then you can tell him that you have already found the mosaic and that will complete the quest.

If you do not want to tell Dereo about the mosaic, just do not talk to him again.

Edited by bartopolis1234

Thanks, I understand that these and my options going forward. I'll solve this situation one way or another.

My intention was to let devs know that there are (still) some issues with this quest. I think we used to report PoE bugs via these forums, so I decided to post here.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for letting us know about this Bio!  I have put in a bug report with all the information you provided and sent it to the QA and Area Design teams for a fix.  If you happen to discover more about this, please continue to post it here as I will be linking this thread to the bug report to be used as a reference.

Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience with this bug, Bio.

//As a PoE1 veteran that has just started PoE2 love it so far. Thanks, Obsidian!

Encountered some quest progression problems during Old City exploration. Steps to reproduce:

- Completed All Aboard without going underground (by talking to Captain and then Captain's other passenger).

- After talking to Biha received an invitation from Dereo.

- Met Dereo and got a request for Cornett of Waves (and had no inclination to complete it).

- Continued the exploration of the Gullet, talked lift operator into letting me use the lift to the Old City.

- Found Cornett of Depths.

- Defeated the grub boss, midfight revealed the mosaic, got some weird dialogue but kinda ignored it due to ongoing fight.

- Inserted CoD into one of the hands, then took it away.

- Missed the lift back, continued the exploration.

- Looking for another way out, found another temple zone in the lower ruins, pushed some button to open the wall.

WHAM BAM lots of quest progression a female (Gwenvyn?) stands on the other side, talks about my dealings with Dereo I have no idea of, And I have no dialogue options but to tell he about the mosaic I saw in the temple upstair (not even an option to say that I found nothing yet).

Now in my quest journal the CoW part is marked as complete (see attachment).

A bit frustrated now, since my character never intended to fulfil Dereo's request and had no reasons to go and steal something for him.

I encountered similar issues the first couple play throughs. I think there are just some assumptions in the question progression about what info you'll have at what point, and since there are so many ways into the old city, it's easy for the narrative to get a little ... flexible. 

I just try to play that part pretty straight, don't go down there until asked to, and so on, just to keep the continuity.

@SChin

Sure, and thank you for your work!

I just try to play that part pretty straight, don't go down there until asked to, and so on, just to keep the continuity.

Well, I was kinda trying to also save the Botaro guy, so I went down to look for him..

Yup! That's *exactly* how it went for me the first time.

I have more information on this bug, which is not yet resolved. Several things don't add up at once if you take the scenic route to this quest.

My progression:
-Explored the old city first. 
-Found the cornet of  depths, and installed it in the wall after the boss fight
-Some time after, my reputation in the gullet is high enough to get called to Dereo, which starts the quest. 
-I don't remember the exact wording, but at this point it seemed clear to me the dialogue line only acknowledged my acquisition of the cornet of depths, not my possesion (it was already socketed into the wall), so here's probably the first miss that make everything go awry. 
-Nonetheless, dereo sends me to acquire the cornet of waves. He also gives me his flag.
-In the dialogue with it's owner, i can show off my cornet of depths even though i no longer possess it. If not before, this was a clear sign of trouble. 
-I stole the cornet of waves. 
-Dereo does not recognize this feat - there are no dialogue options related to the quest. I should've looked at the journal at this point, but forgot. 
-Installed the second cornet in the wall.
-Met this random person in the temple talking about dereo. 

Also, closely related, there's trouble with the lift in the row. If you take it up from the smugglers without Dereos´ prior approval, there's no proper handling for this. They just shoo you in the direction *you actually want to go* because they only know how to prohibit an adventurer coming from the south.  If they  tell you not to pass,  you still can. Coming from the north, there should be responses reflecting on this based on what assumptions the guards could make from you coming unexpectedly from that direction.