Pure wizard is great if you want to keep him as caster only. If you haven't tried it, definitely have fun with high level mage spells (lvl 9 missile salvo is hilarious). My personal favorite is wizard - rogue. You have incredible single target damage of rogue, buffs and magic weapons from wizard - option to go in melee or debuff/do magic damage. Absolutely lovely, but requires some knowledge of the game, I wouldn't recommend for first playtrough (though I guess respecs are cheap). I haven't tried fighter wizard.

• Like 1

Pure wizard is great if you want to keep him as caster only. If you haven't tried it, definitely have fun with high level mage spells (lvl 9 missile salvo is hilarious). My personal favorite is wizard - rogue. You have incredible single target damage of rogue, buffs and magic weapons from wizard - option to go in melee or debuff/do magic damage. Absolutely lovely, but requires some knowledge of the game, I wouldn't recommend for first playtrough (though I guess respecs are cheap). I haven't tried fighter wizard.

How would you build a Wizard/Rogue multi-class for ranged damage and debuffs? Not a rhetorical question: I've been wanting to do this, but after the rod Blast nerf, I don't know how. I guess Blunderbuss?

I don't know for sure, I never build rogues as purely ranged, it's more like - at the start of the fight I do the usual - scripted quick buffs (spirit shield, infuse vital essence, delirious alacrity etc.) chill fog, combusting wounds while tanks get most agro, magic weapon - go murder. If there are too many of them for rogue to be safely out - throw some spells etc. If they are pushovers, I don't bother with chill fog, combusting wounds. I guess the only difference I would just not use magic lance, but something like the red hand, as long as you can proc his sneak attack, you are guchi :) Oh and phantoms that get your weapon are great too.

Edited by Tadas

Kalakoth's Minor Blights + stuff like Arterial Strike is rather nice. Since it's one-handed you can either go for higher ACC or more speed (if you put a dagger or something into the offhand) . Everything with AoE is great with a rogue because his DoT effects can be applied in an AoE then. That makes the use of Guile highly efficient. Infuse helps to expand the AoE even further. Try Toxic Strike with high INT and Infuse. It builds up dmg per tick like crazy if your INT is high enough.

Also Riposte + Spirit Lance is possible. Debuff enemies with a Blinding Strike + buff your own deflection and do some nifty AoE Ripostes while poking them with some more attacks. Or stack defense against Disengagement Attacks (Alacrity, abilities, items) and run around triggering those. This is rather risky but can be great fun. Your speed is so high with Alacrity...

Also Nannasin's Cobra Strike got secretly buffed I think. The base dmg is good and it applies a pretty crazy poison with each attack. I tested it with a Spellblade and the single target dmg is pretty good now. Cobra Strike's poison, Deep Wounds and stuff like Toxic Strike and Gouging Strike all stack. Even enemies with high health drop quickly. Watch out: although it has the range of a reach weapon it is considered a ranged weapon.

But in the long run I guess a SC wizard may be the more powerful option. Not in the early/mid game though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So he can be fighter wizard or wizard rogue. Which multi is better in terms of easiness, simplicity and power gaming? Is pure wizard still better option?

In terms of easiness and simplicity definitely Battlemage wins out. IMO its okay for power gaming too, though probably the other options offer higher damage output. But for me its awesome to finally have a wizard I don't have to babysit and who does well on his own.