WTF happened to Xbox? Where are the REAL exclusives? "Console" and "timed" aka FAKE exclusives are NOT enough.

ktchong

I do not own an Xbox One or Xbox One X.  Last year, I bought a Playstation 4 to play Horizon: Zero Dawn as well as the The Uncharted series and The Last of Us.  This year, I got to play  God of War 4,  Spider-man, and (IMO) underrated Detroit: Become Human.  All those games are real exclusives on the PS4.

So, the shopping season is coming up.  I am looking at the game library of Xbox One... it literally has almost NO exclusives.  The only good "exclusives" it has are console or timed (no longer) exclusives, which I also call FAKE exclusives because they are not real exclusives.  If I can play the games on my preferred platform PC, why should  I spend money to buy a console to play them???  WHY??  I literally could NOT think of a reason to buy an Xbox One or Xbox One X.

IMO, Microsoft's BIG blunder was to lose Bioware as an exclusive developer, (i.e., Mass Effect used to be an Xbox exclusive.) Now that Playstation has the highly-acclaimed exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn, (which is a Bioware-style RPG that will become a trilogy,) Xbox really needs an exclusive RPG series that can compete with Horizon to stay in the game. Horizon is the main reason why I own a PS4 but not an Xbox One.

BTW, if you are thinking about buying a console as a gift for someone this Christmas, please do not buy an Xbox One or Xbox One X.  For that person's sake of good gaming, buy a PS4 instead because, "Xbox has no (exclusives) games" is real.

Edited by ktchong

Don't you worry. Obsidian will be Xbox exclusive soon enough.

LOL

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Don't you worry. Obsidian will be Xbox exclusive soon enough.

Unless Microsoft fixes its "Xbox has no exclusive" problem, I predict the next-generation Xbox will be the final-generation Xbox. Frankly, I think this-generation Xbox (Xbox One and Xbox One X) is already dead in the water.  PS4 has sold 85+ million units while Xbox One has sold LESS THAN HALF of that at 39 million units. No one is buying Xbox One because it does not have exclusives. (Okay, not "no one", but less than half of the number of people who bought a PS4.)

Microsoft has been on an acquisition frenzy recently, buying up five or six game studios. It is obviously the last-ditch attempt to fix the lack-of-exclusive problem. However, it will take at least five years from the time of the acquisitions to finally putting out some good exclusives. That is not fast or soon enough to save Xbox One/Xbox One X. The best Microsoft can hope for is to save the next-generation Xbox in the console's mid-life cycle.

No worries, there will be soon loads of xbox exclusives soon, because they are pushing cloud based game streaming, like OnLive failure never happened. With ongoing war against net neutrality, Soon you will have sweet option to pay for required bandwith and subscription in three months as much as you would normaly pay for new console, which stays yours forever. *cheers*

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I really wish that Microsoft would be smart enough to do 2 exclusives:

That dragon one - whatever it was called, it looked amazing like Devil May Cry mixed with Monster Hunter.

And...

Sunset Overdrive 2. The first game was amazingly well designed, everything about it was great but sadly nobody bought it so lalala whatever. Lalala it doesn't matter.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Most people cannot build a PC.

It is why we are the elite.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's pretty much the opposite of PS4 lmao

If you don't have one, you miss out on some amazing games that you'll never experience (you can't emulate the exclusives for obvious reasons). So no matter how beefy the pc you build, the PS4 will always win. The sad truth. But pc will always be my main cuz... indies!!!

Sony publishes these exclusives themselves, this is why Xbox doesn't get them. "Normal" publishers make more money by releasing on all platforms, but Sony obviously won't do that.

I own PS4 and not Xbox only because I'm a huge fan of jRPG so it makes sense for me to own a console created by a japanese company :)

• Like 2

Yeah Sony has always done amazing with Jrpg whether console or handhelds like Vita. PC is just now starting to catch up on Jrpg with titles like Dragon Quest but I doubt it will ever catch up to Sony at that end. Plus the ports are better on console usually anyway.

Edited by SonicMage117

Huh. So you're one of the mysterious people who would cheer in a crowd for a publisher announcing exclusivity which both actively hurts consumer and the title in question (except for titles developed in-house, of course)

IMO, there is really no reason for a console to exist if it does not have real or true exclusives.

Microsoft had wanted to pursue a (self-defeating and stupid) console strategy of having no real exclusives. Which is why they got rid of all their first- and second-party developers: Bungie, Bioware, 2K, Epic, FASA, Ensemble, Lionhead, one after another, one way or another. That had been Microsoft's business strategy for Xbox. Microsoft thought Xbox could survive and thrive on multiplatform, multiplayer, and "fake" exclusives (= "console" exclusives that are also on the PC and "timed" exclusives.) Microsoft wrongly thought multiplatform games and third-party developers would carry Xbox.

Looking at the sale figures and how far Xbox One has fallen behind PS4, now we know for certain that Microsoft's console strategy was severely flawed and has crippled Xbox's competitiveness against Playstation.  Playstation has won the console war and defeated Xbox for this generation - and very likely the next generation as well, (because there won't be enough time for Microsoft to quickly turn out really good "AAA" exclusives for the next Xbox between now and the launch of the next Xbox in a year or so.)  I hope Microsoft has finally realized how important exclusives are to the ecosystem and competitiveness of a console.  Maybe now Microsoft has finally waken up, and they are taking actions to correct their past mistakes. Maybe that is why Microsoft is on a frenzy to buy studios and acquire first-party developers. Which is a complete turnaround from their previous (stupid) plan for Xbox.

Of course, it is good for me as a PC gamer for Microsoft to put out their "fake" exclusives on both Xbox and Windows - which means, there is absolutely no reason for me to ever consider buying an Xbox.  Let's be honest here: unless Xbox starts putting out real/true great exclusives that are NOT available on PC, I will NEVER even consider buying an Xbox.  On the other hand, now that I have bought my very first Playstation last year, (a PS4,) and I have been very happy with my decision to buy a PS4, I will almost certainly buy a PS5.  That is how Microsoft lost a console war.

Edited by ktchong

IMO, there is really no reason for a console to exist if it does not have real or true exclusives.

a) You can play all your games on a PC, cry me a river

b) Of course there's a reason for consoles to exist, and it's the same reason why they always existed and prospered - they're easy to get working, games are easy to get running and there's very little troubleshooting required. If you're not bothered by any of these things, good, you have more stuff to play on your PC, why even break a sweat?

• Like 3

Don't want to start a war but.. there are still a few other reasons in which consoles hold an unprecedented advantage over pc.

1.) Exclusive titles - Usually better developed than anything we can find on pc (which you already mentioned).

2.) Console ports are vastly superior to pc ports, look at Arkham Knight and Nier Automata, plenty if others as well. Probably because consoles ate still much easier to develop and optimize for.

3.) The wait for larger games such as GTA5, FFXV and Red Dead Redemption 2. PC gaymers are treated with afterthought, by the time they get the games, everyone else has moved on lol

4.) The communities don't die. This has been an issue in fighting games and racing games on pc, the communities always die within a few months. Consoles don't have this issue for whatever reason.

5.) Cool physical collectors editions that pc can't compete against

6.) Proprietary 4k blu-ray players built in

7.) The best controllers that will never work on pc (joystocks, arcade sticks, etc)

https://youtu.be/UOvN3iz3eXo

8.) Plug n play/EZ play portability (Switch is the perfect example. Vita and PS4 are another. Pc has a few things but they all suck so kinda pointless to mention them)

Probably a few others I'm forgetting but... Those are are good reasons meh

I don't rate the exclusives, I don't feel like I've been missing out not owning a Playstation. Xbox has never had must have exclusives. Nintendo has always had way more exclusives and they're highly rated.

PS4 had better hardware and was cheaper. If you look at failed consoles, highly successful consoles, the hardware, the release date, and the price are the most important things. Are they easy to develop for? Exclusives are more important if they aren't because the only good games are 1st party because 3rd party developers are having a hard time for the first few years, a console needs games on launch.

PC isn't competing with consoles. Microsoft should have leveraged their IP and tech to become the biggest game publisher on PC. They shouldn't have cannibalized their PC studios for Xbox, having a strong PC gaming platform could have supported Xbox. Microsoft have the capacity to waste incredible talent and wealth by being incredibly short-sighted and greedy, they've never wanted to compete on price or quality.

I have a high end pc, a mid end pc and a PS4. I feel like I'm missing out by not having a Switch. So many amazing Japanese games with English subtitles/vocals that make it to Switch but never make it to pc. It's very sad for pc gamers indeed.

Add to that Zelderz, Bros Smashin Bros, Mario AC Odyssey edition and more. Exclusives are totally worth the money spent on a console though, usually the best games of the year.

One thing we can all agree on though is that they'll never stop making consoles as consoles help to push pc forward anyway.