The Incredible Power of Bounding Missiles

My wizard is a level 9 Evoker. (Evokers have a chance for rolling spell damage twice when they cause it.)

Minoletta's Bounding Missiles seems to have the potential to re-roll on every individual missile and every individual bounce. The result is ... extraordinary.

The damage (from an Empowered cast, mind you) continues in the combat log, but I could only fit so much in one screenshot. This seems almost abnormal. Should this really be doing so much damage? I killed three lagufaeth in one shot, with no prior damage caused.

post-172193-0-34353100-1539016285_thumb.jpg

Empower adds quite a few jumps to missile spells. It's normal that an empowered spell kills three enemies - especially at lower levels where the impact of Power Levels from Empower is much higher (relatively) than at higher levels.

An Empowered Missile Salvo will kill all enemies most of the time. ;)

I also don't think that Bounding Missiles individual projectiles or jumps trigger a whole new cast of Bounding Missile but only for that projectile.

But if not (I didn't test it myself) this surely should be addressed.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I just did some tests with Bounding Missiles and a lvl l20 Evoker: everything seems to work as intended. Also dmg wise in line with other wizard spells even with Evoker passive triggering. It seems that a recast only repeats the corresponing missile, not the whole spell. It seems that the Evoker passive gets procced after the cast (not on hit rolls) and simply casts the whole spell twice - it doesn't seem to be checked for every projectile. At least that seems to be the case after more testing with Bounding and Minor Missiles.

Edited by Boeroer

It seems that the Evoker passive gets procced after the cast (not on hit rolls) and simply casts the whole spell twice - it doesn't seem to be checked for every projectile. At least that seems to be the case after more testing with Bounding and Minor Missiles.

I'm on my third Evoker playthrough, and this is indeed the expected behavior.

The second spell casts 0.1 seconds after the first one, usually right after the first in the combat log. Since power level adds a lot of extra projectiles to missile spells, it looks like a storm of 20 missiles :D If your Missile spell has an aoe component, the combat log indeed gets insanely full. No bugs here.

Edited by Clerith

Wow, you can expand aoe hit info??

Hm... I don't understand the question. I can unfold the AoE hit rolls, sure - but I don't know if that is what you mean. :)

However: I can count the hit rolls. And if Evoker's passive does trigger it's always (in every case) twice the hit rolls. That shows that the whole spell is repeated once - and not that singular projectiles trigger it. But of course an Empowered Bounding Missile spell itself already has lots of projectiles - if the passive kicks in and doubles this it can be very impressive.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Empower's a magic awesome win button, so yeah, it can result in some crazy results especially with spells. Some empowered high level spells / scrolls have been known to wipe out entire screens, more or less.

Wow, you can expand aoe hit info??

Hm... I don't understand the question. I can unfold the AoE hit rolls, sure - but I don't know if that is what you mean. :)

It is indeed what I meant... and what I've been missing A LOT all the time I've been playing Deadfire!