Upgrading the "Uniternity Engine"/ "Pillars of Eternity Technology"

RadonGOG

InXile does call it "Pillars of Eternity Technology", I prefer the term Uniternity Engine, but despite names: Obsidian, please start patching in new features to ALL your games based on that technology and hand over the work to InXile as well.

Which would be NoBrainers and LittleEfforters at the same time?

• ResolutionScale: An easy way to give players with weak rigs the option to comfortably play the game nevertheless. And, at the same time, 
  • MSAA for all games: Pretty straightforward, isn´t it? Tyranny and PillE II have it, TTON and PillE I are lacking it. 
  • Newest Unity, DX11: Pretty straightforward, isn´t it? Except PillE II every game is lacking it. 

And which one would still be NoBrainers, but probably HighEfforters? 

• Preload everything: Give users a toggle to let the game precache as many data as possible into the systems RAM to elliminate as many loading times as possible.
  • Switch to Khronos Vulkan: Pretty straightforward, isn´t it? Switching to the most advanced API just makes sense for the long term. Thanks to MoltenVK it makes your games easier to handle on all three PC-OSes.
  • TAA: Quite hard to implement, but good image quality results. 
  • HDR- and ICC-aware: Let the games know when the OS is reporting HDR-Screen or wide colour gamut to secure that the game doesn´t look off and reduce all user-fiddling with options. 

Okay, that´s the core part of the posting regarding the engine. But now some parts on content in your games.

Please revisit your games running on UHD-screens and update every interface element that is too lowres. Striking examples would be the maps and loading screens in Tyranny and PillE I. Oh, and you should think of preparing your data to be rerendered in twice/ four times the current resolution and higher bitdephts to be able to Rerelease the games in Ultra-Fidelity for NextGenConsoles. 

I hope you can include all these ideas in your internal long- and short-time-roadmaps; looking forward to play through PillE I & II once they´ve got perfected!  :)

• Like 1

InXile does call it "Pillars of Eternity Technology", I prefer the term Uniternity Engine, but despite names: Obsidian, please start patching in new features to ALL your games based on that technology and hand over the work to InXile as well.

Or InXile can fix their own stuff for the first time ever.  :getlost:

• Like 3

As my friend like to say: "If something seems simple, that means you don't know enough about it."

PS. I don't either. But I imagine Deadfire engine got modified quite a bit, and porting PoE1 over to PoE2 engine would be quite an undertaking, and it was confirmed as a big investment both time and money wise, when Josh was asked about remastering PoE1 a while ago. 

Well, it sounds just inefficient to fix something twice? In general, TTON seemed to have a more advanced, more fixed Uniternity-Version anyways...

...at least it was more Highres-Compatible then PillE and Tyranny and loading times were better as well if I recall correct.  

Anyways, this stuff is quite OffTopic. 

Well, it sounds just inefficient to fix something twice? In general, TTON seemed to have a more advanced, more fixed Uniternity-Version anyways...

...at least it was more Highres-Compatible then PillE and Tyranny and loading times were better as well if I recall correct.  

Anyways, this stuff is quite OffTopic. 

That was a jab about bug fixing.

Uni-Turd-ity Engine sounds about right.

Nice post! I like the upgrades :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 1 month later...