Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate 3?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3060 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

People complained about Mighty Number 9. And now look at Megaman 11. :)

Mighty Number 9. had more issues than not living up to nostalgia hype though. I take it that Megaman 11 is decent. 

• InsaneCommander likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I thought it all came from bad marketing.

Keiji Inafune seemed to rub people the wromg way when he said "It's better than nothing" in response to critical feedback from the funders. I think people who pledge often get a false sense of entitlement "We funded the game so our say is ultimately what goes", people should know better but you always have those peeps that try to force devs to change their initial vision.

The other mishap was the "Sadder than a lonely anime fan on prom night" comment or something like that - stereotyping it's fanbase as lonely loser virgins who can't get a date, this provoked a media crapstorm. It basically turned the tide of the hype to hate, amazing really lol

As far aa the games, well Mega man 11 is more or less the same but a bit shinier. Capcom truly took advantage, showing that sometimes ignoring fans on forums and social media and just dumping a game can work quite well.

Edited by SonicMage117, 06 October 2018 - 04:19 PM.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As far aa the games, well Mega man 11 is more or less the same but a bit shinier. Capcom truly took advantage, showing that sometimes ignoring fans on forums and social media and just dumping a game can work quite well.

Yes, it must be a nightmare to develop a game with a large fanbase and have it crowdfunded.

As for BG3, I don't really care if they try to stick to the original formula. The more games of this genre, the best.

If only I had the time to replay the series in preparation... :banghead:

• kanisatha, Wormerine and SonicMage117 like this

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Larian and Beamdog have both confirmed they are not involved.

This is what I wrote in another forum as my personal take:

It won't be a prequel, nor will it be a direct continuation from where ToB left off. It will follow Realms canon involving events in the city of Baldur's Gate in the 5e timeline. The "Murder in Baldur's Gate" 5e PnP game module could very well even be the jump-off point for the game. "Adrian Abdel" and other canon characters from the old games (including of course Minsc) may be featured in the backstory for the game, but the game will have nothing to do with any of those characters. It will be a completely new story with completely new characters, but because it will be set in the city of Baldur's Gate WotC will claim it justifies the labeling of the game as BG3 (or perhaps "BGNext" in today's WotC-speak).

There is precisely zero chance that WotC allows a new Forgotten Realms game to be made that is not set in the current 5e timeline. ZERO. They are extremely happy with how things have turned out with 5e and where the D&D franchise is at the present time. 5e is by far the best-selling D&D edition of all-time, and the new PnP game modules WotC has been cranking out on a frantic pace in the past several years have actually generally been very well received. Why would they not capitalize on all of that newfound enthusiasm for D&D? The target audience for a new BG game would NOT be old-timer fans of the original BG games. The target audience would be the literally millions of NEW D&D fans WotC has managed to generate in recent years for whom the old BG games are a quaint anachronism.

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

The game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games.

Edited by kanisatha, 06 October 2018 - 06:59 PM.

• SonicMage117 likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
An action rpg with real-time combat and online capability? Would be interesting, I would happily take that!

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Didn't bunch of key Bioware devs leave the company? Anyone know what they are up to and if still in gaming?

To be honest I have no idea who could be doing it. I doubt it's a major AAA project. 

While a D&D project would be welcome I am not too interested in actual Baldur's Gate sequel.

It probably won't be Bioware. And if it is, it wouldn't matter, because 20 years on it isn't the same Bioware at all and basically none of the key figures are there anymore.

I'm not really sure what the point is, except marketing. It won't be the original creators, it won't be AD&D, it surely won't continue the story (unless to do so in a completely forced way), it won't be the same engine... hell, even The Black Hound back then was a BG3 in name only. They might as well just give it a new franchise, whatever it actually ends up being.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1191 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer.

While this is what I would expect, it also sounds like all my worst nightmares come true.  :banghead:

Edited by the_dog_days, 06 October 2018 - 08:32 PM.

• Mamoulian War, Chilloutman, Abel and 8 others like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer.

While this is what I would expect, it also sounds like all my worst nightmares come true. :banghead:
You gotta admit though, it'd certainly be better than Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 and Dragon Age: Origins, who had their janky systems in their attempt to venture into the era of modern 3D rpg. Now that we have the tech or/and tools (and writers to boot) to actually bring BG into the 3D space in the right way, I'm pretty excited for it. Plus, I could use a break from traditional old-school isometric (said everyone ever).

I really hope they'd do real time combat rather than the casualist rtwp or turn-base. As much as I love those systems, I'm kinda tired of the counter-fit low tier chess play and would like if we saw this old franchise get some new life. Of course, it will probably end up being rtwp anyway but maybe - or, hopefully, they'll make it to appeal to more types of gamers and it won't be 100% like to the first two games in terms of mechanics and combat. I want good story and combat but not the dull combat that the IE games are known for by all fans.

Edited by SonicMage117, 06 October 2018 - 09:11 PM.

Heathsunderer

Heathsunderer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts

I understand that, but that's just the agenda now days and no matter how much we (as fans) choose not to vote with our wallets or forum complaints, that's not going to change what makes the characters but I'd have to disagree that different lifestyles or sjw agenda cripples character quality or story capacity. There's no such thing, I mean we, as straight gamers, don't like it - I don't really but I refuse to let it spoil me from enjoying a great show, movie or game with characters based around such ideals.

I didn't really like when CW switched their focus to gay/bi characters, for example but that was just my prejudicial preference, now I've grown use to the fact that the world is changing. When I was in High School, there was one gay person in a class of over 400 students. Now, in that same high school, straight folk ARE the minority and the new mainspace for identifying one's self is "gender-fluid" ajd bisexual/gay are the majority. We can't really excommunicate this generation for that though, I mean to be honest we do, alot of us (from 50's to 90's) tend to make fun of or outcast this new generation for being different but in hindsight, they've already won. The more we protest the sjw linesight within our media, the more it's going to pushback - but again, that has nothing to do with quality, nor is it any worse from what made games from before the time sjw material was forced into medial culture.

Okay, I imagine that's an American campus you're talking about, which isn't necessarily a representative sample of mankind. I don't think there has been real pushback yet because mere chatter on the Internet and in gatherings is a far cry from what associations standing up for queers, transsexuals etc. have done over the course of a few decades. Most of the activism has been done within the bounds of law, which I would be a fool to take issue with. That said, you will see actual blowback from rival members of society when people begin crowdfunding entertainment media that's diametrically opposed to something Beamdog would come up with for example. It seems silly when you first think about it but down the road I'll wager video game developers in particular will bear in mind the message their games deliver to players with their cast of characters, setting, writing, art direction and so forth. Is this a bad thing? Certainly not. If anything, I strongly believe it will raise the bar for future games and make them a lot more enjoyable. Motion picture underwent the same shift from pure entertainment value to social commentary in its heyday and people nowadays don't seem to mind anymore so much as they choose what they want to see from a wide variety of movies.

P.S. In reality I know the motion picture industry is heavily monopolized, which has unwholesome bearing on your selection but I needed an example to work with.

P.P.S. Some of my favorite Star Wars media was made by a fan. The comments section is hilarious. ()

Edited by Heathsunderer, 07 October 2018 - 12:06 AM.

Heathsunderer

Heathsunderer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

Please, no third person camera. Isometric gives you a clear and unhindered view of the battlefield. If I'm not mistaken BG was a real-time strategy game in its early stages, which is where the isometric angle came from. 

• bigbazoopa likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
That video is awesome Heathsunderer, thanks for sharing!

In a way, the art kinda reminded me of this:

Which is a good thing as I loved that game's art!!
  • Heathsunderer likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Just look at what happened with Sword Coast Legends. WotC backed that thing as well:

A cool little team made a decent little D&D story, but for some bisarre reason, WotC had them simplify the rules and make a mess of it, CRPG-wise.

And on top of that, they made a DM mode and a toolkit that was extremely limited and lackluster.

And before that, WotC had 4th Ed Daggerdale made, an atrocity!

Our only hope is that WotC has sacked all those advisors and replaced it with true PnP D&D fans, intent on linking the pretty great 5th Ed with the legendary games of the past.

• Mamoulian War, kanisatha, InsaneCommander and 2 others like this

Heathsunderer

Heathsunderer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts

That video is awesome Heathsunderer, thanks for sharing!

In a way, the art kinda reminded me of this:

Which is a good thing as I loved that game's art!!

I'm glad you liked it. Check out his channel, I think he's working on Street Fighter right now. Also, he has uploaded a sneak peek into what he calls a 'space Vietnam mech' anime. It's a crying shame he doesn't have more patrons.

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3060 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games.

I can't say I know, or follow much the D&D tabletop stuff. You might have a point and a better insight. 

It would, however, question the decision to approach the project from that perspective, though IP owners aren't know to make rational decision (seriously, they are making a D&D movie?!). What D&D has is a solid system, and if they got for more accesible action system they loose pretty much the only reason to use D&D. Unless people care much more about D&D world than I think they would.

If it would be CDPR who would be working on it, that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities - Cyberpunk is an adaptation of TableTop as well. Though who know it will be until we hear or see anything about this potential D&D project if it were them.

What I would hope for is D&D trying to compete in Divinity: Original Sin market, rather than blockbuster market. 

• Mamoulian War likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Anyone who thinks it can't be a 'continuation' of the original BG saga are on crack and have no imagination. There are TONS of ways to do so. Not that they'd go that way, of coruse, but it is easily done.

Idelaly, it would like KM except in 5E and  'higher end' graphics (I like KMG graphics as is).

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I can't say I know, or follow much the D&D tabletop stuff. You might have a point and a better insight.

Sadly I don't actually get to play PnP D&D anymore because I don't have a gaming group, but I still very closely follow what's going on in the D&D/WotC world because I just love the Forgotten Realms and especially source books and novels from that setting. And what 5e has done for D&D is truly phenomenal. D&D has never been more popular than it is right now, thousands of people tune in to watch PnP groups playing D&D on live streams, and 5e D&D sales have been through the roof for WotC. Chris Cox, the CEO of WotC said in a December 2017 interview that they want to do big things with their D&D franchise, including making D&D games in every type and genre of video gaming including mobile, tablet, and console. And yes, there is at least one and possibly two big screen movie projects involving D&D underway.

For me, if the only way I can get a video game set in the Forgotten Realms is one that is a AAA ARPG, then so be it. And I'm pretty sure that a D&D video game that is similar to Skyrim/DAI/Witcher 3 will literally sell millions. As I said in my previous post, many of the folks on a forum such as this one are just not the target audience for WotC anymore.

Edited by kanisatha, 07 October 2018 - 06:50 AM.

• IndiraLightfoot and Wormerine like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sadly I don't actually get to play PnP D&D anymore because I don't have a gaming group, but I still very closely follow what's going on in the D&D/WotC world because I just love the Forgotten Realms and especially source books and novels from that setting. And what 5e has done for D&D is truly phenomenal. D&D has never been more popular than it is right now, thousands of people tune in to watch PnP groups playing D&D on live streams, and 5e D&D sales have been through the roof for WotC. Chris Cox, the CEO of WotC said in a December 2017 interview that they want to do big things with their D&D franchise, including making D&D games in every type and genre of video gaming including mobile, tablet, and console. And yes, there is at least one and possibly two big screen movie projects involving D&D underway.

This is where I am, as well. And I've been playing tabletop D&D since the late 70s, so my love for the game is even older than the Forgotten Realms setting. Gimme Greyhawk, Dragonlance (Krynn) or Ravenloft (demiplanes of dread), and I'll be just as happy. I'm just tired of seeing D&D CRPGs fail, so I really do hope that

Chris C o x rocks my socks off sooner rather than later!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 07 October 2018 - 07:13 AM.

• kanisatha likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7513 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

People complained about Mighty Number 9. And now look at Megaman 11. :)

Mighty Number 9. had more issues than not living up to nostalgia hype though. I take it that Megaman 11 is decent.
It's better than decent, MM11 is good. Legitimately good.

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Stop reminding me of Mega Man, I'm trying to go a month without increasing my backlog... :(

• Mamoulian War and Heijoushin like this

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@IndiraLightfoot, I feel the same way! I love FR first and foremost, but love 5e so much that I will take a 5e D&D game in any of the D&D settings, including the newest one - Ravnica from MtG which has now been made a D&D setting.

Seems like you have about a decade of D&D experience over me. :)  I started playing PnP D&D in the late '80s.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users