Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

51 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Pillars of Eternity is probably a much closer successor to the original BG's, and thankfully that franchise seems to be continuing on.  

...is it? Honest question, I had heard the game's sales were not so hot.

I get that people are upset that Larian are using the name in what is regarded as nothing but an obvious attempt to cash in on the nostalgia, but is it known that the game will have nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn or Bhaal? Not that it would be a good idea, mind...

• Sad 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

49 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I get the concern that they are using the name, but just like with Fallout, you've got to be realistic. Larian is going to make the game the way they know how. It's totally fair to say if you didn't like D:OS, you probably won't like Larian's version of Baldur's Gate 3. But again, it's been 20 years. No one else was doing it. Pillars of Eternity is probably a much closer successor to the original BG's, and thankfully that franchise seems to be continuing on. 

There is also the question of, shall we say, dignity, or integrity. In other words, if the successor of a classic has essentially nothing to do with said classic, a lot of people are going to feel that it might have been more decent not to make that successor in the first place. I'll give you an example from another context: Peter Jackson's movie trilogy for The Hobbit. I only saw the first one, but it was so poor and so out of touch with pretty much everything told in the book that I decided it would be best not to see the other two. Granted, some of the story bore some resemblance to things that happened in the book, but the spirit was completely wrong in pretty much every conceivable way (essentially, Jackson tried to turn an exciting children's story into a dark heroic epic, which just didn't work at all). The movie(s) did not tarnish the book in any way, but the decent thing would have been to not make the movies at all. It was such a colossal failure.

Now, Larian may of course try to profit from the franchise, but if the result is completely out of touch with the spirit of BG, I suppose a fairly large number of people are going to feel disappointed., simply because the original classic is so good that it doesn't deserve poor treatment or watering down or what have you.

Mind you, if it turns out that Larian's BG3 is excellent, I will be a happy camper indeed.

And yes, I know that dignity or integrity or other terms like that don't matter to some people. That's fine. They do matter to me, and I'm pretty sure they matter to an awful lot of other people as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HoonDing said:

I like the Githyanki but the other characters...

By the teachings of Zerthimon!

*Mind blown*

I thought it was an ugly elf...

Edited by melkathi
  • Haha 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

wonder why other developer doesn't do that more often

Because in other games the pre-made characters you do not choose, die in a blimp crash, after a Molochean Hand orc flies his ornithopter into it to kill the Living One. And inadvertently getting the whole prophecy rolling.

• Haha 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

the best part of dos2 are the six premade main character also are companion idea

It's really clever multiplayer design.

I wonder if they manage to find a way for it to work better when playing single player. The demo felt alright to me. 

• Like 1

Finally saw the trailer having spent the 10 seconds required duckduckgoing. Skipped some bits because 20 odd minutes but it was OK I guess. Glad it's a tentacle ship wreck this time, that changes things up from the bog standard water ship wreck significantly. Don't care about the graphics as I wouldn't be buying the game for them, don't really care about some of the gameplay oddities and departures either. It looks very much and sounds a bit like DivOS 3, but expecting anything else is unrealistic. The major problem with DivOS2 was the stupid late development tinkering with sequence and physical/ magical barriers, and hopefully being D&D that cannot happen here anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Because in other games the pre-made characters you do not choose, die in a blimp crash, after a Molochean Hand orc flies his ornithopter into it to kill the Living One. And inadvertently getting the whole prophecy rolling.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT: Is it Majesty Gold HD?

Edited by Skazz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Was going to ask the very same question! It's certainly not a particularly busy franchise (not that it ever was).

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pillars-of-eternity-dev-says-deadfire-sales-were-l/1100-6471333/

Well ain't that a kick in the coconuts.

This is why we can't have nice things, people. There is no excuse for Deadfire to not sell as well as the original.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Manveru123 said:

They have officially killed Baldur's Gate for me. This is just DOS3 that is trying to cash in on BG name. Absolutely disgusting. Fortunately I am not a slave to nostalgia so I'm glad to know in advance that I need to look elsewhere for my gaming needs :)

I wouldn't say it killed it for me, but... I wasn't expecting anything and was still disappointed. I'm sure it will be an okay RPG but it looks nothing like 1 or 2. Oh well, not much of a fan of BG these days anyways.

BG3 being D:OS2.5 is disappointing, but not surprising. I very much detest most aspects of D:OS, from obscure gameplay systems and it being essentially a turn-based Diablo (an MP-focused sandbox with color-coded randomized loot) to sluggish animations and graphic style (in general).

Well, there's that new Pathfinder game, which will be released in 2-3 years. I look forward to it, though not going to back.

16 minutes ago, Hawke64 said:

Well, there's that new Pathfinder game, which will be released in 2-3 years. I look forward to it, though not going to back.

It is, indeed, quite interesting to note that apart from the next Pathfinder game, this niche genre (isometric fantasy RPGs) essentially doesn't exist anymore. I do find it sad, because it's my favourite genre by far, but there you go.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

It is, indeed, quite interesting to note that apart from the next Pathfinder game, this niche genre (isometric fantasy RPGs) essentially doesn't exist anymore. I do find it sad, because it's my favourite genre by far, but there you go.

Oh well, I guess it didn’t sell afterall. Still, from the resurgence of RPGs it is only PoE that is most likely dead, no? Shame as it was my fav of the bunch. 

Solasta is also a thing. We will see how it will turn out. 

20 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

It is not the only one, just the closest to BG. There are also:

I haven't played 5e, but if it's like DOS I hope we get to make use of the many non-combat spells and abilities found in other pnp games in exploration. To my knowledge that's not something to have ever been implemented well in a pnp derivative videogame.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I was prepared to be disappointed with this game right from its first announcement, but this reveal really saddened me greatly that I will not get to play a game called BG3 even though that is something I've been hoping for for 20 years.

I hate TB combat, but I was willing to give this game a chance if everything else about it was awesome and only the combat was something horrible. But what I see is a game that sucks across the board: cartoony horrible D:OS graphics, very limited character creation freedom, companions that are set and having very little that we can do to shape them, a dialog system that reads and sounds utterly ridiculous, party size reduced to 4 clearly to satisfy co-op play at the expense of single player, and overall a TT simulator experience rather than a videogame experience. Disappointing in every possible way.

As a passionate fan of the original BG games and of the Forgotten Realms setting in which I desperately want to see more games, it crushes me that Larian has made a game here that effectively excludes me.

My takeaways:

1. Graphics are gorgeous, and I think this is the first game that really convinces me the isometric angle can look good without doing pre-rendered scenes.
  2. Love the verticality
  3. I like how rolling checks works.
  4. Art direction looks incredibly much like Dragon's Age Origins. Which is good and bad.
  5. TB combat looks a lot better than Divinity, looks almost like they took clues from Deadfire's TB mode. The game will have the advantage of being balanced around TB from the start.
  6. Love that huge action bar, that's properly treating someone to a nice time.

• Like 2

Turn based should be fine as long as there isn't massive amounts of pointless filler combat. It was fine in DivOS1 and the issues in DivOS2 weren't due to it being TB. Larian is also pretty good at designing unique feeling encounters via their environmental system, so even if you're fighting orcs or undead for the twentieth time it doesn't feel stale.

If you have to stop every twenty seconds to fight a rat which crawls slowly across the screen for a few rounds while you crawl slowly towards it over the same few rounds then it takes your characters half a dozen rounds to hit so that the encounter takes ten minutes then that would be a problem, but I don't think we'll see that.

3 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

If you have to stop every twenty seconds to fight a rat which crawls slowly across the screen for a few rounds while you crawl slowly towards it over the same few rounds then it takes your characters half a dozen rounds to hit so that the encounter takes ten minutes then that would be a problem, but I don't think we'll see that.

Oi!

Watch how you talk about Fallout!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

I wouldn't be surprised if  Dragon Age 4 has its sights on incorporating the idea of vertical world building, and possibly turn-based combat.

I would be surprised because they're EA owned.

Edited by the_dog_days