Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

Viconia was the best

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

26 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I think the only BG2 companion I disliked was Anomen.

Anomen was grating, sure. But I actually liked his story. He goes from being a snotty, high-strung brat to, well... a grown man in the course of a rather dark arc. Or, you could push him into failing at life and turn into a raging drunk, because why not. Mechanically he could be a great meatshield with heals, too.

Jan is by far the most entertaining vegetable peddler / high-quality illegal flasher craftsman I've ever come across in any game, no doubt.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't really like 5E D&D, so I wasn't super hopeful, but that was kind of disappointing.  When they started off with a reformed vampire spawn character and the first character they met was named Shadowheart,...

The climbing looked kind of neat, but then there was the jumping that just looked silly.  And when the main character pushed that guy off the ledge and he went flying 20 feet, I just burst out laughing.

Maybe it'll be okay, but barring some sort of rave reviews from lots of people, it looks like something I may pick up in the bargain bin some day.

Being a superfan of the BG series, I knew that there was no reason to be interested, since these reboots/revivals never go well for the superfans who like how the old games played. It's basically what I expected, though I'm a bit more horrified with the up-close shots of characters than I expected to be. Yikes. That one dude, Gale, looks like he could've actually been modeled after a BG-style portrait...and that is not a compliment in any sense.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hmm, so what I get from the screenshots is that you're on a ship at some point, hear voices and have to build a party out of the people on the ship? That's pretty much exactly how DivOS2 started.

(Highly amused that the trailer embedded in the previous page is age restricted, when I can go and watch real people getting blown up on youtube with nary a care)

The deaths of real people is nothing compared to cgi body horror and githyanki riding dragons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

55 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm a bit more horrified with the up-close shots of characters than I expected to be. Yikes.

The short guy. Halfling or Gnome or whatever. With the extremely disproportionate head. *shudder*

Obviously, they have time to improve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

The jumping looked king of strange definitely, I was so hoping Larian moved away from the super human feats ... I mean who can jump that far???  I do kind of dig being able to push someone off a ledge though ... and 100 percent for turn-based and character building in the D&D style.  I just hope we can design a full party on our own to play through the campaign, damn BG series for taking that away and replacing it with Minsc ...

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Doubt you'll get your own party. Larian seems too eager to prove they can write. And creating "iconic" npcs will be part of that.

The more nostalgic people are about Minsc and Boo and whatever the others were called, the more newer RPG developers will try to live up to that memory they too have. Be it Pillars or DOS2 or Outer Worlds or whatever (though I'll say again, it was amazingly brave to make such unmemorable, plain party members as in Outer Worlds).

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It's probably the closest thing for those of us that haven't played Divinity but have had the [mis]fortune of playing Dragon Age.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

I do kind of dig being able to push someone off a ledge though ...

Pushing the guy off the ledge was cool.  Him flying 20 feet through the air instead of falling mostly down was what really bothered me.  It was like he got punched by someone with superhuman strength, instead of just a relatively normal person (especially since it was a ranged rogue, who presumably didn't have a super high strength.)

I'm down with turn-based, and the combat itself didn't look bad.  My concerns were mostly visuals and writing.  Honestly, the first couple characters they encountered seemed like something out of a 16 year old emo kids fanfiction.

• Like 1

The superhuman jumping and shoving is quite bit annoying, and with childish sound effects on top, with a cymbal tin drum? thump upon landing. Especially funny when the char started sneaking, and then a huge jump ending with a huge din. (And these jumps do start with a huge Aaaargh!, echoing a mile away!) Even worse, every other attack and every other action ends or starts with a short snare drum or whack sound effect. Yuck! No need for this, I reckon. And that male character has some ridiculous lines, as well as crazy pale skin. A lot of the writing and the chars themselves are a bit cheesy and cringe-y, but I can put up with a fair bit of that. The characters chest heaving while breathing is too prominent, and the character faces look like they had real-peeps photos from Pinterest plastered on their heads (creepy). What I do like is that d20 when you landed a critical strike along with a Skyrim reward cut scene, or the use of the d20 graphically during the skill Persuasion check. The crypts looked really neat. And well, Volo, again, at the very end. I never...!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

7 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

The jumping looked king of strange definitely, I was so hoping Larian moved away from the super human feats ... I mean who can jump that far???  I do kind of dig being able to push someone off a ledge though ...

At some point Swen said that “jump” is enhanced by having the worm-thing in your eye. I imagine same goes for push and move objects. It seems to have some effects, like vampire guy not perishing in sunlight. 

• Like 1

*hops and skips her way through that 1.5 hour long video*

Turn based. Meh. I'll probably skip it. No I'm not saying turn-based sucks, just not my thing.

Am I the only one who's tired of watching characters largely just stand there for 2-3 minutes while speaking whole paragraphs? It was kinda fun way back when the novelty of seeing chrs. nod and frown with flapping lips was new, but now I just get impatient. Even in New Vegas I recall madly mashing the spacebar (or whatever it was) to skip the vocalizing since I could read 10x faster. If the vocal lines are short back and forths it's fine but long speeches or exposition...Edit - maybe they'll have an option to see text and skip too tho, didn't notice.

Anyway ... graphics are ok although as noted by some the close-ups of heads/faces is a bit odd at times. The "I'm peering down into a canyon much of the time" perspective makes the 3D party stuff work I guess but not my favorite type of viewpoint since it tends to emphasize any corridor effect.

Gameplay wise ... who knows. Can never really tell from an hour of demo.
I liked when the game went wonky on them at the end tho. Hahaha.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, looking at that preview, the game certainly does not seem particularly interesting anymore. A bit of a shame, that.

I'm not entirely sure whether there's meant to be a significant difference between BG3 and D:OS2, but for me, they looked essentially the same -- which is a huge downer, as I found D:OS2 almost completely uninteresting. The gameplay graphics just aren't very good.

Some of the small details were really awkward, too, like the asterisks around dialogue options; I can't see why anyone would want those, as they look so highschoolish (and of course I admit this is nitpicking of the highest degree).

The game also repeats a trope that I find very unflattering and unworking [sic]: NPC characters' lips move when they talk. It just looks so bad. Here's the thing about verisimilitude: if you want to make something appear realistic, it has to be pretty darn good. Otherwise it will just look silly and take away from the illusion of reality. Looking at those lips move in a way that has basically nothing to do with the words the characters are saying just looks so shoddy. The whole idea of showing those NPCs in such great detail and as such large figures on the screen has (in my view) not reached the level where it's worth it. It takes away from the (admittedly artificial) realism, instead of adding to it. It takes away from the immersion, in a big way.

• Like 2

What I saw in the preview was the next generation of isometric RPGs - 3D-esque worlds, cinematics, another level of reactivity, the return of turn-basad combat - I wouldn't be surprised if  Dragon Age 4 has its sights on incorporating the idea of vertical world building, and possibly turn-based combat.  Whether you like them or not I think they are here to stay, and I am happy that they keep pushing the boundaries of the technology and possibilities.  I mean who wouldn't want to be a captive in Sword Art Online ...

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

At some point Swen said that “jump” is enhanced by having the worm-thing in your eye. I imagine same goes for push and move objects. It seems to have some effects, like vampire guy not perishing in sunlight. 

Yeah I didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing, just caught the end of it live.  At least there's a reason, and I knew it would be hard to them to get away from some of the DOS2 stuff, at least they have a camping mechanic.  Now if they can just get a bathroom mechanic and proper penalty going for even more realism  ... 😆

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I'm still amused by all the "BG in name only!" reactions. I mean, yeah, this is not a game that came out 20 years ago. It isn't the same developers.

I get the concern that they are using the name, but just like with Fallout, you've got to be realistic. Larian is going to make the game the way they know how. It's totally fair to say if you didn't like D:OS, you probably won't like Larian's version of Baldur's Gate 3. But again, it's been 20 years. No one else was doing it. Pillars of Eternity is probably a much closer successor to the original BG's, and thankfully that franchise seems to be continuing on.  

Edited by Hurlshot

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Well, looking at that preview, the game certainly does not seem particularly interesting anymore. A bit of a shame, that.

I'm not entirely sure whether there's meant to be a significant difference between BG3 and D:OS2, but for me, they looked essentially the same -- which is a huge downer, as I found D:OS2 almost completely uninteresting. The gameplay graphics just aren't very good.

Some of the small details were really awkward, too, like the asterisks around dialogue options; I can't see why anyone would want those, as they look so highschoolish (and of course I admit this is nitpicking of the highest degree).

The game also repeats a trope that I find very unflattering and unworking [sic]: NPC characters' lips move when they talk. It just looks so bad. Here's the thing about verisimilitude: if you want to make something appear realistic, it has to be pretty darn good. Otherwise it will just look silly and take away from the illusion of reality. Looking at those lips move in a way that has basically nothing to do with the words the characters are saying just looks so shoddy. The whole idea of showing those NPCs in such great detail and as such large figures on the screen has (in my view) not reached the level where it's worth it. It takes away from the (admittedly artificial) realism, instead of adding to it. It takes away from the immersion, in a big way.

the best part of dos2 are the six premade main character also are companion idea

pretty clever

wonder why other developer doesn't do that more often

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

the best part of dos2 are the six premade main character also are companion idea

pretty clever

wonder why other developer doesn't do that more often

I, for one, have always wanted to play through Baldur's Gate from the unique perspective and wisdom of Quayle.