Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

Baldur's Gate in name only!

Er, I mean... this looks nothing like the previous games in the saga. Which is to be expected because those were made twenty years ago, by a completely different group of people and, more importantly, attempts to revive the genre or make spiritual successors have been met with mixed results, at best.

It's entirely possible that this game will be bad on its own merits. But complaining because it's not an upgraded IE game strikes me as unreasonable. Unlike Oblivion With Guns, no "proper" sequel to ToB has ever been in the works that was cancelled to make way for it. The series was dead before Larian took it over.

Here's hoping it won't suck, and also that Minsc will remain petrified.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

6 minutes ago, 213374U said:

...and also that Minsc will remain petrified.

If they follow "canon", he doesnt.

Sometime in the 1480s DR, the Beloved Ranger was accidentally struck by a wild magic surge caused by the wild mage Delina, as a result of an attempt to cast a spell at an attacking gargoyle. The surge dispelled the petrification effect, returning Minsc and Boo to life.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

Baldur's Gate in name only!

Er, I mean... this looks nothing like the previous games in the saga. Which is to be expected because those were made twenty years ago, by a completely different group of people and, more importantly, attempts to revive the genre or make spiritual successors have been met with mixed results, at best.

It's entirely possible that this game will be bad on its own merits. But complaining because it's not an upgraded IE game strikes me as unreasonable. Unlike Oblivion With Guns, no "proper" sequel to ToB has ever been in the works that was cancelled to make way for it. The series was dead before Larian took it over.

Here's hoping it won't suck, and also that Minsc will remain petrified.

No, the complaints are that it is called Baldur's Gate 3. Unless they continue the saga (which I would doubt, and honestly, if anybody does it's almost bound to end badly) it's capitalising on nostalgia and the reputation of those who went before instead of earning their own place (and while Larian has made some decent games they have not made it anywhere near "old Bioware" level). Had they called it "Baldur's Gate: Whatever" people would be (slightly) less annoyed (I know I would be).

While there are plenty of series that have a very loose connection between different "numbered releases" (so to speak) Baldur's Gate wasn't one of them. It was very explicitly the story of the Bhaalspawn. Hell, the titular city didn't even feature in the second game, and their only real connection was the PC...

Neverwinter Nights would have been a better pick (and given the clunkiness of both NWN1 and 2, a better fit for Larian too, at least at this point in time), since the only real connection between the two games was the location and they already played differently enough from each other (and much closer to what BG3 looks like) that it wouldn't have been as much of a stretch, either.

Alas, Neverwinter Nights doesn't exactly have the cult status the BG-series has so it's much less profitable to make a "NWN3" than a "BG3" from WotC perspective.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I categorise Bioware and Larian games a fundamentally different genres - first being singleplayer high presentation focused, mostly linear, story driven adventures, while the latter are sandbox, system driven coop games.

The only issue I have with Baldur's Gate 3, is its connection to BG1&2 while being apples and oranges situation. 

And that's my issue with what I have seen so far. It looks like D:OS2 mixed with Dragon Age. It looks and feels nothing like Baldur's Gate.

• Like 1

I wouldn't classify the Divinity games as sandbox. You get an area to quest in and can't move on until you progress the story. Now the story may be goofy and silly, but it still drives progress. I do agree that systems are a bigger focus than they were in BG, but I'm not sold on that being a bad thing. I am curious isf they can overcome my biggest issue with Larian games, which is how the systems get overwhelming as you move through the acts, and the story is rarely engaging enough to keep me playing.