Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

wtf was that xD

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

wtf was that xD

Well, it was definetly something.

Nothing positive though.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It does actually say it is 'pre alpha gameplay' at the end of the video, though I'd Presume that's only the last part, not the longer faux gopro section.

1 hour ago, Hawke64 said:

It looks like something for VR and/or co-op.

That trailer looks like a 'next gen' game in the vein of the old Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliances; 'slay together'* and the Dark Alliance name pretty strongly imply co-op as a focus. I played BGDA on PS2 and it was a fun (but utterly brainless) action game far better played as co-op than SP.

*if they want to use 'slay together' as a tagline they should have stumped up for a certain Roxy Music song license rather than using obnoxiously generic thrash metal. At least then it would be a bit more memorable.

Edited by Zoraptor

20 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

It does actually say it is 'pre alpha gameplay' at the end of the video, though I'd Presume that's only the last part, not the longer faux gopro section.

You are correct. Someone from the studio confirmed it in a subsequent interview that only the very last little bit is gameplay footage and even then pre-alpha.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:07 AM, xzar_monty said:

However, what I'm more interested in is this: why do you think it doesn't even hold a candle to the newer RPGs, and what specifically are some of these newer RPGs? I'm very interested in your answer.

Well, first and I know this won't be popular, but never was impressed with BG2 writing, but I will say that people love it and the characters, an people definitely rank it as a top RPG so no argument there.  I think there were a handful of quests I really loved about in BG2, but something about knowing what really went down in the Time of Troubles, left the ending of BG2 very flat and contrived for me.  It setup this amazing storyline that driveled into irrelevance about an angry elf, and then they tried to fix that with the expansion that didn't do a very good job.

But in terms of what RPGs it doesn't stack too - well in terms of world-building the Dragon Age series definitely wins, in terms of writing Witcher 3 or Shadowrun might be my favorite, in terms of combat POE, and again I know this won't be a popular answer but you have to give me this one just because the game is so popular - DOS2's combat is way better than anything BG - I would even add with the turn-based mod PK is better combat.  As for memorable characters, I actually think PK's characters are better than BG2's, but again I am biased and I always was really annoyed with BG2's characters and yes no one will agree so no real reason to argue about it.  In terms of quests individual quest stories I think POE does as good of job if not better.

So maybe yes there hasn't really been a game that has combined all the best elements into a single game as BG2 did when it released, but many games have come close, DOS2 for one came very close, Dragon Age 3 came very close, even POE came pretty close, and all three of those games incorporate the best of BG2 so they are if not better, they are as good and way more enjoyable to play as they incorporate so many cool new features, each in there own way.

Partly too I just love bucking BG2 because in my heart the Ultima series is still the pinnacle of computer gaming ;)

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Interesting that you like the combat in DOS2. I have tried the game but found it very hard to get into. The writing seemed frankly awful, and I didn't find anything in the combat system to recommend it, either. Everything seemed overly simplified. But obviously this is a matter of taste.

I understand the affinity for the Ultima series very well, because Ultima IV and V were huge, at the time, for me, something really special. Ultima VI was good, too, but nowhere near as engaging as the previous two. I've never even tried I-III, and I've only glimpsed VII. It's those three in the middle, and two of them in particular, that were magic for me.

But then, even Ultima pales in comparison to the subtleties of NetHack. Best computer game ever. Ask me, I know almost everything. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it's going to be turn based... And it has the same braindead writing D:OS2 had. They should have just called this Divinity: Original Sin 2.5 and let someone more competent make BG3. I guess there's still Pathfinder to look forward too, but this is really disappointing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mkreku said:

Looks like an upgraded Neverwinter Nights based on the other screenshots (especially the one with the elevation difference with the archer). This might, or might not, be bad in itself, but it definitely would be bad for a game that calls itself Baldur's Gate 3. Should've just called it NWN3, honestly, and I doubt anybody would've cared.

In other words just capitalising on the cult status of Baldur's Gate, kind of expected from WotC, but disappointing from Larian.

We'll see how it turns out, I'm betting on severely disappointing for Baldur's Gate fans, but since we're a minority nowadays it will just end up like Fallout 3 where the media and masses will just eat it up anyway.

Graphically looks okish. I didnt expected ISO anyway. I don't mind turn based either. If there is something good about Divinity its the combat. Not sure we can comment on writing now, its too soon. But I hope Larian will drop their stupid humor if you can even call it that.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Calling it BG3 has turned me off it completely. 

I'm up for another game in the Forgotten Realms, surely they could have just called it something else? DND is popular they don't have to make it a sequel toa  beloved game series from decades ago.

• Like 3

nowt

46 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

Graphically looks okish. I didnt expected ISO anyway. I don't mind turn based either. If there is something good about Divinity its the combat. Not sure we can comment on writing now, its too soon. But I hope Larian will drop their stupid humor if you can even call it that.

Well, Bioware didn't exactly put the bar high with their "miniature giant space hamster" writing. I'm sure their humour will be more than adequate.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I really don't care if it's called Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate or Haatar Baen (a place in Vaasa in Forgotten Realms, a Swedish founding royal family, and Haatar Baen in Swedish, slightly misspelled though, would translate as "Hating Bones"!), as long as it's a good D&D CRPG unlike most which have been released after my beloved NWN2 (I like the BG series crazy much too). It certainly looks great, and I prefer NWN2's UI over most of the others - yup, I'm odd that way. *Skeletal fingers crossed.*

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Looks... good. And more or less what I expected. Seems they are aiming for newer Bioware conversation view, but with Divinities “vague” dialogue system. I am curious how it will gel together - I feel that silent protagonist works better in top down setting, rather then in your face JadeEmpire/KOTOR/DragonAge set up - in isometric all you do is implied and imagination takes over, while fancy presentations makes unanimated things draw attention to themselves.

2 minutes ago, Judicator said:

Bioware created some memorable characters in BG and BG2. Can't say the same for Larian.

I categorise Bioware and Larian games a fundamentally different genres - first being singleplayer high presentation focused, mostly linear, story driven adventures, while the latter are sandbox, system driven coop games.

The only issue I have with Baldur's Gate 3, is its connection to BG1&2 while being apples and oranges situation. 

• Like 3