Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

5 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

In that case wouldn't the makers of Skyrim (Bethesda) and The Witcher 3 (CDPR) have been MUCH better fits? I don't think Larian is a particularly good fit at all, but I understand that Larian is the current "cool" studio for many of the idiots inside WotC as well as for most of the gaming news media.

Those studios wouldn't touch a faithful D&D adaptation with a 10 furlong pole. At best they'd accept doing a D&D title in name only, but they have much bigger fish to fry. WotC can only choose from the best available, just like they couldn't demand that a Spielberg or Cameron direct a D&D movie for them.

Not that I'd mind a fully 3D, first/third person solo character open world RPG based on the Forgotten Realms...

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

24 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

In that case wouldn't the makers of Skyrim (Bethesda) and The Witcher 3 (CDPR) have been MUCH better fits?

Probably yeah, but I guess neither applied to make it.

166215__front.jpg

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

In that case wouldn't the makers of Skyrim (Bethesda) and The Witcher 3 (CDPR) have been MUCH better fits? I don't think Larian is a particularly good fit at all, but I understand that Larian is the current "cool" studio for many of the idiots inside WotC as well as for most of the gaming news media.

Um, no. Their portfolio consists of 3D first / third person real-time action RPG's... Which are nothing like the original BG's. Assuming WotC would want a (more or less) proper successor to what Mike Mears keeps calling their "holy grail" of D&D video game franchises, they'd want a studio that has had success with games that are similar to the originals. And Larian has obviously had the biggest financial successes in D:OS 1 and 2, so they got it.

And like I said, I think they could do some really cool stuff gameplay-wise. They're definitely ambitious enough in that regard, but the challenge will be nailing the atmosphere,  the tone, and the writing style.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I would definitely not be interested in a Bethesda D&D game but luckily for me I doubt they'd be interested in it either. I'm also not a big Larian fan but at least their games tick a few more boxes for me than the Elder Scrolls with guns and (nu)Fallout with swords walking simulators. The problem I have with D:OS and D:OS2 is that they don't really draw me in and I never have an urge to come back to them. This was especially true with the second game as I didn't enjoy the combat mechanics and the story didn't make me want to know what happens next.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Not only tone of the writing but you could say tone of the world's they create with their design philosophy.  It often matches the lighter tone of the writing ... telekinesis a good example; the wavy line that shows you are moving something is a little cartoonish.  I could definitely go for darker tone in both writing and graphic representation.

I hope they don't get bogged down porting the mechanics that a lot of world detail gets ignored and it plays, sounds and looks just like a DOS game ... though there is always BG4 - too soon?

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I think a Witcher 3 style game using D&D would be quite awesome.

I did not care for the D:OS games one bit, so I have no basis for trusting Larian and have deep misgivings about and skepticism of Larian doing a good job with this game. I fear BG3 will play like D:OS2 (though probably not look like it since BG3 will most likely be third person). That will kill my interest in the game and, as a hardcore fan of the original BG games, leave me bitterly disappointed.

How am I supposed to get excited about a BG3 D&D game made by people who clearly hate BG and D7D. they keep going on and on how 'unfun' it is yet ignoring the fact that D&D has been around forever and has been fun for lots of people. same with D7D. I mena that is why they want to make it right? Because it is popular? But, thye hate it and want to change? Dumb.

Of course, I know my opinion does not matter to them since I'm likely to be a sucker and buy it anyways eventually.  Unless they really  crap the bed.

It is all about expectations. I expect a playable game that is a little fun but no way no how do I believe for second this will live up to the Bg series or D&D. It can't. Not when again, they hate BG and D&D.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

I fear BG3 will play like D:OS2 (though probably not look like it since BG3 will most likely be third person).

I don't think it will be 3rd person, I think it will be their 3D-ish(which is actually still 2D)/Isometric-hybrid they used for DOS, I think he mentioned in an interview they are using the same engine from DOS2.  I thought Witcher 3 was 3rd-person action-style?

If it is 3rd person I will cry.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
  • Like 1

Well everything I've been reading, especially the recent German article, points to the game being third person, or at least something that is NOT isometric. Besides, I just can't see a AAA game with a budget upwards of $50m being isometric.

Here is another though, in this interview article it again references Sven taking a pot shot at Spell Slots, makes me think they have tweaked the spell combat system for sure.  Fingers crossed they keep it per rest spells.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-baldurs-gate-3-and-bloodlines-2-are-rewriting-the-rules-of-the-tabletop-games-theyre-adapting/

I wouldn't be at all surprised if resting goes full stop for not being a 'fun' mechanic, let alone per rest spells or abilities. Larian's philosophy with DOS1/2 is pretty much entirely on per encounter stuff (and at least their encounter design tends to be good most of the time) and that is by far the easiest way to do design.

11 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Well everything I've been reading, especially the recent German article, points to the game being third person, or at least something that is NOT isometric. Besides, I just can't see a AAA game with a budget upwards of $50m being isometric.

And Xcom smirked.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

Here is another though, in this interview article it again references Sven taking a pot shot at Spell Slots, makes me think they have tweaked the spell combat system for sure.  Fingers crossed they keep it per rest spells.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-baldurs-gate-3-and-bloodlines-2-are-rewriting-the-rules-of-the-tabletop-games-theyre-adapting/

As much as I hate DnD5e, why even bother with it if they're going to do their own **** anyway?

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

22 hours ago, Azdeus said:

As much as I hate DnD5e, why even bother with it if they're going to do their own **** anyway?

Well, you could ask the same question for every DnD based game or any other tabletop adaptation. There are always gonna be some things you have to adapt.

166215__front.jpg

There is making small adaptations and there is ditching the concepts. BG1 & 2 managed fine with Vancian magic, Larian ditching that is not adapting it's doing your own ****.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Does 5e still use Vancian magic? I was under the impression that that system went the way of the dodo with 4e.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

4 hours ago, 213374U said:

Does 5e still use Vancian magic? I was under the impression that that system went the way of the dodo with 4e.

Partially. There's number of spells/day, which you can use on any you prepared. Classes differ on how they know and prepare their spells.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, kanisatha said:

Bethesda seem to only exist now for milking all their old products to cover overheads for eternity. Not sure they actually have any developers left there.

• Like 1

nowt

17 hours ago, daven said:

Bethesda seem to only exist now for milking all their old products to cover overheads for eternity. Not sure they actually have any developers left there.

I was only referencing these developers because for some people it seems that D:OS2 having sold well makes Larian an awesome studio. So by that logic I was asking if the same applied to Bethesda given Skyrim sales numbers. I'm personally not a fan of either Skyrim or Bethesda (though I do like CDPR).