Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

If it's turn based and I can hit those squidheads with barrels of poison I'm down for this. Hopefully we'll do more in the city of Baldur's Gate than stop by before the endgame.

19 hours ago, Sarex said:

What do you have against boobplate?

He's a booty man.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The Ranger Class Is Getting Some Changes In D&D (And Baldur's Gate 3)

if already linked, then am apologizing for repetition. too lazy to check.

actual listened to podcast. 

needs to be a new word to describe these guys who interview game developers and publishers, 'cause journalist carries with it undeserved preconceptions. from the podcast we learned more 'bout the interviewer's crpg preferences and opinions than we did 'bout bg3 development. call somebody a journalist is unfair 'cause it carries with it expectations o' minimum competence and professionalism. given what is diminished standards for game journalism in 2019, is perhaps unfair to burden these folks with the baggage Gromnir brings. need a new word which ain't inherent condescending, but am kinda at a loss.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And then there is this too, the return of some of my least favorite characters ... I know everyone disagrees ... generation gap sorry ;)

https://www.pcgamer.com/larian-teases-a-return-of-minsc-and-boo-in-baldurs-gate-3/

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
added link
  • Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I am not big fan of those as well but I dont hold any grudges either

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Yeah, wouldn't want to play a D&D game in the style of DOS ... would rather just have a third DOS game ...

I do like the camera in the DOS games, and the more 3D environment (though it is still 2D).  Always after I play DOS and than play a Unity game, the static backgrounds feel very plain.  They did a good job of updating isometric gameplay into a more modern day 2D environment.  Ideally it would play like a traditional D&D game (and TB can be good for this), only bringing it into there isometric environment.

Otherwise again they might as well make DOS3 ... that being said I doubt it will be totally free from some DOS mechanics which I think will create a lot of unhappy D&D fans, but potentially happy Larian fans??  It's gonna be really tough for them either way lol.

43 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Im less than enthused that Larian is making this game. I don't think I played more than 1-2 hours of Original Sin...I just didn't like the combat. Ive heard OS2 went even further off the rails wrt combat so I doubt their style will suddenly appeal to me.

good news, bad news. while we weren't a fan o' dos2 combat neither, and as such a larian bg3 is not a slam dunk for us, the interviewer in our link were a larian fan.  the thing is, the larian guy kinda pushed back on the notion o' bg3 incorporating dos2 gameplay. made clear that, first and foremost, bg3 were gonna be a d&d game. whatever liberties the developers is taking with the rulez, they is making efforts to replicate a tabletop d&d experience... to some unspecific degree. 

the thing is, d&d 5e might not be gifted's cup o' tea neither, so...

regardless, interviewer did a poor job o' revealing much 'bout bg3 save for accident. when larian guy were correcting preconceptions and expectations o' the journalist, then we learned a bit. 

HA! good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm listening to the interview, and it is funny they mention their multi-player and origin stories feeding the narrative and giving it amazing features, I actually found this part of the DOS2 games to be the most buggy, haven't played the enhanced edition so not sure if they fixed it (sounds like they did from other forum posts).  But this, along with multiplayer Sven says they have improved and will implement in BG3.  Maybe I am not understanding totally, because my playthrough of DOS2 was a mish-mash of narratives and resolved in weird ways because of the bugs.

My other takeaway from the interview, is how much will BG3 implement environmental interactions that DOS2 is heavy with implementing?  My guess they will definitely pull form DOS2 for some of this stuff.

2 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

And then there is this too, the return of some of my least favorite characters ... I know everyone disagrees ... generation gap sorry ;)

https://www.pcgamer.com/larian-teases-a-return-of-minsc-and-boo-in-baldurs-gate-3/

Curious about this as I thought 5E was hundreds of years later. How are Minsc and (especially) Boo still alive?

I'm not complaining if they show up because Minsc almost always had a spot in my BG2 parties. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

I leave Minsc in the initial dungeon to get squished by rocks minerals every time I play BG2. Bioware can do 'comedy' companions pretty well at times (eg Mordin Solus) but Minsc is the NPC equivalent of fingernails down a chalkboard.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Curious about this as I thought 5E was hundreds of years later. How are Minsc and (especially) Boo still alive?

I'm not complaining if they show up because Minsc almost always had a spot in my BG2 parties. 

turns out boo really were a miniature giant space hamster, and following the events o' bg2, minsc were transported, along with his furry companion, to spelljammer setting wildspace, where time behaves less predictable.

*shrug*

is a fantasy setting with interloper gods, and ubiquitous magic. am not thinking a century or two is much o' an obstacle if the developers wanna bring back a bg2 character who should be dead. heck, can bring him back as dead or undead or reincarnated or perhaps as a talking sword...

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

well some his lines were very memorable, so I liked that his part. I want back my domina Viconia if they going  to bring back more characters...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Immortal vampire turned into a mind flayer maybe who now not only tortures your body but also your mind, a whole new level of subservience and domination?  ? Is that even possible???

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

8 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Im less than enthused that Larian is making this game. I don't think I played more than 1-2 hours of Original Sin...I just didn't like the combat. Ive heard OS2 went even further off the rails wrt combat so I doubt their style will suddenly appeal to me.

Same here. I broadly disliked the D:OS games for multiple reasons, but especially for the combat system.

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

turns out boo really were a miniature giant space hamster, and following the events o' bg2, minsc were transported, along with his furry companion, to spelljammer setting wildspace, where time behaves less predictable.

*shrug*

is a fantasy setting with interloper gods, and ubiquitous magic. am not thinking a century or two is much o' an obstacle if the developers wanna bring back a bg2 character who should be dead. heck, can bring him back as dead or undead or reincarnated or perhaps as a talking sword...

HA! Good Fun!

My understanding was that in the Murder in Baldur's Gate pnp module (I think) it was revealed that Minsc and Boo had been turned to stone long ago and someone had mistaken them for a statue and, heroes that they are, placed them in a town square somewhere. Then along came some adventurers in the current timeline who decided to cast 'stone to flesh' on the statue and voila!

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

Original Sin combat is tedious in single player but a blast in (lone wolf) multiplayer. On the other hand Baldur's Gate combat to me today would be a tedious chore in both single and multiplayer. With that in mind, I'll take my chances with Larian.

It wasn't always thus, but tastes evolve, and a faithful mechanical sequel to Baldur's Gate 2, a game I loved back in the day (hell, it's the reason I'm registered on these forums and its predecessors) would be unplayable for me today.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

On 6/20/2019 at 7:38 PM, kanisatha said:

My understanding was that in the Murder in Baldur's Gate pnp module (I think) it was revealed that Minsc and Boo had been turned to stone long ago and someone had mistaken them for a statue and, heroes that they are, placed them in a town square somewhere. Then along came some adventurers in the current timeline who decided to cast 'stone to flesh' on the statue and voila!

that sounds reminiscent o' what happened to characters multiple times in bg and bg2.  unfortunately...

Around 1409 DR, the merchant Orburt Lewel ordered the construction of a nine-foot (2.7-meter) tall statue in the Wide in honor of Minsc, who had saved Lewel's life. The statue, known as the Beloved Ranger, depicted Minsc cupping Boo in his hands. It was a popular landmark and meeting point in the busy commercial district.[10][11][12]

In 1479 DR, a group of teenagers vandalized the Beloved Ranger statue, breaking off its hands and Boo. The vandals were later apprehended and the statue was fixed.[11]

Sometime in the 1480s DR, Minsc mysteriously returned. The Beloved Ranger was accidentally struck by a wild magic surge caused by the wild mage Delina, as a result of an attempt to cast a spell at an attacking gargoyle. The surge breathed life into the statue and caused it to transform into Minsc and Boo. The pair joined up with the thieves Krydle and Shandie to battle the Cult of the Dragon. Coran, now a member of the Parliament of Peers, was the only person who recognized Minsc as anyone but someone who was dressed like the statue.[1]

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Minsc

don't ask us why we bothered to check. stone-to-flesh were perhaps too familiar and too plausible for the forgotten realms? dunno. regardless, a wild magic surge turned a mundane statue o minsc and boo into living minsc and boo... 'cause. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Gromnir said:

that sounds reminiscent o' what happened to characters multiple times in bg and bg2.  unfortunately...

Around 1409 DR, the merchant Orburt Lewel ordered the construction of a nine-foot (2.7-meter) tall statue in the Wide in honor of Minsc, who had saved Lewel's life. The statue, known as the Beloved Ranger, depicted Minsc cupping Boo in his hands. It was a popular landmark and meeting point in the busy commercial district.[10][11][12]

In 1479 DR, a group of teenagers vandalized the Beloved Ranger statue, breaking off its hands and Boo. The vandals were later apprehended and the statue was fixed.[11]

Sometime in the 1480s DR, Minsc mysteriously returned. The Beloved Ranger was accidentally struck by a wild magic surge caused by the wild mage Delina, as a result of an attempt to cast a spell at an attacking gargoyle. The surge breathed life into the statue and caused it to transform into Minsc and Boo. The pair joined up with the thieves Krydle and Shandie to battle the Cult of the Dragon. Coran, now a member of the Parliament of Peers, was the only person who recognized Minsc as anyone but someone who was dressed like the statue.[1]

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Minsc

don't ask us why we bothered to check. stone-to-flesh were perhaps too familiar and too plausible for the forgotten realms? dunno. regardless, a wild magic surge turned a mundane statue o minsc and boo into living minsc and boo... 'cause. 

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks for checking! I vaguely remembered it had something to do with a statue coming back to life.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, bringingyouthefuture said:

My other takeaway from the interview, is how much will BG3 implement environmental interactions that DOS2 is heavy with implementing?  My guess they will definitely pull form DOS2 for some of this stuff.

After thinking about this for a bit, my understanding is that Larian was probably chosen to develop BG3 over Beamdog and Obsidian because they have experience developing games with heavy outside-the-box environmental interaction (compared to most other devs having virtually no such experience). When they talk about wanting to make a DnD-style experience, I think what they really mean is that a typical DnD session more or less involves coming up with ways to really bull**** your way through situations using the environment in really creative ways.

So, the answer to your question is 'very', and it will probably be one of the big defining features of BG3. I don't expect OS2's obvious field effects, but more esoteric concepts like telekinesis manipulation and using paintings as makeshift walls.

3 hours ago, Saito Hikari said:

After thinking about this for a bit, my understanding is that Larian was probably chosen to develop BG3 over Beamdog and Obsidian because they have experience developing games with heavy outside-the-box environmental interaction (compared to most other devs having virtually no such experience). When they talk about wanting to make a DnD-style experience, I think what they really mean is that a typical DnD session more or less involves coming up with ways to really bull**** your way through situations using the environment in really creative ways.

I think it's pretty clear from the interviews that Larian was chosen because D:OS and D:OS2 were both big critical and (especially) financial successes. I don't believe for a second that Beamdog or inXile were ever going to get this franchise, and Obsidian, sadly, has a more "uneven" track record compared to Larian, even though I think they're a better fit.

For me this is very much wait-and-see. The Divinity games never appealed to me, mostly due to the overly tongue-in-cheek setting and writing, and it will be interesting to see how they handle the Forgotten Realms and whether they'll be able to match the BG series'  writing style. They clearly have the technical competence to do sth cool with D&D gameplay-wise, and I expect them to nail the visuals, but IMO atmosphere / "feeling" and story are what made the BG games the classics they are.

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

2 hours ago, Lorfean said:

I think it's pretty clear from the interviews that Larian was chosen because D:OS and D:OS2 were both big critical and (especially) financial successes.

In that case wouldn't the makers of Skyrim (Bethesda) and The Witcher 3 (CDPR) have been MUCH better fits? I don't think Larian is a particularly good fit at all, but I understand that Larian is the current "cool" studio for many of the idiots inside WotC as well as for most of the gaming news media.