Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

one other larian worthy title from us, then done

baldur's gate 3: boo's revenge: boomageddon

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Baldur's Gate: 3 Gates of Baldur, no waiting; no Bhaalspawn either, but we got Illithids at each Baldur's Gates and boy if Baldur was around, he'd be unhappy about Illithids being all up in his Gates.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

Baldur's Gate: 3 Gates of Baldur, no waiting; no Bhaalspawn either, but we got Illithids at each Baldur's Gates and boy if Baldur was around, he'd be unhappy about Illithids being all up in his Gates.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

I wonder if they will implement a short vs long rest rule ... not to take away from the spirit of the thread so maybe

Baldur's Gate 3: Original Balder's Gate

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

12 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

I wonder if they will implement a short vs long rest rule ... not to take away from the spirit of the thread so maybe

Baldur's Gate 3: Original Balder's Gate

From one of Swen Vincke's recent interviews it sounds like spell slots/memorization is/could be completely out because it's a mechanic that's not "fun."

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

16 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Which was more popular way back when, Balder's Gate or Bhaldur's Gate?

Balders Gate, actually, followed closely by Baulders Gate.

However, the one people had the most fun with was Thrown of Ball. Seriously. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I started wondering how they'll do itemization.

Past D&D games (and most CRPG) have been really heavy into lots of and lots of gear, but 5th ED uses a bit of a different rule. For any magic item that's even a bit powerful or complex, you have to "attune" to it, and any character can only attune to 3 items at a time. Works well in PnP, so you don't have to do math to figure out what stacks and what doesn't and all that stuff, but can be quite limiting for a CRPG.

• Like 1

Re: Itemization and D&D 5e, sounds like they would definitely Change things here in particular. Games these days do their earnest to reward the player every five minutes or so, to hold his interest and Keep him into that loop. This naturally also ties in with the evolution of other entertainment. I personally think it's a shame, as if everything is special -- nothing is -- this goes for Obsidian's recent games also, btw. My personal tastes are admittedly hit the hardest by this, as I actually really like how the original Baldur's Gate went about this. I know that I was in a minority even way back then.

Still, by modern standards Baldur's Gate 1 is almost an AD&D Survival Horror. Daddy's left you out in the wild -- you're weak, you're About to be eaten by a grue  boar -- and half that fairly average stuff you find can even break. 

Edited by Sven_

Was that a typo ... whoops, thank god someone noticed it ....😘

10 hours ago, kanisatha said:

From one of Swen Vincke's recent interviews it sounds like spell slots/memorization is/could be completely out because it's a mechanic that's not "fun."

That won't go over well .... without a rest mechanic its gonna be well, Bladur's Gate ...

Fingers crossed and no expectations might be the best lol.

• Sad 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

5th ED is already less spell slotty than previous editions; all casters have a number of spells/day/spell level, and can use those to cast any of the spells they've prepared. The difference between caster types is in how they know their spells, and how many they can prepare.

IIRC.

15 hours ago, Sven_ said:

Re: Itemization and D&D 5e, sounds like they would definitely Change things here in particular. Games these days do their earnest to reward the player every five minutes or so, to hold his interest and Keep him into that loop. This naturally also ties in with the evolution of other entertainment. I personally think it's a shame, as if everything is special -- nothing is -- this goes for Obsidian's recent games also, btw. My personal tastes are admittedly hit the hardest by this, as I actually really like how the original Baldur's Gate went about this. I know that I was in a minority even way back then.

Still, by modern standards Baldur's Gate 1 is almost an AD&D Survival Horror. Daddy's left you out in the wild -- you're weak, you're About to be eaten by a grue  boar -- and half that fairly average stuff you find can even break. 

I agree. One of my fondest recollections from playing BG the first time was how incredible it felt when I FINALLY got my first +1 sword.

I suppose this all also fits in with Vincke saying that leveling up is too slow in D&D and again, "not fun" in a video game. So, both XPs and awesome items thrown at you like candy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I agree. One of my fondest recollections from playing BG the first time was how incredible it felt when I FINALLY got my first +1 sword.

I suppose this all also fits in with Vincke saying that leveling up is too slow in D&D and again, "not fun" in a video game. So, both XPs and awesome items thrown at you like candy.

I kinda agree with leveling being too slow, or rather, that D&D has this sweet spot of about levels 3-8 where the game is at it's best, and earlier levels are just random.

For itemization, I liked the amount of items BG1 one had, but I wish they'd more interesting rather than just +1 or +2.

21 hours ago, Sven_ said:

Artifacts with stories of the people who wielded them before were essential to world-building in BG (and Baldur's Shield was essential for that dungeon with beholders in BG2). They were making the game more immersive. Dropping a randomized magic hammer +3 to STR every level or so would not be "fun" by any standard, so there's no reason to implement it. Right?

I hope there are Romance options, there should be as it was part of BG2 and added  immersive and realistic dialogue options and also lets you  build more meaningful relationships with your party members...like the beautiful Viconia :wub:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I.. I actually agree, BDSM sessions with Viconia where the best

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I hope there are Romance options, there should be as it was part of BG2 and added  immersive and realistic dialogue options and also lets you  build more meaningful relationships with your party members...like the beautiful Viconia :wub:

I'd love it if optional romances were woven into the main plot like the Atton & Kriea storyline for Kotor 2. Done well romance story threads can be amazing, because stories. If they're just going to do something shallow though I'd rather they put the time and resources into something else.

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, kanisatha said:

As do I. This is why I hold BG1 in higher regard than BG2. I really liked the scarcity of magical items, and also the whole deal of everything being threatening from the get-go (at least before you realized that you could cheese your way through via ranged weapons, etc.) Swen's statement certainly has me worried.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Maybe this time the romanceable character will be infected by the mindflayers.

• Haha 1

sign.jpg

11 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Maybe this time the romanceable character will be infected by the mindflayers.

🤣 Im unsure from an aesthetics perspective if that will work for me ...can you imagine courting a mindflayer

Part of the Romance arc is where you literally RP the dating experience like most other things in a RPG so the person has to have some level of physical connection

Actually that would be an  effective way  for me to lose interest in Romance, you can only create Romance options around party members like mindflayers 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela