Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

22 minutes ago, marelooke said:

So how does it compare to AD&D in BG2 (which I thought to be nice and simple) or what we got in NWN1/2 (where I found character creation to be an overcomplicated mess)

There's more details than in BG2, but less than in NWN. Most classes gain more abilities than in BG2 (the PnP game is geared toward one character per player, afterall), but I'd say it's a lot less fiddly than 3E (NWN), since you don't have to plan Feats before hand, or spread points around skills and stuff like that.

I'm only familiar with the core books though, so I don't know how much stuff there is in all the other published stuff, or how likely they're going to put that in BG3.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Sigh...I hate 5E almost as much as 2E.  It's too simplified and boring.  I really wish there had been a good 4E game.

Still, with any luck, it will be turn-based, so that would be nice.

Same here. If it's possible to choose between RTwP and TB, I'll choose TB every time. I really only started enjoying combat in IE games after fiddling with the auto-pause configuration and finding a good party scripts pack. But even then, I'd have to manually pause the game fairly often. Generally flow is just better in TB, I've found.

hated the way they handled initiative in D:OS2, though. In fact, I think I hated just about everything about combat in D:OS2, except for the fact that the majority of encounters were distinct with their own flavor and there were very few generic "trash pulls" thrown in just to pad dungeons.

obligatory

1o878e.jpg

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I have a lot of dislike in DivOS2's combat- though I did like 1's a fair bit. And yeah, the encounter design itself was generally good and occasionally excellent, when it didn't also rely on cheap gotcha triggers like starting enemies with excess AP.

I ended up enjoying DivOS2 combat mostly by treating it like a puzzle game instead of actual RPG combat. Find the solution, and it's trivial; up until that point it's impossible. Very glad they can't use the same system for BG3, the dual armour and initiative systems were plain bad ideas fixing something that could have been worked around successfully, and worse than the initial problem. Then again, one of the most common 'solutions' to combat in DOS2 was spamming summons, a solution that has a very strong pedigree in the Baldur's Gate games as well.

• Like 2

Wizards is also releasing an adventure in Baldurs Gate this year. Heavy Bhaal iconography, but same ”far in the future, nothing to do with the original” deal going on. Probably based on that schmuck Abdel Adrian being canon, too.

I’ll keep an eye on this but assume it’s an attempt to cash in on my nostalgia.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm wondering why they went with number 3 instead of just naming it Baldurs Gate. It propably will not continue any arcs from original series so why not reboot it anew with new storyline. I also hope the game will be more Baldurs Gate centered. The original series spent very little overall time in the city it's named after and only in first game. 

166215__front.jpg

4 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Wizards is also releasing an adventure in Baldurs Gate this year. Heavy Bhaal iconography, but same ”far in the future, nothing to do with the original” deal going on. Probably based on that schmuck Abdel Adrian being canon, too.

I’ll keep an eye on this but assume it’s an attempt to cash in on my nostalgia.

Isn't that the module Larian mention in the article as their BG3 being a direct continuation of?

Edited by marelooke

I know I am biased.

But seeing reactions on the net to the trailer, am I the only one that sees it simply as Larian's humour, taking the established were-sheep inside joke from the original D:OS Kickstarter (and I was a were-sheep backer) and using that to tease mind flayers with a were-illithid?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

8 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I know I am biased.

But seeing reactions on the net to the trailer, am I the only one that sees it simply as Larian's humour, taking the established were-sheep inside joke from the original D:OS Kickstarter (and I was a were-sheep backer) and using that to tease mind flayers with a were-illithid?

I don’t. CGI trailer looks like a pretty expensive “joke”. Also apparently it is an inlore thing (albeit accelerated).

Ceremorphosis.

The physical transformation takes about a week, apparently. Of course by the time the metamorphosis starts, the tadpole has completely consumed the hosts brain, and the body is just a shell controlled by it.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Ugh, please no Abduh

If memory serves, Abduh died a pretty gruesome death to make way for the return of the father...

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think it's wonderful that BG3 is set in King's Landing. Can even hear Drogon's rattling breath in the background.

And to see Ned Stark again. The transformation into Bhaalspawn mindflayer wasn't quite GoT CGI-level though..

More like 1992 Braindead. 

I'm excited.

J.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, marelooke said:

Isn't that the module Larian mention in the article as their BG3 being a direct continuation of?

Do you mean ”Murder at Baldur’s Gate”? That was the turd of an introductory adventure where they canonized Abdel, who then went out like a punk on the first page. I have 15 feet of d&d books on my bookshelves, that one was the last one added to the list.

This: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/baldursgate_descent is the new, yet-unreleased one.

• Thanks 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It think Larian could make a good D&D game and it will be turn-based, what always made D&D games fun was the rule set so they can't mess that one up - I mean Pathfinder with all its tragic beauty is good example that no matter what D&D rules are pretty fun to play.  I agree why name it Baldur's Gate 3 though unless there is some tie into Bhaal and the time of troubles?  Maybe this will mark another extraordinary shakeup of the Forgotten Realms universe?

After reading the interview with Sven and his remarks about having choices that throw out entire sub-quests, and DOS2 emphasis on playing different types of characters it makes me think you might get to play as a Illithiad if you choose to have a worm infest you ... maybe D&D in general is introducing them as a player character - anyway something interesting is going down in the Realms lol :)

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

2 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Do you mean ”Murder at Baldur’s Gate”? That was the turd of an introductory adventure where they canonized Abdel, who then went out like a punk on the first page. I have 15 feet of d&d books on my bookshelves, that one was the last one added to the list.

This: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/baldursgate_descent is the new, yet-unreleased one.

No, I meant the unreleased one (due out October) Swen referred to in the interview and which is the reason he won't say more about the story at this point.

1 hour ago, Michael_Galt said:

Oh hell yes. Cyberpunk 2077, Wasteland 3, BG3, and The Outer Worlds?? Maybe the next couple years aren't looking so bad after all...

You missed one, fledgling.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, marelooke said:

No, I meant the unreleased one (due out October) Swen referred to in the interview and which is the reason he won't say more about the story at this point.

You missed one, fledgling.

I tried to search, do you mean Hellrift but Fledgling Studios?

I wonder if Swen might be pursuing some new type of combat system for this game, something that is a cross between RTwP and TB. Something like that I might very grudgingly be willing to accept. But if it is a typical TB system, especially something like the utterly crappy combat system of the D:OS games, I'll be - very angrily and very bitterly - passing on this game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I wonder if Swen might be pursuing some new type of combat system for this game, something that is a cross between RTwP and TB. Something like that I might very grudgingly be willing to accept. But if it is a typical TB system, especially something like the utterly crappy combat system of the D:OS games, I'll be - very angrily and very bitterly - passing on this game.

The video gives me hope the he is open to serving older fans, I don't particularly need that old interpretation of 2e. I much preferred what Pillars 1 did. I also think Larian will want to attract some of it's own fans as well. I'm hesitant at this stage, but my interest is still piqued. I believe the talent is there if only it's directed well.

I just hope it will be a single-player focused game with RTwP combat and without randomized color-coded loot or Larian's writing style.
I didn't finish either D:OS, but completed and liked both BG games and their expansions (including SoD). They are focused on completely different aspects of RP and I don't see how a game developed by Larian can be anyhow close to what BG is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1