Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

Numenera had terrible combat and terrible character development (as in, builds). If I wanted to read a book, I would go read a book, not struggle with the worst gameplay I've ever seen in a cRPG game.

Newsflash: The purpose of playing Crpg's are for story, gameplay/combat was always horrid from realtime with pause systems. You were afterthe wrong thing.

You do know that Tides of Numenera's combat system is turn based, right?

Don't confuse the issue with facts. :p

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You do know that Tides of Numenera's combat system is turn based, right?

I was generalizing the genre of Crpg, in which is more rtwp suited. Look at how horrible the D&D systems were in BG1&2 and IWD1&2. I don't think I have to mention NWN1&2 as well.

Don't confuse the issue with facts. :p

Or rather that I simply forgot to include something and a member called me out for it hehe

I mean I never did say that Numenera was rtwp but yes, I should have made my response more broad as to specificially quote turn-based combat in Crpg is usually not very well designed either, kinda like playing against an autistic chess a.i.

But as we were saying... BG had some of the worst combat in rpg history. That's no issue, just my experience talking teehee

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

That's just a lie. Unless you were a heavy metagamer with prior knowledge, there were many fights in BG2 that required you to strategize a lot to win. For a player new to the game, encounters with bosses like Firkraag or the Dock District Lich were epic. Combat was one of the strong points of this game.

EDIT: unless somehow you were playing six Fighters.

Edited by Manveru123
  • Like 3

As a new player, I found those more frustrating than epic. Being immune to weapons below +4 doesn't make for much strategy. And being immune to the lower level breach further narrows your options.

The more strategic fights I found to be more usual dungeon bosses. And those were pretty awesome. Establishing a line with your fighters, unleashing magic from the back. Making sure your cleric was mobile to respond to issues.

• Like 4
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Or you can level up and mow over everything without hesitancy. Cheesing your way through a Crpg is not uncommon and you're unlikely ever to get "stuck" due to difficulty which requires careful tea-per-tata strategy, nuch like a boss you will encounter in Final Fantasy.

Temple Of Elemental Thevil is another example of bad combat (Did anyone here play it?) In which combat felt a tad forced. At least Divinity Original Sin actually tried by introducing pipe-wind and environmental effects to strategize against opponents and opportunities. For ex: Using lightning in a storm to attract to metal armor plates during battle or starting a forest fire to infiltrate and burn enemy camp.

I think many fault of why IE games combat were bad was because of the rulesets not intersecting properly, it were always a challenge to translate from board to screen and we saw that evidently.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

My potions are running low

*reload towns save*

*buys 50 potions*

Can't do that with something like Dragons Dogma though - as it only allows auto-save or one manual save limit to begin with :(

Well, with the news of inXile being bought by MS I can now believe inXile indeed may be the studio working on BG3.

But what kind of game would that be?

Oh, i absolutely agree this is not necessarily good news, just that it is now possible, maybe even likely. I'm pretty harsh in my criticism of inXile's handling of their T:ToN and BT4 projects (as a backer of both those projects), not so much the games themselves as their attude towards customers and post-release customer and game support.

• 2 weeks later...

My initial reaction to this was 'fk no, bg belongs in the past, stop poking the corpse'.

i want to be able to revisit simpler times that are beloved memories. i didnt buy the enhanced editions or siege of dragonspear for that reason. idgaf that i have to play with a letterbox. Adds to the experience.

That said.

Lets say they take the name of the series literally: 'baldur's gate'. Instead of anything to do with bhaalspawn, they make an unrelated 5e game with the city Baldur's Gate as a central hub.

Ideally no references to old game that would fk with peeps teenage headcanons - well, *my* teenage headcanon at least lol.

I think i would actually be up for that.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

So it appears that no more news has come out about BG3.

You would have thought that some journalist would have found some more information by now.

All we had was on tweet from that avellon guy and thats it? Has anyone else heard anymore about it being in production?

I am personaly going to right it off as being a rumor

So it appears that no more news has come out about BG3.

You would have thought that some journalist would have found some more information by now.

All we had was on tweet from that avellon guy and thats it? Has anyone else heard anymore about it being in production?

I am personaly going to right it off as being a rumor

He was probabaly drunk again.

I guess Brian Fargo was drunk as well, seeing as how Avellone was replying to him and all. Like, is alcohol abuse a common problem among former Interplay employees?

tweet1.png

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Perhaps Ubisoft has got hold of the rights to BG3, at least considering this huge CRPG headhunting trophy of theirs:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-05-dragon-age-boss-mike-laidlaw-joins-assassins-creed-odyssey-studio-ubisoft-quebec

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***