Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

Well they could have it be a direct continuation of Throne of Bhaal, here's one way:

• After you assumed the mantle of godhood, another god comes along and takes your soul and you die. This new god also threatens the remaining godsThis would be in the opening credits.
  • Next you are in the realm of the dead and you get offered a chance to regain your soul by helping the remaining  gods
  • You then start character creation based upon your memories of your past life.
  • You start the game at level one and proceed to regain your soul and godhood while chasing the bad god across the world.
Woops sorry this is the plot for DeadFire :)

Please don’t say this.

I am not sure I would enjoy BG3, I much more prefer lower level campaigns that godlike levels, If you BG would continue we would be fighting like other gods or what?

I would be really surprised if they continued the story from a 20 year old game. There is an entire new generation of players now and they will want to appeal to them.

I'm not even sure where they could go with the Bhaalspawn at this point that wouldn't be a narrative railroad ignoring most/all the ends of the game.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If they are to continue the Bhaalspawn story, I would assume it would be a new protagonist. There were 2nd generation Bhaalspawn in the original trilogy, so that would be a route to go down. With potentially unspecified parentage.

Of course, the whole saga wasn't shy about having a canon, player choice be damned, so I couldn't hold it against any followups if they did the same.

Given the comics, they could bring Minsc back (or what might be an animated statue of him). And include Coran's son and Delina.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I guess I should be excited for this... but I'm not. At all. 

No matter how good that game will be, nothing is going to surpass BG 1/2 and my teenage nostalgia bias. 

I don't mind the "indirect sequel" route - that is pretty much a must, beacuse the ending of BG 2 was pretty damn conclusive. You can play an unrelated protagonist that has some vague connection to Bhaal - that is alive and kicking at the moment (I hope - it's 5e after all). Maybe an accidental murderer that Bhaal took vested interest in and decided to "convince" the protagonist to be his more-or-less-willing Chosen? Throw in some political intrigue in Baldur's Gate - maybe a coup or martial struggle, a nostalgia tour to Candlekeep and Beregost, some charismatic, evil overlord, romances, and the stage for the sequel is set. All the elements are in place. I would even do without Minsc or Imoen.

I am mostly concerned about the writing of BG3 though - maybe prematurely. but still....

Who is going to be in charge of the project - Beamdog? Their Siege of Dragonspear didn't actually wow me with regards to their writing chops - quite the opposite, actually. I am usually trying not to critize the writers themselves at personam - beacuse that's an **** thing to do, but I am really glad that Amber Scott with her ideas left the company.

And lastly - let's not beat around the bush - I am not happy how 5e is turning out at the moment. 5E Forgotten Realms lore is a hot, nonsensical mess. Especially after Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, with it's not-really-retconned, inconsiderate lore. I don't even know whether Vhaeraun, Lolth and Corellon from MToF are the same Corellon. Lolth and Vhaearaun I know from established Forgotten Realms lore, or 5e Sword Coast Adventure Guide  - beacuse outside of the name they have nothing in common. 

And they will use 5e for BG3 - it's a given.

It seems that Ed Greenwood - say what you will about the guy, but he deeply cares about "his" Forgotten Realms, had some nice ideas where to go with Toril after the 100 year timeskip somewhere in 2015; with gods withdrawing themselves from mortal affairs via Ao's edict.which made things confusing for a lot of people... like drow for instance, Eilistraee teaming up with Vhaeraun to take out Lolth, Bhaal back from the dead and bringing fear and misery to Baldur's Gate via his Chosen - but nothing came out of that. And now Faerun is in this strange "pick 'n' choose" limbo, where everything but nothing happens, canon at this point doesn't exist and we don't even know what sort of deities are active on Toril at the moment.

So, unless they bring back Papa Greenwood, give him full narrative control over the project and let him tell the story he wants to tell - I'm not interested in BG3. It the slightest.

So, I'm ranting again - but that's my two cents.

Edited by aksrasjel

Okay, I'm just reading that Ed Greenwood helped write a campaign where

the Bhaalspawn of the Saga and Viekang (the teleporting Bhaalspawn) fought and the winner turned into a monster. Then Bhaal was reborn.

So, I guess player defined endings of BG2 have already been replaced.

• Like 1

Any word if it will be turned base or rtwp?

Also if cdpr are doing it it will probably have an enormous budget so that is promising

I'm really hoping not. There were so many issues with combat in the BG 1&2.

Also, I really hope it's not related at all to BG 1+2. A smart thing for them to do would be to have an all new storyline and characaters, a smart plan for a BG4, see? Some references and easter eggs to BG 1+2 for older players like myself to get would be fine but it's time to make the game welcoming for the new gen of gamers as well. They deserve it for all the pointless crap we give them just because our IE games were so casual.

No matter how good that game will be, nothing is going to surpass BG 1/2 and my teenage nostalgia bias.

And there it is...

This is the stem of everything wrong with the IE games fanbase/community.

It's this type of mentality that kills the industry and the credibility to creative process for modern games. It's why I'm glad that games like The Witcher 3 are being hailed as the better rpg, and people are excited about Cyberpunk 2077 - to destroy the stagnant nostalgic stunborness that is too cowardly to admit d

Sonething new is better and give credit where it's due.

You're the type of person who won't admit to the faults of BG 1+2 and the fact of the horrible mechanics and the writing that felt like it was written by a kid that didn't finish high school. So take off the nostalgic blinders for a second and lend an ear, heed my words! I know it's harder to enjoy games because as we get older, less things surprise us, we lose our imagination, we're less gullible too but it's time to change the oil daddy-o and use that ole noggin.

Our eyes and ears are old, we don't have the eye hand coordination we use to, I get it but BG1&2 the best? Don't make me laugh. This silly talk will probably get you a few likes by members in the forum though :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

At this point I hope they'll leave well enough alone. Another DnD game, that borrows Baldurs Gates renown for publicity? Sure. I'd buy and try that. But it seems so unlikely that a continuation would do anything good. As much as I loved the adventures I had with Minsc and Boo when I was a kid, I'd much rather play a new one now. 

• Like 1

I'm the kind of guy that plays most types of games, old and new, indie and AAA, platformers and CRPGs, FPS and 4X, you name it.

Still, for the love of Selûne, please make BG3:

-As tabletop party-based PnP as possible, this most likely means it will have to be isometric

-Make ridiculously good use of the Forgotten Realms and all of its planes and intricacies, historical stuff and new lore

-Emphasize character development and story, branch and interweave like the Norns. Not just fetch quests, but many gripping and intertwined storylines throughout

-Give us the full complexity of the D&D system chosen, including die rolls, DC checks, and its entertaining randomness. In this case I'd take turnbased before RTwP, but please no RT ARPG. We have other games for that already. If this point and the one before it are done well, we'll get replayability in spades

-Let us explore fleshed out maps, outdoors and indoors, complex settings and dungeons, plenty of secrets and a few throwback easter eggs. Discovery should be central

-No unnecessary handholding and quest exclamation marks hovering above NPCs (That works well in other games). Let us fail in several ways, although not frustratingly so, more of the kind "Aha, I'll get this solved next time!"

-Make it at least big enough, but it doesn't have to be so-called open world. I'd prefer well-written chapters with heaps of choices and paths

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

And there it is...

This is the stem of everything wrong with the IE games fanbase/community.

It's this type of mentality that kills the industry and the credibility to creative process for modern games. It's why I'm glad that games like The Witcher 3 are being hailed as the better rpg, and people are excited about Cyberpunk 2077 - to destroy the stagnant nostalgic stunborness that is too cowardly to admit d

Sonething new is better and give credit where it's due.

You're the type of person who won't admit to the faults of BG 1+2 and the fact of the horrible mechanics and the writing that felt like it was written by a kid that didn't finish high school. So take off the nostalgic blinders for a second and lend an ear, heed my words! I know it's harder to enjoy games because as we get older, less things surprise us, we lose our imagination, we're less gullible too but it's time to change the oil daddy-o and use that ole noggin.

Our eyes and ears are old, we don't have the eye hand coordination we use to, I get it but BG1&2 the best? Don't make me laugh. This silly talk will probably get you a few likes by members in the forum though :p

Oh, trust me - BG2 and *especially BG1* had a LOT of problems, you don't have to tell me that. But that's the thing about nostalgia - you are biased in favour. PS:T had much better story, IWD may have had a better encounter design. But BG series for me is like a worn childhood teddy-bear. It's beat-up, ugly and there are other out there - but this is the one I am fond of.

I am not religiously attached to any of the game mechanics, or a given type of play. BG 3 can be turn based, RTWP, third-person or isometric, with full motion capture, full or partial VO or anything in between and I won't care. 

I would actually kill to play the X-COM: Enemy Unknown-style 5e turn-based BG3 with some nice QoL attachements. I don't think 5e would work particularly well with RTWP. You can throw in Dragon Age type third-person camera if it won't make the gameplay too cluttered. 

What I would care about is whether the "feel" of the story fits the BG series. Meaning the adventurous atmosphere, funny, charming characters and quirky, lighthearted story - that's all I ask.. I simply want to have fun in Faerun again. And romance elven/drow maidens - and I won't budge on that particular part. 

And if it somehow turns out that BG 3 actually has a romancable Eilistraee priestess as a companion - disregard everything I said about not being interested.

And I do realise that capturing the elusive, fun "feel" of BG games is much harder than just making an isometric game on D&D licence and calling it BG3.

...By the way I absolutely adored Witcher 3. I legitimately did feel like a teenager playing BG 2 again, incidentally. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's the "adventurous" feel that this game nailed.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 3

Larian and Beamdog have both confirmed they are not involved.

This is what I wrote in another forum as my personal take:

It won't be a prequel, nor will it be a direct continuation from where ToB left off. It will follow Realms canon involving events in the city of Baldur's Gate in the 5e timeline. The "Murder in Baldur's Gate" 5e PnP game module could very well even be the jump-off point for the game. "Adrian Abdel" and other canon characters from the old games (including of course Minsc) may be featured in the backstory for the game, but the game will have nothing to do with any of those characters. It will be a completely new story with completely new characters, but because it will be set in the city of Baldur's Gate WotC will claim it justifies the labeling of the game as BG3 (or perhaps "BGNext" in today's WotC-speak).

There is precisely zero chance that WotC allows a new Forgotten Realms game to be made that is not set in the current 5e timeline. ZERO. They are extremely happy with how things have turned out with 5e and where the D&D franchise is at the present time. 5e is by far the best-selling D&D edition of all-time, and the new PnP game modules WotC has been cranking out on a frantic pace in the past several years have actually generally been very well received. Why would they not capitalize on all of that newfound enthusiasm for D&D? The target audience for a new BG game would NOT be old-timer fans of the original BG games. The target audience would be the literally millions of NEW D&D fans WotC has managed to generate in recent years for whom the old BG games are a quaint anachronism.

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

The game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games.

It is easy to confirm that if there is a BG3 it wont follow anything from Throne of Bhaal? Why?

Because they have a canon ToB ending.Adrian turns down godhood and later dies in a fight with the last Bhaalspawn, who also dies. Everyone else also dies iirc, and if I'm wrong then they're dead anyway courtesy of the 160+ years that pass to get to 5e.

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

The game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games.

I can't say I know, or follow much the D&D tabletop stuff. You might have a point and a better insight.
Sadly I don't actually get to play PnP D&D anymore because I don't have a gaming group, but I still very closely follow what's going on in the D&D/WotC world because I just love the Forgotten Realms and especially source books and novels from that setting. And what 5e has done for D&D is truly phenomenal. D&D has never been more popular than it is right now, thousands of people tune in to watch PnP groups playing D&D on live streams, and 5e D&D sales have been through the roof for WotC. Chris Cox, the CEO of WotC said in a December 2017 interview that they want to do big things with their D&D franchise, including making D&D games in every type and genre of video gaming including mobile, tablet, and console. And yes, there is at least one and possibly two big screen movie projects involving D&D underway.

This is where I am, as well. And I've been playing tabletop D&D since the late 70s, so my love for the game is even older than the Forgotten Realms setting. Gimme Greyhawk, Dragonlance (Krynn) or Ravenloft (demiplanes of dread), and I'll be just as happy. I'm just tired of seeing D&D CRPGs fail, so I really do hope that

Chris C o x rocks my socks off sooner rather than later!

Dragonlance is a terrible world where the world is constantly ruined by the scheming of NotTiamat while NotGandalf tries to be from the Discworld while influencing the heroes.

The same can go for the Forgotten Realms where everything that goes wrong is almost always due to Mystra dying. Tablets of Fate get stolen by the dread three? Mystra dies, Cyric ****s over everyone, the Gods get kind of screwed, and the mortals suffer.

Cyric and Shar manage to kill Mystra? Oh look, the spellplague happened and it ****ed over the world, but don't work Drizzt is still alive and being a Marty Sue!

Oh, 5e happened? Well everyone that died is back! Including all of Drizzt's friends, that died in prior stories! True resurrection my dudes!

The Forgotten Realms preference for making every single book and game canon has bloated the setting. And just for emphasis:

Everyone from BG1 and 2 is dead! There is a canon ending and it isn't the one you want!

Edited by Vitalis
  • Like 1

Everyone else also dies iirc, and if I'm wrong then they're dead anyway courtesy of the 160+ years that pass to get to 5e.

Minsc and Coran are still alive. Coran is a noble in Baldur's Gate now. Minsc and boo got petrified and later revived accidentally by a Wild Mage that Minsc mistakes for Neera. They go on an adventure with Coran's son and some others.

Any of the other Dwarves or Elves could still be alive, too. Like Viconia, Kagain, Kivan, Aerie. Aerie especially since she was very young, the others I'm less clear on their ages.

• Like 1

Everyone else also dies iirc, and if I'm wrong then they're dead anyway courtesy of the 160+ years that pass to get to 5e.

Minsc and Coran are still alive. Coran is a noble in Baldur's Gate now. Minsc and boo got petrified and later revived accidentally by a Wild Mage that Minsc mistakes for Neera. They go on an adventure with Coran's son and some others.

Any of the other Dwarves or Elves could still be alive, too. Like Viconia, Kagain, Kivan, Aerie. Aerie especially since she was very young, the others I'm less clear on their ages.

In what book did Minsc reappear in?

Also Jaheira was eaten by a griffen.

As a huge fan of BG1&2, a BG3 is something that I'd love to see. But I fear that instead of giving something that actually plays like BG, they'd turn it into an open world ARPG.

Sure, the PS2 Dark Alliance games were loads of fun to play, but they weren't BG. If you don't want to make a BG game, then you shouldn't call it Baldur's Gate. Make the Forgotten Realms game you want, but call it something else.

Legends of Baldur's Gate, followed by Shadows of the Vampire (they get transported to Ravenloft), Frost Giant's Fury (Icewind Dale), and Evil at Baldur's Gate.

The last issue of Evil was released in August. I've read all of it up until Evil issue #1. Good fun!

And geeze about Jaheira. Why do they have to kill everyone? Why can't they just leave it happy, or at least vague enough we can believe they're on a farm upstate. My parents were at least that decent.

• Like 2

Were Baldur's Gate books actually canon? I do recall, that due to fan demand WotC quietly retconned them out of the "official" canon. They were just *that* bad. Case in point - Minsc in "Legends" is not a ginger.

I am also reminded of a talk somewhere - probably by Perkins - that Abdel Adrian in "Murder in Baldur's Gate" was a Bhaalspawn, but not *the* Bhaalspawn, AKA CHARNAME. Nobody knows who Gorion's Ward was. And Adrian gets murdered as a final "screw you" to the books. Although, don't quote me on any of that. And WotC seems to change their minds nowadays at least once per month.

Legends of Baldur's Gate, followed by Shadows of the Vampire (they get transported to Ravenloft), Frost Giant's Fury (Icewind Dale), and Evil at Baldur's Gate.

The last issue of Evil was released in August. I've read all of it up until Evil issue #1. Good fun!

And geeze about Jaheira. Why do they have to kill everyone? Why can't they just leave it happy, or at least vague enough we can believe they're on a farm upstate. My parents were at least that decent.

So I just skimmed through the canon version of Baldurs gate, Viconia, Aerie, Kagain, and Kivan did not make an appearance; and if they did it was minor.

Were Baldur's Gate books actually canon? I do recall, that due to fan demand WotC quietly retconned them out of the "official" canon. They were just *that* bad. Case in point - Minsc in "Legends" is not a ginger.

I am also reminded of a talk somewhere - probably by Perkins - that Abdel Adrian in "Murder in Baldur's Gate" was a Bhaalspawn, but not *the* Bhaalspawn, AKA CHARNAME. Nobody knows who Gorion's Ward was. And Adrian gets murdered as a final "screw you" to the books. Although, don't quote me on any of that. And WotC seems to change their minds nowadays at least once per month.

Due to WotC having all novels being canon yes.

Edited by Vitalis

The novels can't be that canon. Like I said, Minsc knows Neera from the Enhanced Edition. And a comic published first in 2014 is going to be more canon than a novel published in 1999.

At a minimum lots of stuff happened not shown in the novel. Including character appearances.

The wiki of the Baldur's Gate novel doesn't even mention Coran. But it is canon that Coran traveled with the Bhaalspawn for a while, alongside Minsc.

"You're the type of person who won't admit to the faults of BG 1+2 and the fact of the horrible mechanics and the writing that felt like it was written by a kid that didn't finish high school. So take off the nostalgic blinders for a second and lend an ear, heed my words! I know it's harder to enjoy games because as we get older, less things surprise us, we lose our imagination, we're less gullible too but it's time to change the oil daddy-o and use that ole noggin."

FAKE NEWS

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oh, trust me - BG2 and *especially BG1* had a LOT of problems, you don't have to tell me that. But that's the thing about nostalgia - you are biased in favour. PS:T had much better story, IWD may have had a better encounter design. But BG series for me is like a worn childhood teddy-bear. It's beat-up, ugly and there are other out there - but this is the one I am fond of.

I am not religiously attached to any of the game mechanics, or a given type of play. BG 3 can be turn based, RTWP, third-person or isometric, with full motion capture, full or partial VO or anything in between and I won't care. 

I would actually kill to play the X-COM: Enemy Unknown-style 5e turn-based BG3 with some nice QoL attachements. I don't think 5e would work particularly well with RTWP. You can throw in Dragon Age type third-person camera if it won't make the gameplay too cluttered. 

What I would care about is whether the "feel" of the story fits the BG series. Meaning the adventurous atmosphere, funny, charming characters and quirky, lighthearted story - that's all I ask.. I simply want to have fun in Faerun again. And romance elven/drow maidens - and I won't budge on that particular part. 

And if it somehow turns out that BG 3 actually has a romancable Eilistraee priestess as a companion - disregard everything I said about not being interested.

And I do realise that capturing the elusive, fun "feel" of BG games is much harder than just making an isometric game on D&D licence and calling it BG3.

...By the way I absolutely adored Witcher 3. I legitimately did feel like a teenager playing BG 2 again, incidentally. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's the "adventurous" feel that this game nailed.

I can relate to your wearing nostalgia goggles and not wanting a potential new installment to tarnish the spell that has laid hold of you since beating the original saga but think of it this way: it's not all about you and me, there are other gamers right now with a fledgling interest in CRPG's and I believe they deserve a chance to capture the same feeling of awe and inspiration that we did when we first began playing BG. I really don't understand why there is such unwillingness to greenlight a third game. Look how many sequels Final Fantasy has cranked out. Some are better and others are worse yet scarcely anyone is calling for an end to the series. Personally I've always wanted a Disney of sorts (the Disney of old, mind you) in the video game industry that makes wholesome and relatively family-friendly games with a lot of depth, which is also why I'm not a big fan of Greenwood's and his Forgotten Realms 'canon'. Anyway, BG is the closest thing to have scratched that itch for me and I'm sure many others will agree. I think of Siege of Dragonspear as an utter failure and yet my fondness for the original series has not waned. Just give it a shot and hope for the best. If it fails, big deal! 

• Like 1

Yes, as we get older, sadly we get senile and brain activity starts to slow. We are no longer schoolastic sponges, so one might claim that the jealousy of youth is a valid way to live. Embrace the pain, my dear V.

(Cyberpunk 2077 reference there in case you didn't catch it).

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...