Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer.

While this is what I would expect, it also sounds like all my worst nightmares come true.  :banghead:

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 11

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer.

While this is what I would expect, it also sounds like all my worst nightmares come true. :banghead:
You gotta admit though, it'd certainly be better than Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 and Dragon Age: Origins, who had their janky systems in their attempt to venture into the era of modern 3D rpg. Now that we have the tech or/and tools (and writers to boot) to actually bring BG into the 3D space in the right way, I'm pretty excited for it. Plus, I could use a break from traditional old-school isometric (said everyone ever).

I really hope they'd do real time combat rather than the casualist rtwp or turn-base. As much as I love those systems, I'm kinda tired of the counter-fit low tier chess play and would like if we saw this old franchise get some new life. Of course, it will probably end up being rtwp anyway but maybe - or, hopefully, they'll make it to appeal to more types of gamers and it won't be 100% like to the first two games in terms of mechanics and combat. I want good story and combat but not the dull combat that the IE games are known for by all fans.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I understand that, but that's just the agenda now days and no matter how much we (as fans) choose not to vote with our wallets or forum complaints, that's not going to change what makes the characters but I'd have to disagree that different lifestyles or sjw agenda cripples character quality or story capacity. There's no such thing, I mean we, as straight gamers, don't like it - I don't really but I refuse to let it spoil me from enjoying a great show, movie or game with characters based around such ideals.

I didn't really like when CW switched their focus to gay/bi characters, for example but that was just my prejudicial preference, now I've grown use to the fact that the world is changing. When I was in High School, there was one gay person in a class of over 400 students. Now, in that same high school, straight folk ARE the minority and the new mainspace for identifying one's self is "gender-fluid" ajd bisexual/gay are the majority. We can't really excommunicate this generation for that though, I mean to be honest we do, alot of us (from 50's to 90's) tend to make fun of or outcast this new generation for being different but in hindsight, they've already won. The more we protest the sjw linesight within our media, the more it's going to pushback - but again, that has nothing to do with quality, nor is it any worse from what made games from before the time sjw material was forced into medial culture.

Okay, I imagine that's an American campus you're talking about, which isn't necessarily a representative sample of mankind. I don't think there has been real pushback yet because mere chatter on the Internet and in gatherings is a far cry from what associations standing up for queers, transsexuals etc. have done over the course of a few decades. Most of the activism has been done within the bounds of law, which I would be a fool to take issue with. That said, you will see actual blowback from rival members of society when people begin crowdfunding entertainment media that's diametrically opposed to something Beamdog would come up with for example. It seems silly when you first think about it but down the road I'll wager video game developers in particular will bear in mind the message their games deliver to players with their cast of characters, setting, writing, art direction and so forth. Is this a bad thing? Certainly not. If anything, I strongly believe it will raise the bar for future games and make them a lot more enjoyable. Motion picture underwent the same shift from pure entertainment value to social commentary in its heyday and people nowadays don't seem to mind anymore so much as they choose what they want to see from a wide variety of movies.

P.S. In reality I know the motion picture industry is heavily monopolized, which has unwholesome bearing on your selection but I needed an example to work with.

P.P.S. Some of my favorite Star Wars media was made by a fan. The comments section is hilarious. (

) Edited by Heathsunderer

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

Please, no third person camera. Isometric gives you a clear and unhindered view of the battlefield. If I'm not mistaken BG was a real-time strategy game in its early stages, which is where the isometric angle came from. 

• Like 1

That video is awesome Heathsunderer, thanks for sharing!

In a way, the art kinda reminded me of this:

Which is a good thing as I loved that game's art!!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Just look at what happened with Sword Coast Legends. WotC backed that thing as well:

A cool little team made a decent little D&D story, but for some bisarre reason, WotC had them simplify the rules and make a mess of it, CRPG-wise.

And on top of that, they made a DM mode and a toolkit that was extremely limited and lackluster.

And before that, WotC had 4th Ed Daggerdale made, an atrocity!

Our only hope is that WotC has sacked all those advisors and replaced it with true PnP D&D fans, intent on linking the pretty great 5th Ed with the legendary games of the past.

• Like 5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

That video is awesome Heathsunderer, thanks for sharing!

In a way, the art kinda reminded me of this:

Which is a good thing as I loved that game's art!!

I'm glad you liked it. Check out his channel, I think he's working on Street Fighter right now. Also, he has uploaded a sneak peek into what he calls a 'space Vietnam mech' anime. It's a crying shame he doesn't have more patrons.

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

The game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games.

I can't say I know, or follow much the D&D tabletop stuff. You might have a point and a better insight. 

It would, however, question the decision to approach the project from that perspective, though IP owners aren't know to make rational decision (seriously, they are making a D&D movie?!). What D&D has is a solid system, and if they got for more accesible action system they loose pretty much the only reason to use D&D. Unless people care much more about D&D world than I think they would.

If it would be CDPR who would be working on it, that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities - Cyberpunk is an adaptation of TableTop as well. Though who know it will be until we hear or see anything about this potential D&D project if it were them.

What I would hope for is D&D trying to compete in Divinity: Original Sin market, rather than blockbuster market. 

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks it can't be a 'continuation' of the original BG saga are on crack and have no imagination. There are TONS of ways to do so. Not that they'd go that way, of coruse, but it is easily done.

Idelaly, it would like KM except in 5E and  'higher end' graphics (I like KMG graphics as is).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games.

I can't say I know, or follow much the D&D tabletop stuff. You might have a point and a better insight.

Sadly I don't actually get to play PnP D&D anymore because I don't have a gaming group, but I still very closely follow what's going on in the D&D/WotC world because I just love the Forgotten Realms and especially source books and novels from that setting. And what 5e has done for D&D is truly phenomenal. D&D has never been more popular than it is right now, thousands of people tune in to watch PnP groups playing D&D on live streams, and 5e D&D sales have been through the roof for WotC. Chris Cox, the CEO of WotC said in a December 2017 interview that they want to do big things with their D&D franchise, including making D&D games in every type and genre of video gaming including mobile, tablet, and console. And yes, there is at least one and possibly two big screen movie projects involving D&D underway.

For me, if the only way I can get a video game set in the Forgotten Realms is one that is a AAA ARPG, then so be it. And I'm pretty sure that a D&D video game that is similar to Skyrim/DAI/Witcher 3 will literally sell millions. As I said in my previous post, many of the folks on a forum such as this one are just not the target audience for WotC anymore.

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 2

Sadly I don't actually get to play PnP D&D anymore because I don't have a gaming group, but I still very closely follow what's going on in the D&D/WotC world because I just love the Forgotten Realms and especially source books and novels from that setting. And what 5e has done for D&D is truly phenomenal. D&D has never been more popular than it is right now, thousands of people tune in to watch PnP groups playing D&D on live streams, and 5e D&D sales have been through the roof for WotC. Chris Cox, the CEO of WotC said in a December 2017 interview that they want to do big things with their D&D franchise, including making D&D games in every type and genre of video gaming including mobile, tablet, and console. And yes, there is at least one and possibly two big screen movie projects involving D&D underway.

This is where I am, as well. And I've been playing tabletop D&D since the late 70s, so my love for the game is even older than the Forgotten Realms setting. Gimme Greyhawk, Dragonlance (Krynn) or Ravenloft (demiplanes of dread), and I'll be just as happy. I'm just tired of seeing D&D CRPGs fail, so I really do hope that

Chris C o x rocks my socks off sooner rather than later!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

People complained about Mighty Number 9. And now look at Megaman 11. :)

Mighty Number 9. had more issues than not living up to nostalgia hype though. I take it that Megaman 11 is decent.
It's better than decent, MM11 is good. Legitimately good.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

@IndiraLightfoot, I feel the same way! I love FR first and foremost, but love 5e so much that I will take a 5e D&D game in any of the D&D settings, including the newest one - Ravnica from MtG which has now been made a D&D setting.

Seems like you have about a decade of D&D experience over me. :)  I started playing PnP D&D in the late '80s.

• Like 1

@kanisatha: The late 1980s were still great times for tabletop D&D. I still have those 2nd Ed AD&D Monster Compendium ring binders that came out then, those with loose leaf pages where you could add your own homebrew monsters to them, using the empty pages.

• Like 2

I am not sure I would enjoy BG3, I much more prefer lower level campaigns that godlike levels, If you BG would continue we would be fighting like other gods or what?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Baldur's (God)gate of War :D

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I am not sure I would enjoy BG3, I much more prefer lower level campaigns that godlike levels, If you BG would continue we would be fighting like other gods or what?

I would be really surprised if they continued the story from a 20 year old game. There is an entire new generation of players now and they will want to appeal to them.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Just look at what happened with Sword Coast Legends. WotC backed that thing as well:

A cool little team made a decent little D&D story, but for some bisarre reason, WotC had them simplify the rules and make a mess of it, CRPG-wise.

And on top of that, they made a DM mode and a toolkit that was extremely limited and lackluster.

And before that, WotC had 4th Ed Daggerdale made, an atrocity!

Our only hope is that WotC has sacked all those advisors and replaced it with true PnP D&D fans, intent on linking the pretty great 5th Ed with the legendary games of the past.

Yeah this.

After the abominations of sword coast legends and neverwinter one would expect bg3 to not be up to bg2 standard

To be honest the more I think about it wizards of the coast just aren’t that good at publishing video games anymore.

I guess we can hope WotC/Hasbro decides to not armchair quarterback their pick for a developer for BG3 (assuming its real, I took the reported tweet as a joke when I first read it).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah this.

After the abominations of sword coast legends and neverwinter one would expect bg3 to not be up to bg2 standard

To be honest the more I think about it wizards of the coast just aren’t that good at publishing video games anymore.

Well, some people don't consider the EE BG enough, so imagine if they update graphics, UI, etc...

sign.jpg

Well they could have it be a direct continuation of Throne of Bhaal, here's one way:

1. After you assumed the mantle of godhood, another god comes along and takes your soul and you die. This new god also threatens the remaining godsThis would be in the opening credits.
  2. Next you are in the realm of the dead and you get offered a chance to regain your soul by helping the remaining  gods
  3. You then start character creation based upon your memories of your past life.
  4. You start the game at level one and proceed to regain your soul and godhood while chasing the bad god across the world.

Woops sorry this is the plot for DeadFire :)

I'd say one thing in SCL was above average, though: Inon Zur's music. I just listened to a few of the tunes the other day, and he pretty much nailed it with City of Sails, for instance.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1