Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

Surprised nobody's yet commented on this story in these forums:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/baldurs-gate-3-is-reportedly-in-development-by-an-unknown-studio-rpg-news-brian-fargo

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/7843-report-brian-fargo-may-be-working-on-baldur-s-gate-3

Personally, my money is on CDPR as the studio working on this, assuming such a project does exist. They recently dropped hints on what they have in line to follow Cyberpunk 2077, saying effectively that their next project is a AAA RPG not involving the Witcher franchise.

• Like 5

Eneresting...

Very...

EEEEEneresting.

I'm intrigued! Thanks for this!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Beamdog did an excellent job with the Enhanced Editions and the expansion pack though, much better than old Bioware would have anyway. Andthe way they introduced BG series to a new generation in a way that nobody else could.

I like Beamdog.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Beamdog did an excellent job with the Enhanced Editions and the expansion pack though, much better than old Bioware would have anyway. Andthe way they introduced BG series to a new generation in a way that nobody else could.

I like Beamdog.

Beamdog is ****. everything they do is ****. I'm no CDPR fan, but  they'd do better with BG3 than Barfdog.

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? Stay tuned and find out.

• Like 11

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I like Beamdog.

Expansion pack? You mean the mod they made and charged money for where the Forgotten Realms were turned into a re-education camp? Yeah, that was GOTY material *cough*. In all fairness though, Ed Greenwood liked it since it held true to the source material. 

I like Beamdog.

Expansion pack? You mean the mod they made and charged money for where the Forgotten Realms were turned into a re-education camp? Yeah, that was GOTY material *cough*. In all fairness though, Ed Greenwood liked it since it held true to the source material.

Hmmmm... Surely, by your definition of a mod, the BGII expansions should have been for free to all buyers and games like Team Fortress, Blue Shift and Portal should just be free mods as well.

Beamdog is ****. everything they do is ****. I'm no CDPR fan, but they'd do better with BG3 than Barfdog.

You say that but what your reasons behind it? How exactly did they "screw" things over or is just because they made those sjw companions and everyone didn't like the fact that they are for inclusion? Which is really irrelevant to quality.

Soy.

Edited by SonicMage117

blah blah blah blah

Beamdog probably isn't doing it anyway.

More importantly, it would be 5th edition - unless there is some massive and unexpected change of policy from WOTC. It would probably look a lot more like Pathfinder: Kingmaker than, say, The Black Hound.

I like Beamdog.

Hmmmm... Surely, by your definition of a mod, the BGII expansions should have been for free to all buyers and games like Team Fortress, Blue Shift and Portal should just be free mods as well.

Beamdog is ****. everything they do is ****. I'm no CDPR fan, but they'd do better with BG3 than Barfdog.

You say that but what your reasons behind it? How exactly did they "screw" things over or is just because they made those sjw companions and everyone didn't like the fact that they are for inclusion? Which is really irrelevant to quality.

Soy.

I was talking about Siege of Dragonspear. I distinctly remember Trent Oster going on a tangent how there's a loud minority giving the game a bad wrap for including companions with unconventional lifestyles. Not only did Trent teach me and others that straight people were suddenly a minority on planet Earth, he also banned people from the Beamdog boards for not singing his praise and had his camp guards rate the game perfect on the Internet. 'Inclusion' is a poor excuse for bad writing and responding to criticism by calling people 'soyboys' or 'snowflakes' is a foolproof way to lose customers in the long run. When your characters are defined by their sexuality or their political affiliation, perhaps you are not cut out to be a writer.  

• Like 4

I understand that, but that's just the agenda now days and no matter how much we (as fans) choose not to vote with our wallets or forum complaints, that's not going to change what makes the characters but I'd have to disagree that different lifestyles or sjw agenda cripples character quality or story capacity. There's no such thing, I mean we, as straight gamers, don't like it - I don't really but I refuse to let it spoil me from enjoying a great show, movie or game with characters based around such ideals.

I didn't really like when CW switched their focus to gay/bi characters, for example but that was just my prejudicial preference, now I've grown use to the fact that the world is changing. When I was in High School, there was one gay person in a class of over 400 students. Now, in that same high school, straight folk ARE the minority and the new mainspace for identifying one's self is "gender-fluid" ajd bisexual/gay are the majority. We can't really excommunicate this generation for that though, I mean to be honest we do, alot of us (from 50's to 90's) tend to make fun of or outcast this new generation for being different but in hindsight, they've already won. The more we protest the sjw linesight within our media, the more it's going to pushback - but again, that has nothing to do with quality, nor is it any worse from what made games from before the time sjw material was forced into medial culture.

See, I wouldn't expect it to live up to any gamers expectations, who played it back when the first originally released. It's hard shoes to fill but even on a more extreme note, I have no doubt that even if it was executed perfectly and faithfully to the originals, we'll still find something to whine about because that's just the way it is.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Didn't bunch of key Bioware devs leave the company? Anyone know what they are up to and if still in gaming?

To be honest I have no idea who could be doing it. I doubt it's a major AAA project. 

While a D&D project would be welcome I am not too interested in actual Baldur's Gate sequel.

It will happen lol And when they get it, they'll complain about it being a reskin/clone and un-original hehe

• Like 2

I thought it all came from bad marketing.

Keiji Inafune seemed to rub people the wromg way when he said "It's better than nothing" in response to critical feedback from the funders. I think people who pledge often get a false sense of entitlement "We funded the game so our say is ultimately what goes", people should know better but you always have those peeps that try to force devs to change their initial vision.

The other mishap was the "Sadder than a lonely anime fan on prom night" comment or something like that - stereotyping it's fanbase as lonely loser virgins who can't get a date, this provoked a media crapstorm. It basically turned the tide of the hype to hate, amazing really lol

As far aa the games, well Mega man 11 is more or less the same but a bit shinier. Capcom truly took advantage, showing that sometimes ignoring fans on forums and social media and just dumping a game can work quite well.

Edited by SonicMage117

As far aa the games, well Mega man 11 is more or less the same but a bit shinier. Capcom truly took advantage, showing that sometimes ignoring fans on forums and social media and just dumping a game can work quite well.

Yes, it must be a nightmare to develop a game with a large fanbase and have it crowdfunded.

As for BG3, I don't really care if they try to stick to the original formula. The more games of this genre, the best.

If only I had the time to replay the series in preparation... :banghead:

• Like 3

sign.jpg

Larian and Beamdog have both confirmed they are not involved.

This is what I wrote in another forum as my personal take:

It won't be a prequel, nor will it be a direct continuation from where ToB left off. It will follow Realms canon involving events in the city of Baldur's Gate in the 5e timeline. The "Murder in Baldur's Gate" 5e PnP game module could very well even be the jump-off point for the game. "Adrian Abdel" and other canon characters from the old games (including of course Minsc) may be featured in the backstory for the game, but the game will have nothing to do with any of those characters. It will be a completely new story with completely new characters, but because it will be set in the city of Baldur's Gate WotC will claim it justifies the labeling of the game as BG3 (or perhaps "BGNext" in today's WotC-speak).

There is precisely zero chance that WotC allows a new Forgotten Realms game to be made that is not set in the current 5e timeline. ZERO. They are extremely happy with how things have turned out with 5e and where the D&D franchise is at the present time. 5e is by far the best-selling D&D edition of all-time, and the new PnP game modules WotC has been cranking out on a frantic pace in the past several years have actually generally been very well received. Why would they not capitalize on all of that newfound enthusiasm for D&D? The target audience for a new BG game would NOT be old-timer fans of the original BG games. The target audience would be the literally millions of NEW D&D fans WotC has managed to generate in recent years for whom the old BG games are a quaint anachronism.

BG3 will be open world. It will likely be third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

The game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games.

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 1

An action rpg with real-time combat and online capability? Would be interesting, I would happily take that!

Didn't bunch of key Bioware devs leave the company? Anyone know what they are up to and if still in gaming?

To be honest I have no idea who could be doing it. I doubt it's a major AAA project. 

While a D&D project would be welcome I am not too interested in actual Baldur's Gate sequel.

It probably won't be Bioware. And if it is, it wouldn't matter, because 20 years on it isn't the same Bioware at all and basically none of the key figures are there anymore.

I'm not really sure what the point is, except marketing. It won't be the original creators, it won't be AD&D, it surely won't continue the story (unless to do so in a completely forced way), it won't be the same engine... hell, even The Black Hound back then was a BG3 in name only. They might as well just give it a new franchise, whatever it actually ends up being.