Loving the game, but I have some serious gripes.

This may sound stupid, but I created an account only to say these things. I'm not one of those entitled people who complain on the forums all the time. Usually I just enjoy the game, but I just can't help myself with this, it just feels to me like one small step from ultimate greatness, sorry. Pilalrs 1 was to me a bit meh at first... I couldn't get into the world and story, or be engaged enough, but I played through it and eventually it turned out to be great fun. The gameplay, combat, characters, dialouge... Great Stuff.

So here I am playing Deadfire and all is good and better with each minute... Except 2 things. Ships and horses!

Now please hear me out... I'd pay good money to have these things in-game, I bought into the whole sorta-season-pass thing and... the next DLC is a winter expansion, who would have expected that? Isn't this an expansion cliché? Warcraft, Dawn of War, Baldur's Torment (made that up, but it would probably be great)? It's not that I am ranting, but the game need JUST ONE DAMN THING! Please make the ship combat real-time! You know Sid Meier's Pirates? That thing! Hell, even Monkey Island 3 had this. If Obsidians ever consider adding something like that to the game and just that, I'd pay top dollar not to have to go through the text-based turn stuff.

As for the mounts, I get that these games try to do throwback to the Infinity Engine stuff, but... Why are there no horses? I could understand that in the 90's, when tech was limitied, but now? I don't need them for anything, it just feels weird when everyone travels everywhere on foot. I mean come on! You put ships in the game and can't do a horse? ;)

All that said, I am loving the games, Deadfire especially and I hope Obsidian keeps up the good stuff rolling.

PS Also, Tyranny 2 needs to happen at some point - best damn RPG since Torment and simply because you can act like and asswipe to anyone, and they still nod and bow down to the great level 1 agent of Tunon. My ending rocked BTW. :)

The game (at least original one - PoE 1) is Reneissance inspired. I don't remember how this was exactly in this period IRL, but in Medieval, or earlier, horses were actualy quite expensive, and used mostly by nobility and for war. For work on farms rather bovines were used. But I don't recall any one would ride on their back. ;) Hence, I guess, walking was quite normal way of transportation for most of people. ;) Just on the margin. ;)

Anyway, we deal here we Archipelago of mostly small islands. Hence, I don't think horses fits here that much. Some would use them for sure - and we have examples of this in the game. Still, I think that actualy first game's setting would be better for horses.

I miss something else - I'm mostly "role-player" and for me it is somewhat unimmersive when my party is on constant run (well, at least when it is not sneaking). Hence, I would like to see some "walking" pace button. ;)

But I somewhat agree about the naval battles. I haven't played games OP is mentioning, but I guess something like in Empire: Total War (or better) would be nice.

Those text based battles are not bad as such. But for me they quickly started to be rather boring if not annoying even.

But... I treat naval battles as something additional - not the main focus of the game. And I guess doing them to look like I would like to, would be rather expensive and time consuming - too much for additional content of the game. Hence, I accept  them as they are.

Wait... horses... At first I thought there may be no horses on Eora because you don't see them anywhere. Deer and stuff, wolves, boars, spiders... sure, but horses?

But then I remembered Defala in WMI. That slaver from from Raedceras. She has a cart with a horse! And there are the ones in the prologue. Are there more horses in the game?

Maybe Josh is like me: not particularly fond of horses. ;)

"Sid Meier's Pirarates!"-like ship battle would have been AWESOME! I kind of hate it that you can't really make use of the higher manoeverability of ships like Voyager and Sloop.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think that game would greatly benefit from revamped Ship2ship combat system, I am not into making it in a different game genre. I really like that you still act like a captain. I think what they went for is a great idea, it just needs to be... well good. Mechanically. The way game is presented isn't that relavant. The problem is that ship2ship combat is repetitive, and doesn't allow you to make interesting ship builds/choices.

I can't think of how you would included horses in Deadfire.

Beast of Winter was awesome.

• Like 1

Yeah, Tyranny 2 needs to happen! If they managed to change a slog-of-a-game like PoE into Deadfire I imagine sequel to Tyranny would be perfection. There are so many great ideas in this game: the world itself (first in a long time to be something else than 218th generic fantasy with elves and dwarves), characters (give me one Verse over all companions in both PoE), the atmosphere of opression, the way you can actually roleplay and feel like a different person with different results to your decisions and whole areas looking completely different, Conquest itself; Conquest Mode should be implemented as the beginning for every RPG from now on. This game is easily among legends like Fallout 2, Torment, Gothic II, Witcher III and New Vegas.

And they did all that with skeleton crew, no marketing and no Kickstarter. If they just started crowdfunding this game a year prior to release, people’d swarm it (on top of, you know, having more money and not run out of it in the middle of Act III). I hope they’ll remedy that if they choose to develop a sequel.

And yeah, winter expansion is a bit cliche, but they pulled it off. Shame there was zero agency in it and just blind following the dots but people apparently like that. Nice shout-out to fans of PoE 1.

• Like 1

Yeah, Tyranny 2 needs to happen!

As far as i know, Tyranny was published by Paradox (while they only distributed Pillars). And from the looks of it, it was not really successful. Paradox seems pretty disappointed by the sales. If i were you, i would not hope too much.

Yeah, Tyranny 2 needs to happen!

As far as i know, Tyranny was published by Paradox (while they only distributed Pillars). And from the looks of it, it was not really successful. Paradox seems pretty disappointed by the sales. If i were you, i would not hope too much.

There are some popular misconceptions around this - Tyranny actually did make money. Not as much as Paradox hoped it would, but it wasn't the unmitigated failure that people have come to believe (despite non-existent marketing, the game was produced at a profit and the ~600k sales were enough to warrant an expansion). The problem is that Paradox never did the work to nurture and expand the IP the way Obsidian has, so any kind of direct sequel would have to rely on sales almost exclusively from customers who played the first and liked it enough to shell out for a second round. It's too bad; I actually really liked Tyranny and would have loved to see a sequel, but Paradox has never seemed to want to build the IP into anything more than a one-shot.

What’s strangest about this situation is that Paradox didn’t even have to spend a lot of money; just starting a Kickstarter and releasing concept arts/development videos would be enough to develop hype. Crowdfunding not only generates well...funds, but most importantly interest. So yeah, they blew it. But some hope remains, maybe they’ll find themselves in need for cash and dust off some already-owned IP to milk a sequel. Maybe this IP will be Tyranny. One can dream.

I miss something else - I'm mostly "role-player" and for me it is somewhat unimmersive when my party is on constant run (well, at least when it is not sneaking). Hence, I would like to see some "walking" pace button. ;)

Wait there is a walk pace button ... it is in the game options.

Horses would be cool - like as a companion ... :geek:

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

The game (at least original one - PoE 1) is Reneissance inspired. I don't remember how this was exactly in this period IRL, but in Medieval, or earlier, horses were actualy quite expensive, and used mostly by nobility and for war. For work on farms rather bovines were used. But I don't recall any one would ride on their back. ;) Hence, I guess, walking was quite normal way of transportation for most of people. ;) Just on the margin. ;)

Anyway, we deal here we Archipelago of mostly small islands. Hence, I don't think horses fits here that much. Some would use them for sure - and we have examples of this in the game. Still, I think that actualy first game's setting would be better for horses.

But I somewhat agree about the naval battles. I haven't played games OP is mentioning, but I guess something like in Empire: Total War (or better) would be nice.

Those text based battles are not bad as such. But for me they quickly started to be rather boring if not annoying even.

But... I treat naval battles as something additional - not the main focus of the game. And I guess doing them to look like I would like to, would be rather expensive and time consuming - too much for additional content of the game. Hence, I accept  them as they are.

You should check the key mappings in options - I believe CAPS is the default for "walk," but don't quote me on that. The walk toggle actually makes a big difference from an RP perspective, one that I didn't think would matter much until I actually tried it. 

Previous dev streams have indicated that they're working on refinements to naval combat. I don't necessarily think that they have to depart from the text-based format, but the current system definitely needs additional options, better AI, and a less clunky turn-based system. There's just not enough incentive not to close to board as fast as possible.