Did Beast of Winter have a different narrative designer to the main game?

So give this video some credit! And my OP!

Why? Collecting likes doesn't make a lot of sense if one changes accounts every few months, does it?

I mean if it makes sense for one to collect likes in the first place... ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The main story would be more engaging and challenging if they more logically gated progress. For example, you have to recruit a faction (disposition 2) to bolster your forces and advance through the second story mission. The urgency of the main story is not believable either. We want our soul back...or we're the shepard of souls. But nothing in game actually forces us to move with urgency. Something like, the longer you go without your soul, the slower exp gain. Or you hear of more settlements being trampled. Something in game that evidences the sense of urgency. Ah oh well, can always RP I guess haha.

It shouldn't be so urgent. And we should have to search for Eothas.

Yeah but the stupid thing is you don’t actually need ypur soul.

You can still use all your abilities and cast spells no problem without it so why do i need it?

That part of the soul has 15 experience levels. If we could get them... :p

Even less urgency would be ideal but require a complete rewrite of the story. The only problem is...it's kinda hard to miss a giant made of Adra ;)

The main story would be more engaging and challenging if they more logically gated progress. For example, you have to recruit a faction (disposition 2) to bolster your forces and advance through the second story mission. The urgency of the main story is not believable either. We want our soul back...or we're the shepard of souls. But nothing in game actually forces us to move with urgency. Something like, the longer you go without your soul, the slower exp gain. Or you hear of more settlements being trampled. Something in game that evidences the sense of urgency. Ah oh well, can always RP I guess haha.

It shouldn't be so urgent. And we should have to search for Eothas.

Yeah but the stupid thing is you don’t actually need ypur soul.

You can still use all your abilities and cast spells no problem without it so why do i need it?

That part of the soul has 15 experience levels. If we could get them... :p

Even less urgency would be ideal but require a complete rewrite of the story. The only problem is...it's kinda hard to miss a giant made of Adra ;)

Not if it goes underwater...

sign.jpg

Same for GOG. Reasons for the bad scores are mostly:

-Extremely buggy on release (even though 6 hotfix patches have already been published)

-Balance problem (many players find it insanely difficult (although it is said that difficulty beyond "normal mode" is meant to be clairly unfair). Dev claims that some encounters were indeed messed up, and have already solved the most well-known (the wolves and the glitch in random encounters))

After reading several dozens reviews on GOG, i guess that these 2 points represented more than 90% of the complaints (many gave minimum score just for that). I have personaly more hope for Kingmaker than for Pillars.

I don't know how well PFKM is selling, but the reviews on Steam are in the 'mixed' range, which I don't think is a good sign.

It has been in the top 10 of all games on steam (not just rpgs) ever since it was released

I am guessing the pathfinder IP is the reason for this. 

I played it for a bit and yes deadfire is clearly a better game IMO. If Obsidian had left the casting and rest system the same as POE1 and not had the sh$tty boat combat then Deadfire would be selling alot better IMO

Edited by bigbazoopa
  • Like 1

I don't know how well PFKM is selling, but the reviews on Steam are in the 'mixed' range, which I don't think is a good sign.

You can't put much faith in the Steam reviews, a simple up/down system just doesn't work very well. Plus since most people are idiots their opinion is rather worthless :) 

If you read the reviews they paint a picture of a game that has a lot of flaws that are being addressed by the devs and a game system that is poorly explained to people unfamiliar with the Pathfinder system, but that there is potential for greatness inside. You'll have to wait and see if time fixes the flaws.

I figure to wait a few months and see where it ends up before purchasing which is what I'd have done with Deadfire if I hadn't been a backer.

• Like 1

-Extremely buggy on release (even though 6 hotfix patches have already been published)

-Balance problem (many players find it insanely difficult (although it is said that difficulty beyond "normal mode" is meant to be clairly unfair). Dev claims that some encounters were indeed messed up, and have already solved the most well-known (the wolves and the glitch in random encounters))

After reading several dozens reviews on GOG, i guess that these 2 points represented more than 90% of the complaints (many gave minimum score just for that). I have personaly more hope for Kingmaker than for Pillars.

Because Deadfire was released with no bugs at all :D

The biggest reason is that the hardest difficulty level (>LITERALLY< called "Unfair", so you kinda know what to expect) kicked everyone's asses to the moon and back. Players couldn't handle it, lost bragging rights, and had to vent somehow. You have to know the system inside out and play a well powergramed, custom group, not story companions (who are really bad). That's how highest difficulty should look like, but ezmode games like Deadfire spoiled everyone.

One thing that the game doesn't prepare you for is that without any knowledge about PnP (at least D&D 3.5 if not Pathfinder), you will have a bad time, because it's very easy to completely mess up your character.

• Like 1

The biggest reason is that the hardest difficulty level (>LITERALLY< called "Unfair", so you kinda know what to expect) kicked everyone's asses to the moon and back. Players couldn't handle it, lost bragging rights, and had to vent somehow. You have to know the system inside out and play a well powergramed, custom group, not story companions (who are really bad). That's how highest difficulty should look like, but ezmode games like Deadfire spoiled everyone.

One thing that the game doesn't prepare you for is that without any knowledge about PnP (at least D&D 3.5 if not Pathfinder), you will have a bad time, because it's very easy to completely mess up your character.

Well, i tried not to act like a Kingmaker fanboy :D. But yeah, you're absolutely right. Same reason why some players here complained about the idea of PotD getting ramped up. I personally never played Pillars 1 in PotD. I don't min max, my MC is the weakest member of the party. I don't spam rest and barely ever use camping supplies, because my rule of thumbs is "one rest per day, no rests in dungeons". And even playing like this, i still had to go up to Hard difficulty in order to have a proper challenge. Deadfire is even easier. I'm pretty sure i would need to go up to PotD if i were to play it. They made sure Kevin, 10 years old, could beat the game without using his brain. Because Kevin's parents may become customers for Obs. Lame.

But to be fair, at release, you could consider Deadfire bug free compared to Kingmaker. I've read issue reports, and Kingmaker was really riddled with game breaking bugs. Here is a short list of examples:

-CTDs

-Crashs to main menu

-Quest triggers broken

-Many save corrupting bugs

-Invisible characters/equipement

-No text in game for some localizations (preventing players to even create their character, because buttons were empty)

-Characters disappearing from the game

-Random encounters had some lvl 14+ encounters attacking lvl 2 party.

-and so on...

Looks like the guys at Owlcat Games are in the middle of a big crunch. There was hotfixes adressing tens of bugs, every day. But still, you won't find, in their game, any auto heal, any "click to win" button, and you have to manage your resources instead of brainlessly spamming everything each and every fight.

As a side note, they're adding tutorial and tooltips to help the player understand the rules. And they modified combat log in order for it to tell the player about immunities and resistances. That was much needed.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

I've played a bit of Pathfinder and am loving it so far. It clearly still has some launch issues (bugs and balance) and I think that's why it rightly has a number of negative reviews on Steam. However, if you're familiar with the DnD ruleset from the Neverwinter Nights games, it's very easy to get into Pathfinder.

If you want the ideal experience, I recommend waiting. But for players like me, who really disliked Deadfire's turn away from strategic elements in its combat system, Pahtfinder delivers a refreshing take on combat and dungeon crawling. It also offers some pretty solid narrative, quest and character twists even early in the game, in a much gutsier way than the Pillars games have.

• Like 1

The main problem i have with the main plot is that it just appears to random, made up and all over the place. It is as if Obsidian spun a wheel back at there office that had all different kinds of plot scenarios on it and the wheel stopped at eothas breaking down my house sucking my soul out then he decidedly to play a game of hide and seek. I mean come on really? This is just plane stupid.

Then the god rants oh my god the god rants. They where just embarrassing.

The Gods act like a bunch of teenagers. It's terrible.

To be fair that's pretty much what most people with infinite power and zero accountability would devolve into.

Deadfire's bugs didn't make completing the game impossible. Also I started on normal (you know the basic difficulty) and got utter nonsense like running into elder elementals at level 3 and getting status effects I had no way of curing. There's plenty of well written posts on reddit about how the difficulty was excessive and it had nothing to do with people playing on unfair. The difficulty was overtuned (thankfully they toned it down so now its more reasonable though some of the random encounters are still idiotic. That could be solved with a flee option but there's not one so...). I like both Pillars and Pathfinder but Pathfinder has waaaay more bugs than Pillars did even on release. Not to mention their hotfixes introducing even more severe bugs.

That said I do have hope the devs will fix this eventually and it'll be a great game when it is fixed.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 2