Freeze at character creation

abaris

Question

After the last patch and DLC I can't start a new game.

I keep constantly freezing at character creation. At different stages, but always. It's virtually impossible to start a new game.

I have disabled steam overlay and steam cloud and steam doesn't even recognize me playing the game, since I'm starting it with administrator right from my desktop.

Any advice?

7 answers to this question

Hello Abaris,

I'm sorry you are getting freeze issues during your playthrough.  My best recommendation for people who hadn't had this problem until adding DLC is to uninstall and reinstall the entire game at once.  If that doesn't fix it for you, then would you be able to reproduce the issue and then send us a copy of your output_log.txt file.  If needed, you can find instructions on how to obtain that file here.  You can either provide a link to your file via Dropbox or you may attach it to an email for us at support@obsidian.net. If you do email us, please link this post and mention your forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Hello Abaris,

I'm sorry you are getting freeze issues during your playthrough.  My best recommendation for people who hadn't had this problem until adding DLC is to uninstall and reinstall the entire game at once.  If that doesn't fix it for you, then would you be able to reproduce the issue and then send us a copy of your output_log.txt file.  If needed, you can find instructions on how to obtain that file here.  You can either provide a link to your file via Dropbox or you may attach it to an email for us at support@obsidian.net. If you do email us, please link this post and mention your forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is, I can reproduce the issue, but not at the exact same stage. I enter character creation and it happens at some point. Sometimes as early as selecting the race, sometimes as late as selecting a name. Savegames are working fine for the most part.

Edited by abaris

Hey Nuix,

Just to update you, Abaris sent us some of the requested information and we are working with that.  If you happen to have those files as well, that could also prove useful to compare and get this fixed up.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Hey Nuix,

Just to update you, Abaris sent us some of the requested information and we are working with that.  If you happen to have those files as well, that could also prove useful to compare and get this fixed up.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Hi, Schin!

My problem is as follows. If it happens, I can only quit by calling up task manager. No output file seems to be created in these instances.

On another note, and I don't know if it's got anything to do with the problem, I always kept freezing when importing a POE1 save of my doing. When I selected a generic history, I could finish character creation.

It seems off, I know, cause I can't imagine a savegame state interferring with Character creation.

Edited by abaris
  • Like 1

Having the same problem.

Just bought the game on GoG recently and downloaded everything at the same time. At different times during character creation when I select an option during the conversation with the pallid knight the game freezes.

Can still move the mouse around and the music still plays but it just stops at that point and it needs to be closed through the task manager.

Edit: Managed to get past Character Creation after a lot of attempts but game still froze during conversation with Eder and the statue right after.

Edited by Ancalador

Hey Ancalador,

Would you be able to send us some stuff so we could look into your situation with this and compare?  The crash.dmp, error.log, and output_log.txt files would all be great if you've crashed, but if no crash folder has been generated, then i'll see if we can work with the output_log.txt file.  Instructions for finding these can be found here.  If you could send what you can find to me at support@obsidian.net along with your forum user name and a link to this thread as a reference, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks and sorry you are running into this as well.