[3.0] Stuck in combat in Berath's Challenge

thelee

Question

OK, this isn't just unintuitive, this is plain buggy, and was extremely frustrating.

See this youtube video I uploaded. I killed all enemies in sight in this encounter in the Hanging Sepulchers, but remained stuck in combat (my characters are still taking damage because a couple of them got hit with gouging strike). I wandered around aimlessly for a while before heading north, and after the video ends I ended up encountering a completely unrelated group of enemies. I got so frustrated with this (I was already mostly out of per-encounter abilities so this would've been a wipe) that I instead just quit to the desktop. I hope Obsidian developers internalize the fact that when bugs make it out to production it can cause events like tonight where I basically had an entire play session squandered because of repeatedly dealing with this bug and being unable to complete an already annoying encounter. I still remember when doing The Ultimate achievement back in PoE1 I had to "cheat" by keeping back up saves because I had lost several attempts solely because of random bugs.

Dropbox link to output log and quick save: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7wm7qhw5gd88ewe/AAB97iSfAXi5-1W-2GKe3YPLa?dl=0

6 answers to this question

This is not a bug, but a feature of Berath's challenge, as described in a post similar to what you made. You may consider it a poor design feature, but that's why it's called a challenge, I guess.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106005-combat-resolved-but-encounter-not-ending/?do=findComment&comment=2101967

I remember the fight you are taking about in Hanging Sepulchers. Enemies spawn mid fight, but are considered part of the current mob you're fighting, which is why you have to find them and kill them before combat will end.

Edited by cloudblade70

This is not a bug, but a feature of Berath's challenge, as described in a post similar to what you made. You may consider it a poor design feature, but that's why it's called a challenge, I guess.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106005-combat-resolved-but-encounter-not-ending/?do=findComment&comment=2101967

I remember the fight you are taking about in Hanging Sepulchers. Enemies spawn mid fight, but are considered part of the current mob you're fighting, which is why you have to find them and kill them before combat will end.

Please watch the video. I killed those enemies (I'm assuming you're talking about the skellies that appear out of the tombs and then another couple of enemies just north of a couple traps of that room that can join in, an area I run through on the way north to disarm a trap). I am wandering around quite a bit (and even trying to disarm a random trap) and still stuck in combat, with no apparent enemies in sight.

(I actually did more wandering than is recorded in the video, which is why I start quite a ways before the actual encounter, and why part of the map is already explored when I head north to disarm the trap.)

Edited by thelee

IIRC, for that fight, there was an enemy that spawned in an alcove way off in the southeast. It's down and to the right of the beginning of your video. Either that, or the next group of enemies past the trap you were trying to disarm at the end was also somehow connected. Combat ended once the extra enemies were killed.

Edited by cloudblade70

IIRC, for that fight, there was an enemy that spawned in an alcove way off in the southeast. It's down and to the right of the beginning of your video. Either that, or the next group of enemies past the trap you were trying to disarm at the end was also somehow connected. Combat ended once the extra enemies were killed.

Nope: those rotghasts spawn as part of another fight further north if a wraith abducts you (or you can manually trigger them). 

And further nope, this is definitely a bug: I tried this encounter again for the umpteenth time (though on a different computer this time) and killed the exact same enemies and the battle immediately ended.

Actually the one real difference between those failures and the most recent, successful attempt is that for some reason my gaming PC wasn't updating and was still on 3.0.0.26. The laptop I tried it on this morning (that succeeded) was at 3.0.1. maybe there was a ninja fix in the patch?