After playing a wizard through the game on POTD I felt like it was missing out compared to every other caster class. Druids have spiritshift, Ciphers have soul whip, etc. On POTD the fights tend to drag on for quite awhile and 3 casts per encounter was underwhelming. One idea I have to give single class Wizards a boost is to give them a talent to use two empowers per encounter on their 8th or 9th power level. This way, on fights that are tough and drag on, they have 4 spells per level to cast. 

I meant that they only have 3 casts per level per encounter...using empower to refresh for a 3rd round of casting. Explain more what you guys mean by swapping grimoires. Like that gives a wider variety of spells to cast, or am I missing something? 

Grimoires offer a lot of different benefits.  There are multiple grimoires that contain powerful spells that may not be learned when leveling up, and there is one grimoire that allows one additional spell cast per encounter at the cost of having all damage cause an interrupt (a penalty that can be mitigated by another piece of gear).  Grimoire swapping essentially allows you complete access to every normal spell either before or during any combat.  I frequently find myself switching between Ninagauth's Teachings and the Iron Clasped just so I can use the different unique spells in each grimoire as needed.  

Wizards - like all other casters with fixed spell uses, have 2 spell uses per spell level per encounter. 3 only with the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry (here we have the fist example why grimoires are powerful in Deadfire).

As others said: there are a few unique grimoires who contain very powerful unique spells (see Arkemy'r Brilliant Departure, Ninagauth's Shadowflame etc.).

Besides that, grimoires allow you to concentrate on non-spell abilites because you can always cast spells from grimoires as if you took the spell ability - without spending a single ability point. That is very good for wizard multiclasses (they actualy don't need to pick a single spell if they don't want to but can still choose from a variety of spell compositions during a fight) but also nice for a single class wizard. Who can then concentrate on passives like Rapid Casting, Accurate Empower and the like - and only take spells they really really want to always be able to cast (no matter which grimoire is equipped).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods