"Issues with Nvidia Graphics Cards" - Fixed?

ahmbor

Question

On 1/24/2019 at 3:56 AM, SChin said:

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry that this is still an issue for all or most of you.  This is still our number one concern and programmers are still looking for ways to improve the performance issues on these Nvidia cards while we wait for help from Nvidia.  I know there have been a few tweaks between the last few patches, but no "cure-all" fix yet.  I am truly sorry that this is still an active issue for you and hope that we can get everyone running Deadfire the way it is intended.

Sorry again for all the frustration this has been causing and thank you for your tremendous patience.

I just tried to start playing Deadfire again, and while I have not finished tweaking, it runs worse than ever post 5.0. I have massive, huge, stutters - like it locks up for half a second, every 30 seconds, always. Apart from that it stutters frequently in conversations, otherwise as well. I have a 2700x and a RTX 2080. 

Please Obsidian - in neither POE1 or POE2 did you fix your awful frametimes, choppy gameplay and overall stuttering. Please understand that for some of us that are sensitive to this, it makes the game so much less enjoyable. In certain areas like Fort Deadlight it really impacts gameplay. It runs really, really badly (got about 35-50 FPS with huge stutters there).

Unity gets lots of ****, but frankly other developers don't have anywhere near the same extent of issues with frametiming or choppiness. I would guess it is because they care about the issue and either have or procure the expertise needed to sort it. 

For your next games, you have to start to take this seriously. Moving to Unreal is a good move (Unreal 4 is a super smooth engine), and I hope you stick with that for an eventual POE3. It's such a shame that you craft such beautiful games that are so engrossing and fun to play, all while you constantly get ripped out of it due to huge stutters. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam Brennecke said:

This means that the CPU is the bottleneck and not the GPU.

:huh: Strange things. Even i'm not suffering NVidia problem (have Saphire Nitro OC+ 570 RX 8Gb onboard), but my CPU (6 core Rizen 5 2600) is barely used - during exploration it flows around 25-35% load, and around 45-50% during heavily crowded fights, but videocard always works at 100% load. How can 8 core i7 CPU, for example, be a bottleneck?

Edited by Phenomenum

Likewise, I have an i7 4790k and even when framerates drop below 60, my cores are far from 100% used. In the immortal words of Jon Irenicus, there is much untapped power.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

1 hour ago, AndreaColombo said:

Likewise, I have an i7 4790k and even when framerates drop below 60, my cores are far from 100% used. In the immortal words of Jon Irenicus, there is much untapped power.

Seems like a game engine (or, more precisely, game's code) can't properly utilize modern CPU's power - and this is a true bottleneck.

No offense, but when I'm reading things like @Adam Brennecke post i feel myself like...

Kartinki_684_03040838.jpg

Edited by Phenomenum

Game also suffers from memory leaks that degrade performance over time rather significantly. Would be great if that could be ameliorated.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

i have huge stuttering problems with the game what can i do to fix it? I already made a question about it but nobody answers me. (sry if my english is not that good ^^) I have a I5-8400 Processor, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 (6GB) Graphic Card and 16GB RAM. 

1 hour ago, Mr Nightmare said:

i have huge stuttering problems with the game what can i do to fix it? I already made a question about it but nobody answers me. (sry if my english is not that good ^^) I have a I5-8400 Processor, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 (6GB) Graphic Card and 16GB RAM. 

Go to the slaughterhouse with your computer - this one no good enough for Deadfire :grin:

1 hour ago, Phenomenum said:

Go to the slaughterhouse with your computer - this one no good enough for Deadfire :grin:

Really? Is there literally no possible way to fix the stuttering? So i basically bought a horrible optimized game, which the developers abonded because they dont care about us and just wanted to take our Money. Oh that sounds just great.... even games like Fallout 76 don't have this kind of technical problems. I'm so mad right now... i was looking everywhere for help and literally nobody cares. Nobody on Steam was able to help me (i dont even get any answers there) and apparently nobody here can help me... what am i supposed to do? I was really enyoying the game but these stuttering problems are ruining the game experience for me its unplayable right now.... I basically just threw my Money down to the toilet... 😥

7 minutes ago, Mr Nightmare said:

Really? Is there literally no possible way to fix the stuttering? So i basically bought a horrible optimized game, which the developers abonded because they dont care about us and just wanted to take our Money. Oh that sounds just great.... even games like Fallout 76 don't have this kind of technical problems. I'm so mad right now... i was looking everywhere for help and literally nobody cares. Nobody on Steam was able to help me (i dont even get any answers there) and apparently nobody here can help me... what am i supposed to do? I was really enyoying the game but these stuttering problems are ruining the game experience for me its unplayable right now.... I basically just threw my Money down to the toilet... 😥

Really? You have no sense of humor?

8 hours ago, Phenomenum said:

Seems like a game engine (or, more precisely, game's code) can't properly utilize modern CPU's power - and this is a true bottleneck.

No offense, but when I'm reading things like @Adam Brennecke post i feel myself like...

Reveal hidden contents

This is correct. All of Unity's scripting is run on a single thread - so we are only using one of the many cores in modern CPUs. In some of the larger areas of the game the vast majority of the frame time is spent running scripting on that thread. Unity has recently added a job system and some more multithreading capabilities - but unfortunately, the version we are using can't take advantage of it.

• Like 1

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

18 minutes ago, Mr Nightmare said:

Hey Mr. Nightmare, 

The developers are still looking into fixes for it.  Do you experience the same stuttering if you jump straight into a map? You can do this by typing "iroll20s" in the console and then hitting F-11. From the list of maps, you can go to Fort Deadlight or Neketaka and see how the performance is without loading a save game. Getting a video from you would also be very helpful if you have the ability to capture and upload footage.

Thank you!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adam Brennecke said:

This is correct. All of Unity's scripting is run on a single thread - so we are only using one of the many cores in modern CPUs. In some of the larger areas of the game the vast majority of the frame time is spent running scripting on that thread. Unity has recently added a job system and some more multithreading capabilities - but unfortunately, the version we are using can't take advantage of it.

It was obvious, but why you can't write about this earlier?!  Why you messing around with that problem? Why you can't tell your customers: "Yep, we failed in some things"???

You have a lot of fans, a lot of support - and doing some "sneaky" things you loosing a great part of it. Adam, i know you're not a SEO, but you can try to deliver a message to your boss: "Don't **** with Aria your players".

1 hour ago, Adam Brennecke said:

Hey Mr. Nightmare, 

The developers are still looking into fixes for it.  Do you experience the same stuttering if you jump straight into a map? You can do this by typing "iroll20s" in the console and then hitting F-11. From the list of maps, you can go to Fort Deadlight or Neketaka and see how the performance is without loading a save game. Getting a video from you would also be very helpful if you have the ability to capture and upload footage.

Thank you!

I experience the stuttering everywhere. When i'm on my ship, on the World Map (not as bad though) when i'm in a city. The Worst so far is on Fort Deadlight at certain places there its unplayable because i get a Monster Stutter every 3 seconds. I can't upload anything because it says "You are only allowed to upload 1,024kb" I have no idea what that means, i can only capture footage with the Nvidia overlay but i can't upload any of it. And i dont even now how thats supposed to help me... 

You could either upload to YouTube and link it, or send it via email to support@obsidian.net

35 minutes ago, Mr Nightmare said:

ok thank you :)

YouTube upload preferred. :) You can also upload video to Steam.

It helps me to see the video of the issue to diagnose what's going on and to make sure we are on the same page with what the problem is. 

I'm still curious if you see the problem with jumping to an area from the main menu. Could you please try this if you have a chance? The problem may not be related to your video card - it might be an issue with your save game.

Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, Mr Nightmare said:

Ok guys i uploaded a Video on Youtube i hope you guys can see the stuttering, its only about 30 Seconds long. 

Awesome! Thank you so much. This helps tremendously.

Can you upload your save files anywhere? By any chance to do you have Discord running? Also if you have time - try doing the debug jump test to a map from the main menu to see if you can reproduce the problem. 

• Like 3

@Adam Brennecke this video reminds me something: in our PM chat with @MaxQuest he mentioned that game engine running some "cleaning" every 3 sec., that can cause stutter (i'd rather call it freezes) like this ones, in video. Personally i don't experienced this issue even on Core2Duo 2.4 paired with NVidia 760 (my old computer), but maybe it cause impact on some systems. And a second: i've seen a plenty of topics related to Unity Console - it may cause freezes like in this video every N sec. Don't know if this info can help...

Edited by Phenomenum

23 hours ago, Phenomenum said:

@Adam Brennecke this video reminds me something: in our PM chat with @MaxQuest he mentioned that game engine running some "cleaning" every 3 sec., that can cause stutter (i'd rather call it freezes) like this ones, in video. 

I've seen this mentioned on a couple of forums. And will add a few source links:

- stutter related to garbage collector (usually minor hookups every 3s): https://support.brightrockgames.com/communities/1/topics/850-stuttering-every-10-15s. And additionally: one, two, three, four

- micro stutter related to Unity's VSync: one, two

- general performance issues in Unity: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/fixing-performance-problems#5c7f8528edbc2a002053b594

- inherent problems with smoothness in general: https://medium.com/@alen.ladavac/the-elusive-frame-timing-168f899aec92 

---

At the moment the main optimizations a user can try, seem to be:

• [Special K] fix by Kaldaien
  • disabling VSync in Deadfire (and enabling it Nvidia's Control Panel)
  • keeping the amount of saves low (sub 70 I guess)
  • keeping the amount of items in inventory low as well (but sell the junk somewhere not in Queens' Berth).

And also there is a large collection of performance tweaks (that may, or may not help): here

Edited by MaxQuest

Hi @Adam Brennecke, are you still looking into the (micro-)stuttering?

I have no other idea whether this is of any use to you, but I just wanted to point out that whenever I play Pathfinder: Kingmaker, I experience the same baffling drops, and at the same intervals, more or less: every 45-60 seconds. Tyranny, however, is unaffected. I'm on an i7-7700K/GTX 1070 8gb/SSD.

Edited by pomenitul