Kapana Taga can give you armour which is admittedly a better bonus. It can also debuff Will for your casters to use, but you'd need to use it in a different way--the tank will need to be solo and all the party will need to chill back or in stealth. If you don't want to do that, then the Galdiator sword is better for you :)

• Like 2

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Kapana Taga can give you armour which is admittedly a better bonus. It can also debuff Will for your casters to use, but you'd need to use it in a different way--the tank will need to be solo and all the party will need to chill back or in stealth. If you don't want to do that, then the Galdiator sword is better for you :).

Thanks, bro. I was looking at that as well. Looks like a good fit.

Kapana Tags + Akola's Apex Ward + Reckless Brigandine + Champion's Helm + Trickster/Unbroken is a broken combo (pun intended). You'll get three Ripostes with high AcC (Rogue's + Akola's + Helm), high attack speed, 6 engagement slots although you use Mobile Stance and not Defender and thus 6 enemies with Persistent Distraction. Great attack speed for such a thick turtle, too.

Looks very tribal though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I agree that your set up is awesome. I don't remember why the Apex Ward was not my top pick for a dodge tank.

..hmm, isn't it locked out behind a heavy negative rep with the Huana and a high tier ship battle with that faction? The very faction that would have your character fit in with the cool aumuau appearance. :(

Edited by XEternalXDreamsX

I agree that your set up is awesome. I don't remember why the Apex Ward was not my top pick for a dodge tank.

..hmm, isn't it locked out behind a heavy negative rep with the Huana and a high tier ship battle with that faction? The very faction that would have your character fit in with the cool aumuau appearance. :(

Yes, that's a bit of a bummer. You have to annoy the hell out of the Huana faction.

The riposte from Akola's Apex Ward is almost useless because the hit is made with an unenchanted weapon, not with your main weapon (and the chance seems to be lower than the 25% advertised).

As "useless" as Combusting Wounds with a bit of underpenetration?

But yeah, it's not supergood. It doesn't even profit from Sneak Attack etc. The +1 AR might be the better enchantment. I get like 16-20 dmg from it if it manages to crit (else it can't penetrate most of the time).

Another nice dps/tank apporach might be Streetfighter/Unbroken with the same setup or Bronlar's Phalanx (deflection increases while health drops). But you shouldn't enchant Kapana Tage with immunity to flanked then.

I could also imagine a Mage Slayer with focus on spell resistance and reflection with Xoti's Lantern might work well. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

The riposte from Akola's Apex Ward is almost useless because the hit is made with an unenchanted weapon, not with your main weapon (and the chance seems to be lower than the 25% advertised).

As "useless" as Combusting Wounds with a bit of underpenetration?

No, more... But you can always combine it with Combusting Wounds to do a little more damage, I'm sure you can make it work.  :lol:

Edited by Kaylon

Kapana Tags + Akola's Apex Ward + Reckless Brigandine + Champion's Helm + Trickster/Unbroken is a broken combo (pun intended). You'll get three Ripostes with high AcC (Rogue's + Akola's + Helm), high attack speed, 6 engagement slots although you use Mobile Stance and not Defender and thus 6 enemies with Persistent Distraction. Great attack speed for such a thick turtle, too.

Looks very tribal though.

Yup i love this one.

You can also consider squid's grasp - it has an enchant for "+30% Action Speed when threatened by 3 or more enemies" and it makes you immune to flanking, saving 10 deflection. I often use squid's + kapana so have a tank with some dps as well.

@OP early game my tank uses a dagger for +10 deflection (modal), which is more than the gladiator's sword bonus.

Edited by Flucas

@OP early game my tank uses a dagger for +10 deflection (modal), which is more than the gladiator's sword bonus.

Yes, but the dagger modal works only vs melee weapons and most creatures don't use weapons (fangs, claws, etc. aren't considered weapons).

• Like 1

Yes, but the dagger modal works only vs melee weapons and most creatures don't use weapons (fangs, claws, etc. aren't considered weapons).

Ha I never realized. And the Skrim bonus from Gladiator's sword is 5 defl across the board?

Ha I never realized. And the Skrim bonus from Gladiator's sword is 5 defl across the board?

It seems like it is across the board as long as you are wielding a shield. At least from the wording, but I don't know in practice. If it is only range, hopefully they will modify the wording.

Gladiator's Sword +5 deflection is constant as long as you are pairing it with a shield. It shows up on my character screen on all the time, and doesn't appear to be conditional. Gladiator's sword also adds +10% damage (when used with shield) and +1 PEN, so I think it's kind of underrated.

There's also Outward Spikes on Tuitilo's Palm for an extra riposte-like attack, if you prefer a shield that gives you dual-wield speed and dual-wield full attacks. (I don't think Outward Spikes is a full attack, but regular Riposte is.) Tuitilo's Palm might not add quite as much deflection as some of the other options mentioned above, but may still be worth it if you want to do more than just riposting -- and it doesn't have the accuracy penalty that some of the other options have (plus, even if you aren't a monk, you can use Monastic Unarmed Training to scale its weapon stats).

I've been playing with a Goldpact Paladin/Trickster with Gladiator's Sword and Tuitilo's Palm with high RES and PER (aiming for Champion's helm for a third riposte chance once I get that far). Still low levels (no Persistent Distraction yet), but it's been pretty effective, at least once I got Tuitilo's Palm. And it ripostes more often than I expected, though it depends on getting the enemies to attack me. I had to change my other tank's AI to slow it down so I could get the enemies to go aggro on me first. I have to run into battle first to draw aggo, so I have to wait to cast Mirrored Image and Sworn Enemy. If I cast those before drawing aggro, then too many enemies swarm my other characters, lowering the number of ripostes I get.

Edited by jww
  • Like 2