Companions saying no to movement during combat

Has anyone experienced companions saying "no" to moving in certain areas during combat?  I had this happen during the katrenn bounty  and wondered is it just technical i.e. they didn't have space to move there ( which it didn't seem like that) or some type of enemy spell or aura  or was some type of morale check? and they didn't want to move because I was getting smashed by the enemies.

And I mean multiple companions actually spoke out and say  "No" to moving certain areas during combat and It wouldn't let me move them forward but I could move them backwards.  It was kinda of cool (and kinda frustrating) as it seems they may have minds of their own but I more likely thought it was  technical.  I googled and could find anything on this topic.

The only times I can think of when companions don't move is if they are immobilized, which unless you check their status popup window, is not visible. If you order them to go somethwere they can't (blocked by enemies) they will end up doing something stupid, like running around getting hit by every possible enemy engagement. 

thanks all-  they weren't immobilized because I could still move them--  they must have been blocked-  it was just funny because of what they said and the enemies we were facing -  seemed about right.

Another question-  is there a counter to Arcane Damper besides waiting it out or suppress afflictions-