What are the highest single target melee DPS builds that still retain some survivability? (That is, I do not want pure glass cannons that dies every other encounter without extreme micro-management.)

In particular, I wonder what would do more:

Ranger/Paladin combination that leverages high crits from insane accuracy OR Rogue/Paladin combination that does the usual Sneak Attack and other roguish things.

Edited by Lampros

Fighter/Monk gets my vote.

Pure Monk is also probably very good.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What are the highest single target melee DPS builds that still retain some survivability? (That is, I do not want pure glass cannons that dies every other encounter without extreme micro-management.)

Ranger/Paladin combination that leverages high crits from insane accuracy OR Rogue/Paladin combination that does the usual Sneak Attack and other roguish things.

Again, Rogue is a damage dealer. Ranger is a hybrid. Clearly Rogue will do a lot more damage.

As for Fighter vs Paladin, my vote goes to Fighter. Intuitive stance provides hit-to-crit conversion. Cleaving Stance provides free attacks whenever you down an enemy. Clear Out is a cool aoe move. With Unbending you just don't die.

Paladins provide more party support though.

• Like 1

Again, Rogue is a damage dealer. Ranger is a hybrid. Clearly Rogue will do a lot more damage.

As for Fighter vs Paladin, my vote goes to Fighter. Intuitive stance provides hit-to-crit conversion. Cleaving Stance provides free attacks whenever you down an enemy. Clear Out is a cool aoe move. With Unbending you just don't die.

I see. I saw the Ranger update skills, and I thought 20 percent accuracy and 20 percent damage would change the melee DPS tiers, but then Deathblows alone give you 50 percent for the Rogue - which is almost like a perma crit (what is crit damage boost anyways? - 50 percent?).

Would Barbarian/Rogue do more than Fighter/Rogue? But perhaps a bit squishy now?

I see. I saw the Ranger update skills, and I thought 20 percent accuracy and 20 percent damage would change the melee DPS tiers, but then Deathblows alone give you 50 percent for the Rogue - which is almost like a perma crit (what is crit damage boost anyways? - 50 percent?).

Would Barbarian/Rogue do more than Fighter/Rogue? But perhaps a bit squishy now?

Base crit damage bonus is only +25%.

In general Barb/Rogue is theoretically capable of higher dps then a fighter/rogue, yes.

In practice I think a fighter/rogue usually has much better chances being surrounded by enemies, triggering streetfighter bonuses, attacking everyone and surviving. Particularly after getting Unbending. My swashbuckler with 3 Resolve and a two-hander estoc charges in the middle of the enemies and takes all the heat all the time. 

Also barb/rogue blooms much later. A fighter/rogue is excellent from start to finish.

• Like 1

Base crit damage bonus is only +25%.

In general Barb/Rogue is theoretically capable of higher dps then a fighter/rogue, yes.

In practice I think a fighter/rogue usually has much better chances being surrounded by enemies, triggering streetfighter bonuses, attacking everyone and surviving. Particularly after getting Unbending. My swashbuckler with 3 Resolve and a two-hander estoc charges in the middle of the enemies and takes all the heat all the time. 

Also barb/rogue blooms much later. A fighter/rogue is excellent from start to finish.

Thanks. Yeah, last night I created Gimli as a Fighter/Barbarian, and I was discouraged by the low deflection - which gets worse with Frenzy. I assume the initial survivability will be even worse as Barbarian/Rogue, since I will have even lower deflection/HPs and no Constant Recovery.

Slash? Estocs do pierce dmg. :)

Oops. But that's worse, because there are more pierce-immunes :(

Actually they are relatively rare.... You meet some skellies sometimes, but that's about it. Not a problem to switch to a blunt then. Never had any issues with immune enemies.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

Then swap to a crush weapon...LOL.  The "penalty" is not that significant IMHO.  Or don't do devoted and have a lot of weapon choices.

I hate micro-management! ;) And Devoted is kind of useful for PotD, no? :)

Actually they are relatively rare.... You meet some skellies sometimes, but that's about it. Not a problem to switch to a blunt then. Never had any issues with immune enemies.

Micro-management is my enemy once again ;)