Hi, new to the forums, but I'm far from new to RPGs of this sort. I decided to wait to buy this game until most of the DLC had been released, but am now looking to start today and want to make sure my build for my Watcher will be viable long-term. I beat Pillars of Eternity one on POTD, so I'm aware of how badly a bad build can mess up a game--so! I am torn between these two builds at the moment:

1. From sin tee's "Godfist" build on youtube:

Wood Elf, Ixamitl

Nalpazca

• 10 Might
  • 10 Constitution
  • 15 Dexterity
  • 19 Perception
  • 5 Intellect
  • 19 Resolve

2. From RPG Division's Monk DPS

Human, Meadow Folk

Shattered Pillar

• Max Might
  • 10 Constitution
  • Max Dex
  • Max Perception
  • 3 Intellect
  • 10 Resolve

My Variation: I was thinking I should probably keep int at 10 (I don't like dumping stats in POE games...) for this build for the sake of duration of effects and I planned on going a different race, probably Wood Elf but I'm open to suggestions. 

Planned Party Composition: Xoti-Priest, Eder-Swashbuckler, Pallagina-Healing Wall Build (Pally/Chanter), Aloth-Pure Wizard, MC-Monk-??

It's been a while since either of these builds were updated and there have been a lot of updates, so I'm essentially asking if these builds are still viable and what other pure monk builds one would recommend. I read some suggestions on here (lurking) that suggested to not dump stats for POTD, so I'm already ready to adjust these to my liking. I'm open to multiclass suggestions, but want to hear some input. I was curious if there was any fun interplay between cipher and monk, but am not sure I want to try it at the moment. This play through is intended to be stretched out until the final DLC comes out, so I'm open to a challenging but rewarding build.Thank you!

• Like 2

One thing to know about Shattered Pillar - in addition to the halved wound limit, it will now only generate wounds using auto-attacks - not abilities (a deal breaker imo). I'd agree with your instinct not to use INT as a dump stat (if anything, you can lower resolve). 10 is about right since you'll be able to benefit from +10 INT with duality of mortal presence to get longer buff/affliction durations (if you're playing melee, you'll want swift strikes/flurry and stunning surge to last as long as possible). 

It's a strong class on its own, but it really synergizes well with other martial classes if you're willing to try a multi. Otherwise, Helwalkers are worth a look for their hard-to-beat might bonus :)

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 2

Monk is a great multiclass option for every caster and Cipher is not different. Monk Intelligence (from Duality of Mortal Presence) will provide huge aoe sizes and long effect durations (including stuff like Cipher Ascendant Ascension), Thunderous Blows will help penetrate, Flurry will increase your action speed and provide a melee lightning lash (more Focus from melee), Turning Wheel will add extra fire lash, Helwalker will provide a large might boost if you go that way.

And in general a monk will make gathering Focus much easier and faster. Stunning Blows are a nice Full Attack, which can stun in an aoe if you use a blunderbuss mortar weapon (or two) plus generate a lot of Focus.

Blade Turning can be a pretty awesome defense/offense, when your under heavy melee pressure.

But, you wrote you prefer a pure monk for now. I understand Shattered Pillar is not very good nowadays. Better go Nalpazca in this case.

• Like 2

Well, Monk looked fun to play and sounded like a good melee dps option with some nice CC. I haven't played a monk type since Grimgnaw in Neverwinter Nights (granted, I've played that game a lot) and am open to any monk-like build--I just want to do the most reliable dps I can while also being able to survive POTD, and was looking to play something that reminded me of a monk from Neverwinter Nights, I like the idea of using fists. I'm glad I asked about Shattered Pillars because I wasn't aware they'd been nerfed, so thanks for helping me eliminate that option. Is the first build still somewhat viable (with my tweaks to the int), or is the idea of a fist-based monk cipher something worth spending some time figuring out?

I think the first build works. Although I'm not sure why so much Resolve? It's not like this is a Sacred Immolation self-burning Paladin build...

It's better to don a bit heavier armor sometimes and have higher other stats IMO.

Cipher / Monk is much more versatile, therefore more fun to play - for me.

But you do sacrifice quite a bit by multiclassing a monk - some fist accuracy & damage scaling, the crazy high level monk abilities.

Also Ascendant / Helwalker feels safer at range or medium distance or at enemy flanks/rears, not necessary at the frontline. It's possible to build a purely melee tankish one, of course, but some sacrifices need to be made. Perhaps a Soulblade Cipher would be better then.

• Like 1

I was curious about the resolve myself, I think this particular build was intended for solo--which I'm not doing--so I assume I can lower it somewhat. How much could I lower it and still be safe, and where should I move what I take out of there?  I'd already planned to bring the int up to 10 (that brings the resolve to 14), could I go lower and be okay? It's been a while since POE, heheh. 

However, I would still be interested to see a cipher/monk build if you or anyone had one as I played a cipher in POE, I couldn't find one in my admittedly brief search for that build. 

Well, personally I tend to dump Resolve all the way. But those are offtanks/flankers/ranged characters. Or actual tanks, but then for example Fighters with Unbending, who are very tough to kill anyway.

Yeah, I'm currently playing an Ascendant Cipher / Helwalker Monk and having great fun. It was a bit rough early on, Helwalker does make you quite squishy.

So it made a lot of sense to mostly stay ranged, out of harm's way. Was sometimes KO, mostly during ship battles - if I forgot to don heavy armor.

Dual aoe mortar blunderbusses are awesome with Stunning Blow btw. - mass aoe Stun.

But after level 10 or so it has been smooth sailing so far and I even often offtank/melee flank enemies. Now level 15.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

Well, personally I tend to dump Resolve all the way. But those are offtanks/flankers/ranged characters. Or actual tanks, but then for example Fighters with Unbending, who are very tough to kill anyway.

Yeah, I'm currently playing an Ascendant Cipher / Helwalker Monk and having great fun. It was a bit rough early on, Helwalker does make you quite squishy.

So it made a lot of sense to mostly stay ranged, out of harm's way. Was sometimes KO, mostly during ship battles - if I forgot to don heavy armor.

Dual aoe mortar blunderbusses are awesome with Stunning Blow btw. - mass aoe Stun.

But after level 10 or so it has been smooth sailing so far and I even often offtank/melee flank enemies. Now level 15.

What ranged weapons do you tend to go for at the start?

Whatever works really. Pistol with modal if I can hit well, arquebus with modal to hit better. After Port Maje you recruit Serafen and get his blunderbuss Hand Mortar. Directly after Port Maje I do Fort Deadlight, where he initiates his quest, in which you get the other one, Fire in the Hole and which I prioritize. In Neketaka Gullet Delvers Row I steal Red Hand which is my go to ranged weapon for single targets / backline enemies.

I may play a bit with Frostseeker bow after an encounter near Neketaka, but it's not optimal IMO.

Before getting the other BB, you may also steal the pistol from the gunsmith shop in Brass Citadel in Neketaka.

When I have gained some levels and Mechanics, I sail to Crookspur to steal the Grave Calling saber and the Patinated Plate. I teach my Pallegina chanter summoning skeletons to feed the saber for party friendly, focus generating paralyzing chillfogs...

Around that time I also do the Cornet Call quest for the Kitchen Stove and its Thunderous Report instant focus fill.

Edited by Haplok

Awesome, thanks for the input. I think I'll be going with a variation on the first build for now and see how it plays with  my planned team--definitely going to name my monk Grimgnaw though, hehe. Monk/cipher sounds like it could be interesting, I think I'll play around with some specs before I dive in full-fledged.