Confused by Level Scaling. It makes everything multiple levels above me?

Had a real headache from one of the ambush battles where I'm jumped by people walking from location to location that was basically unwinnable for me. A bunch of enemies with 3+ skulls across the board. Though it might be because I was on Veteran so lowered to Classic, still tons of skulls, then finally turned off level scaling completely and the skulls disappeared.

Is that what its intended to do? I figured it was meant to bring lower level content up to your level, not your level +5 or whatever? That's not really clear from the tooltip.

Level scaling will increase/decrease an enemy's base level by a maximum of 4. If you have upward and downward scaling enabled, a level 12 enemy will scale down to a minimum of 8 for a level 1 party and up to a maximum of 16 for a level 20 party. 

So it depends on (1) your level, (2) the base level of the encounter, and (3) what kind of scaling you have enabled. Afaik, the ambush battles are leveled, so the fact that you got an unavoidable and unwinnable encounter doesn't seem normal (at least not from my experience). Was this a travel event in Neketaka? What level were you?

Travel in Neketaka. It was for the "Sealed Fate" quest on the return to Queen's Berth. I was level 6 or 7.

I feel like something is busted with my game:

If I had level scaling on then the encounter was a combination of 3 skulls or red skulls, so 3+ levels.

If I turned off "Only Scale Upwards" it was the exact same.

If I disabled level scaling entirely, then it was equal level to me.

A similar thing happens with one of he bounties. If I have level scaling on, even with Only Up disabled, then everything in the fight is red skulls. If I disable scaling, then they're mostly silver except for the named target.

Edited by Grak500