Request: An option to slow down experiance gain

Both games have an abundant of experience to be gained (sometimes too easily, like PoE bounty quests).

I'd love the ability to toggle experience gain down as part of the difficulty setting. Something for the more completionist players, who reach max level mid-game in.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

✔ Certified Bat Food

Would also prefer a slider rather than a challenge so that mods/blessings can be optioned in.

I actually like playing through a portion of the game at max level and the xp gain felt about right for the base content, but at this point a completionist playthrough will have you spending the last tenth of the optional content, Ukaizo, and all three DLCs at level 20. By the end of S/S/S it already starts to feel kind of old.

• Like 1

If you want it right now, on my Deadly Deadfire mod page on the nexus there's an optional file in the files section that only slows down experience gain without touching anything else.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/43?tab=description

Also available on the steam workshop:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1528042878

Edited by CarrO
  • Like 5

Normally I don't go for this kind of thing, but Obsidian is terrible at balancing exp gains. In RPGs, experience is kinda the main indicator of progression for your character, so when I hit cap, I lose a lot of drive to keep playing past a certain point. In PoE1, even with the expansion, I regularly hit cap before even hitting chapter 3. Deadfire has it even worse, giving us tons of exp and now there are confrimed 3 expanions, two of which do nothing to raise the exp cap. So you are spending hours upon hours of conent maxed out. I'm all for reducing exp gain for a better sense of progression.

Normally I don't go for this kind of thing, but Obsidian is terrible at balancing exp gains. In RPGs, experience is kinda the main indicator of progression for your character, so when I hit cap, I lose a lot of drive to keep playing past a certain point. In PoE1, even with the expansion, I regularly hit cap before even hitting chapter 3. Deadfire has it even worse, giving us tons of exp and now there are confrimed 3 expanions, two of which do nothing to raise the exp cap. So you are spending hours upon hours of conent maxed out. I'm all for reducing exp gain for a better sense of progression.

Totally with you on the progression and lost of drive.

Though for me it's kinda of an indication how good a game is. If I can keep going despite reaching max level and best equipment, it must mean the story or gameplay are really good. Had no problem finishing PoE :)

Another option, is on my next playthrough, to go full on roleplay and skip content as fitting my character.

✔ Certified Bat Food

Another option, is on my next playthrough, to go full on roleplay and skip content as fitting my character.

One thing I've been doing on my current playthrough was to alternate party members a lot more than what I usually do, I gave equal time to all companions and sidekicks, also always using the recommended ones for the current quest. Obviously the Watcher still got high level quickly, but the evolution of companions was really slowed and kept things interesting much longer. Item progression as well, as I now have to equip 14 characters (I do not swap equipement).

And varied parties meant varied ways of solving problems/winning fights.

I also only brought my watcher when turning in bounties, to diminish the global XP gain.

• Like 1

Heck, yes, as I just stated in another thread, it appears that I'm getting huge amounts of xp all the time and leveling up really fast. I was just thinking (and just wrote elsewhere) that either I'm going to reach level cap early on, or the game is a lot shorter than I think it should be.

Incidentally, PoE also totally sucked on this front. I would say this was the point where Obsidian did the poorest job.

• Like 1

I think a slider would be a good addition to the game options. Preferably one that you can change in game. But I don't have a problem with gaining XP too quickly bc I don't level up when I can. No one forces you to level up. E.g., if you want to do 50% gain, don't level up to level 2 until you have 2000 XP., don't level up to 3 until you have 6000 XP, etc. 

I don't level up until it's too hard (i.e., not fun) to do what I want to do, whether that's combat, sneaking, or whatever. My goal is 50%. I usually do better than that but sometimes I level up before I have twice the required XP. It's a bit of a pain but I like the flexibility and I never have to worry about leveling too quickly. 

• Like 2