It takes away the main disadvantage of being a melee: Inability to immediately engage your enemies outside the melee range. Further, it also stuns! Both of these things make me nostalgic about my World of War Craft days as a PvP Warrior.

Anyways, is there another melee class with a Charge-like ability that can close the gap instantly and stun or daze or do anything to temporarily immobilize? Having exploited it so much in my first run, I cannot imagine playing another melee class without a Charge-like ability ;)

Monks have a charge ability that does a full attack afterwards,  Barbarians have a leap and a sprint activation that knocks people back,  The Field Rakhan boots has a 1/encounter old fighter charge that works with even ranged weapons, Rogues and rangers also have a mobility move that you can use to close the distance.

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 1

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

Barbarian leap dazes enemies around the landing zone, which is nice. Rangers and rogues have very cheap skills with no recovery. The rogue escape is cool in that it temporarily gives a huge deflection boost, while Ranger gets the quick inspiration and can get upgrade which provides a free ranged attack at random enemy.

• Like 1

Monks have a charge ability that does a full attack afterwards,  Barbarians have a leap and a sprint activation that knocks people back,  The Field Rakhan boots has a 1/encounter old fighter charge that works with even ranged weapons, Rogues and rangers also have a mobility move that you can use to close the distance.

Rogue and Ranger moves do not actually attack your enemies like Charge does, no?

I have to test the Barbarian moves though - thanks!

Barbarian leap dazes enemies around the landing zone, which is nice. Rangers and rogues have very cheap skills with no recovery. The rogue escape is cool in that it temporarily gives a huge deflection boost, while Ranger gets the quick inspiration and can get upgrade which provides a free ranged attack at random enemy.

So as I expected, the Ranger one does not close the distance and melee attacks the enemy?

Rogue and Ranger moves do not actually attack your enemies like Charge does, no?

So as I expected, the Ranger one does not close the distance and melee attacks the enemy?

The ranger ability can attack the enemy if you upgrade it, but I strongly do not recommend upgrading it since it is static damage despite needing a ranged weapon.  The rogue, ranger, and barbarian mobility moves are ground targeted so in that sense you can "close" the distance if you wish to or run away with it.

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 1

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

The ranger ability can attack the enemy if you upgrade it, but I strongly do not recommend upgrading it since it is static damage despite needing a ranged weapon.  The rogue, ranger, and barbarian mobility moves are ground targeted so in that sense you can "close" the distance if you wish to or run away with it.

Ah, so you cannot really script it then but must manually control it? Then I am not as interested, since I do almost no manual control in combat except when I need to use consumables or heal/BDD/etc to save a life.

The Field Rakhan boots has a 1/encounter old fighter charge that works with even ranged weapons

***Had

Some dev realised that and nerfed it to the currrent version of chage, even though the change wasn't reported in the patch notes. 

RIP shiny overpowered boots.

• Like 1

Monks have a charge ability that does a full attack afterwards, Barbarians have a leap and a sprint activation that knocks people back, The Field Rakhan boots has a 1/encounter old fighter charge that works with even ranged weapons, Rogues and rangers also have a mobility move that you can use to close the distance.

The ranger ability can attack the enemy if you upgrade it, but I strongly do not recommend upgrading it since it is static damage despite needing a ranged weapon. The rogue, ranger, and barbarian mobility moves are ground targeted so in that sense you can "close" the distance if you wish to or run away with it.

Ah, so you cannot really script it then but must manually control it? Then I am not as interested, since I do almost no manual control in combat except when I need to use consumables or heal/BDD/etc to save a life.

I'm guessing you can script it somehow. Enemy rogues Escape all the time (it's also cheap resource wise). But I wouldn't know how. I'm a micromanagement guy.

Charge was cool, at he did a full attack at every enemy you charged through. But no, obsidian had do nerf that :(

Because it was encounter-breaking, especially when multiclassed with a monk or rogue. I wouldn't mind if it did a full attack against the target enemy the way flagellant's path does, though...

• Like 1

Barbarian Leap, much like Rogue Escape or Ranger Evasive Roll, can be used out-of-combat to cheese maps with elevation elements, employ stealth shenanigans, circumvent slog zones and traps, etc. It's just hilarious because it has infinitely more yelling involved. Combat-wise, it's not as good as other class gap-closers (both in cost, recovery time, and ability to turn the tide of battle by itself), and its upgrades aren't that good when you consider the drop in accuracy due to how acquiring abilities at higher power levels work. Best to keep looking at Fighter, Monk, Ranger, and Rogue for min-maxing gap-closers in combat.

Edited by UltimaLuminaire
  • Like 1

Charge was cool, at he did a full attack at every enemy you charged through. But no, obsidian had do nerf that :(

Because it was encounter-breaking, especially when multiclassed with a monk or rogue. I wouldn't mind if it did a full attack against the target enemy the way flagellant's path does, though...

Why? Because of that nerf, your fighter has not really a AoE attack, that deals good amount of damage. They should have nerfed charge OR mob stance, not both. Clear out is only a primary attack and clear sweep is not obtainable for MC characters.

Charge in its initial release version was way too powerful: either too much dmg or too cheap. Then it got "nerfed" into an AoE stun that did no hit roll (=always hit => guaranteed stun) which in my opinion was even better and retained its costs - but people immediately were complaining about the nerf bat. That's an example which shows you why you shouldn't take most immediate nerf complaints serious.

Now it's an AoE stun with hit roll for reasonable costs. I think it's in a good place. It's cheap enough to use it as an occasional mobility tool to interrupt dangerous enemies. It's not a no brainer anymore like it used to be. Which in my bool is a good thing. No brainers are boring most of the time.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Barbarian Leap, much like Rogue Escape or Ranger Evasive Roll, can be used out-of-combat to cheese maps with elevation elements, employ stealth shenanigans, circumvent slog zones and traps, etc. It's just hilarious because it has infinitely more yelling involved. Combat-wise, it's not as good as other class gap-closers (both in cost, recovery time, and ability to turn the tide of battle by itself), and its upgrades aren't that good when you consider the drop in accuracy due to how acquiring abilities at higher power levels work. Best to keep looking at Fighter, Monk, Ranger, and Rogue for min-maxing gap-closers in combat.

Leap is a bread and butter ability on my Berserker Warlock. After the buffs are nice and stacked, and my beefier characters positioned, I'll leap into the center of a group and follow it with Torrent of Flame or Death Ring. It's extra spicy during boarding battles.

Sure, but keep in mind Leap has significant recovery at the end of it unless used from stealth. You could do the same thing with Ranger's Evasive Roll but with 0 recovery and only 1 resource cost. Leap will get the job done, but if you're only looking at the best of the best, then it is balanced enough that it can't be.

• Like 1

Sure, but keep in mind Leap has significant recovery at the end of it unless used from stealth. You could do the same thing with Ranger's Evasive Roll but with 0 recovery and only 1 resource cost. Leap will get the job done, but if you're only looking at the best of the best, then it is balanced enough that it can't be.

Yeah, the cost is prohibitive. I treat it as a per-encounter ability.

Ranger's Evasive Roll is ranged weapon-only, no?

Evasive Fire upgrade requires a ranged weapon to fire the free, static shot, yes.

But you don't need one to use the mobility ability or gain the Quick Dex bonus. Just don't upgrade the ability if you don't plan for ranged (or find the single random static attack too weak to bother, as I did). You'll save 1 ability point that way.

• Like 2

Evasive Fire upgrade requires a ranged weapon to fire the free, static shot, yes.

But you don't need one to use the mobility ability or gain the Quick Dex bonus. Just don't upgrade the ability if you don't plan for ranged (or find the single random static attack too weak to bother, as I did). You'll save 1 ability point that way.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

But the ability un-upgraded can be used as an "approach" move for melee Rangers?

You can use it to improve dps on a melee ranger. Faster movement = less time for positioning = more time for hitting stuff.

Also good as emergency exit of course. The range is great.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods