• 2 weeks later...

Best thing about the single class monk with dual mortars is Empowered Strikes - and that the AoE hit rolls all trigger a Resonant Touch. So even if you don't use Avenging Storm a group of enemies will have tons of stacks of Resonant Touch after an attack - you then just stomp on the ground and they all fall apart.

I will do a quick playthrough with this guy and maybe write a build. It's so much fun to test, jeez (vid without Avenging Storm or Empower):

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

If you wonder why they all get stunnend: I use the Stalking Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak that stuns and does more dmg from stealth. But it also works from invisibility. Whispers of the Wind turns you invisible... great synergy.

And here with Empower (adds +1 jump for every 2 PL as well as +100 ACC and +100 PEN with Empowered Strikes:

hyleon_epowers.gif?dl=1

And finally with Avenging Storm (no Empower):

hyleon_shocks.gif?dl=1

As you can see Avenging Storm isn't THAT crucial to the build. It helps of course... But I guess most enemies that come in groups don't have enough HP to really feel the difference. I forgot Lightning Strikes in this case by the way. And it's always best to use Whispers of the Wind with 10 Wounds so that 5 are left for Turning Wheel.

I use those gif's as a remedy for my restartitis for my current play-through. =)

• Like 1

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

Most certainly not the most optimal dual gun build ever, but I've been having fun with a Bleak Walker Palladin / Vanilla Barbarian pistol build. Flames of Devotion + Fury is just a very potent early set-up. 

No doubt that Blunderbuss would be better, but pistols allow you to engage from a comfortable distance while quoting Dirty Harry & naming your character Wessen Smith. 

Best thing about the single class monk with dual mortars is Empowered Strikes - and that the AoE hit rolls all trigger a Resonant Touch. So even if you don't use Avenging Storm a group of enemies will have tons of stacks of Resonant Touch after an attack - you then just stomp on the ground and they all fall apart.

I will do a quick playthrough with this guy and maybe write a build. It's so much fun to test, jeez (vid without Avenging Storm or Empower):

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

If you wonder why they all get stunnend: I use the Stalking Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak that stuns and does more dmg from stealth. But it also works from invisibility. Whispers of the Wind turns you invisible... great synergy.

And here with Empower (adds +1 jump for every 2 PL as well as +100 ACC and +100 PEN with Empowered Strikes:

hyleon_epowers.gif?dl=1

And finally with Avenging Storm (no Empower):

hyleon_shocks.gif?dl=1

As you can see Avenging Storm isn't THAT crucial to the build. It helps of course... But I guess most enemies that come in groups don't have enough HP to really feel the difference. I forgot Lightning Strikes in this case by the way. And it's always best to use Whispers of the Wind with 10 Wounds so that 5 are left for Turning Wheel.

I use those gif's as a remedy for my restartitis for my current play-through. =)

Salvation by gif's at least! Managed to beat the game first time thanks to those. Took me only 422 hours. =)

So, as a contender for "Ideal dual gun build (PotD)" my vote goes for SC dual mortars helwalker monk. Bad things start to happen to groups of mobs after you get the Stunning Surge. After you get Whispers of the Wind and Resonant Touch they are all doomed (and you can launch yourself from a companion if the boss fails to bring buddies to the fight).

• Like 1

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

Hi all,

After many months since I finished my first playthrough I decided to stop and wait for a few more DLCs to come out before starting again.

I read the thread and saw many useful tips but I am still a bit confused.

My goal is to run a dual pistol build. I have just started with a simple Devoted/Ghostheart combo but it feels... underwhelming? I recall seeing a long time ago a video on youtube of a Votary build that seemed fun as it was literally blowing targets with dual pistols, but maybe that build might be obsolete now after all these patches...

Any suggestion? Should I go pure Monk? I like the idea of a flashy dual pistol build.

SC Monk is truly great with dual mortars; with pistols: not so much.

A nice thing with dual pistol is using the modal and combine it with some nice ACC bonuses - for example with a Paladin/Ranger, a Priest/Ranger, Wizard/Ranger...

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

SC Monk is truly great with dual mortars; with pistols: not so much.

A nice thing with dual pistol is using the modal and combine it with some nice ACC bonuses - for example with a Paladin/Ranger, a Priest/Ranger, Wizard/Ranger...

Dual Pistol Wizard/Ranger? Whoa, never thought about that. Evoker/GhostHeart maybe?

Is Ranger+Another class the way to go for dual pistols then?

• 4 weeks later...

I was actually looking at the guns in my inventory recently because I was hoping to make Ydwin a dual pistol wielder instead of frostseeker.  But it just seems like using The red hand will always be better than Pistols because of Maia's armor.  Am I wrong?  What are some good early pistol builds?

I was thinking of making a separate thread to discuss this and I might still, but for now the question seems on topic here.

• Like 1

Any updates or suggestions now that 4.0 is out? I have 2 weeks off and was thinking of building my main around dual blunders monk.

Still awesome :)

Can you get both of the hand mortars in a Magran's fires solo playthrough? This sounds pretty fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the most fun build I've tried on this board. Clustered enemies simply explode. Thanks as always, Boeroer.

Do you have the specifics on your build, interested to know how you put it all together as I'm working on one now!

I'm just following what Boeroer wrote: no melee talents, maximize INT, and get the dual blunderbusses (plus upgrades) ASAP. For me, Enduring Dance is key, always use it to spam Whispers of the Wind, Dichotomous Soul (to tank) and your ranged fists.

The rest is up to you.

Flagellant's Path can be used as well. It might seem like a melee ability - but it's not. It works perfectly well with guns because it has its owns recovery but omits the reload. So you can do like Stunning Surge --> Flagellanth's Path into the crowd (triggers Full mortar attack on target). This is like having a free "skip recovery after shot" abiliy: supergood (until Whispers comes around). It just drains your Mortification quickly, so watch out. :)

Edited by Boeroer

• 4 weeks later...

At lvl 19+ yes. Before that it's a bit of a tedium. Better take single class Streetfighter. He's equally good with Vanishing Strikes (and also Gambit) with mortars but a lot more effective with those weapons than an Assassin on the way to lvl 19+.

Vanishing Strikes doesn't do as much damage as Whispers of the Wind, but the constant (long lasting) invisibility makes you untouchable while preparing your next devastating shot. Gambit can be used a lot of times because full refund is likely.