Hello, I am a little way in on a dual blunderbuss build which seems okay, going devoted/ranger but I was wondering if there was something better?

What build can I really make a powerful boom stick?

While ranger has a reload passive I feel like it's more suited towards pistol.

imo the best dual gun build is helwalker/streetfighter. it has the best dps of any gun build I played. streetfighter to reduce recovery when using a blunderbuss like fire in the hole or xefa's (blunderbuss modal on) and scordeo's trophy, thundercrack pistol or a second blunderbuss in the second hand also with pistol modal on if you use a pistol as a second weapon.. anyways try it and you'll be amazed at the damage output nothing else comes close when using guns. 

To get around pierce immune creatures fire in the hole does slash damage not just pierce and you can use eccea's arcane blaster instead of thundercrack in the second hand because eccea's does raw. 

• Like 2

If you can wait a bit then single class Barbarian with dual hand mortars is one of the best gun options. Heart of Fury + dual mortars turns most enemy groups into red mist. But of course: takes a while to get there. But if you take Frenzy + Bloodlust you can do nice dps even before that.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

imo the best dual gun build is helwalker/streetfighter. it has the best dps of any gun build I played. streetfighter to reduce recovery when using a blunderbuss like fire in the hole or xefa's (blunderbuss modal on) and scordeo's trophy, thundercrack pistol or a second blunderbuss in the second hand also with pistol modal on if you use a pistol as a second weapon.. anyways try it and you'll be amazed at the damage output nothing else comes close when using guns. 

To get around pierce immune creatures fire in the hole does slash damage not just pierce and you can use eccea's arcane blaster instead of thundercrack in the second hand because eccea's does raw. 

This one's great, allthough i vote Nalpacza.

brute (berserker/devoted) with pistoles is also really nice if you like to keep your backline a little further off (but DPS-wise less than above).

How is this build? I´m new to game and since about 3-4 hours on character creaton screen and no clue :)

How is this build? I´m new to game and since about 3-4 hours on character creaton screen and no clue :)

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102507-class-build-the-howitzer/

this except take streetfighter rogue subclass and the blunderbuss proficiency (do not take assassin take streetfighter!). Also in monk you can take either nalpazca or helwalker. Activaye modal on blunderbuss, dual wield two of them or pistol+blunderbuss and profit. 

• Like 1

this except take streetfighter rogue subclass and the blunderbuss proficiency (do not take assassin take streetfighter!). Also in monk you can take either nalpazca or helwalker. Activaye modal on blunderbuss, dual wield two of them or pistol+blunderbuss and profit. 

There is "One handed styl" in this build, should i take "Two weapon style" ?

your choice. two-weapon is probably better dps. one handed is good as you will get more crits from stunning surge monk ability to use it slightly more often on the aoe blunderbuss (or multihit blunderbuss). I would go for two-weapon though-it has better burst and damge especially in a party.

• Like 2

I'll second the opinion that its VERY good.

But a Streetfighter / Sharpshooter Ranger is a solid alternative IMO. 

A build similar to this:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103968-class-build-the-deep-leap-deceiving-and-evading-aoe-boooom-scout/

only go Streetfighter / Sharpshooter and dual wield blunderbusses. I'd also change the ability order a bit and for party play take Confounding Blind rather then Gouging Strike. Get the Devastating Blow sooner and also add Binding/Thorny Roots.

Primary reason: Driving Flight bouncing ranged attacks. The damage is greatly reduced, but that's still a lot of extra damage, in aoe in case of mortars. Also Powder burns are triggered multiple times and add up to a significant amount against mobs at later levels.

Secondary reason: Unparalleled single target accuracy - useful for tough enemies/bosses. Also leads to more crits.

Tertiary reason: Extra meatshield / body wall / distraction.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

For those who don't believe that a single barb can be the perfect gun user I'll leave this comment from another thread:

For those who wonder about @Boeroer's HoF + Dual Mortars + Avenging Storm combo, I did some quick test and make a short video for it, you will understand why I call it nuclear power hahaha XD. My PC crashed the first time I tried it, sorry for the lag but I think it is too much for my CPU...

https://youtu.be/iUGg_h6WWDg

:lol:

Don't use this when confused! If you can get rid of Confusion then Berserker is the best subclass because of Tenacious giving you +2 PEN.

But Streetfighter/Sharpshooter is really great as well and starts being powerful right after char creation. Try to max INT, wear Aloth's armor and two Overseeing rings if you want max AoE. For monks it's easier because of Duality. Scouts have to invest a bit more attribute points and/or item properties in order to achieve a good AoE size. Enemies are not always clustered together. Arterial Strike is nice because you get extra PEN and the enemies you hit from stealth want to run around in order to get you. Follow up with Toxic Strike if the enemies have big health pools or

Confounding Blind if the enemies are hard to hit.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

For those who don't believe that a single barb can be the perfect gun user I'll leave this comment from another thread:

For those who wonder about @Boeroer's HoF + Dual Mortars + Avenging Storm combo, I did some quick test and make a short video for it, you will understand why I call it nuclear power hahaha XD. My PC crashed the first time I tried it, sorry for the lag but I think it is too much for my CPU...

Don't use this when confused! If you can get rid of Confusion then Berserker is the best subclass because of Tenacious giving you +2 PEN.

But Streetfighter/Sharpshooter is really great as well and starts being powerful right after char creation. Try to max INT, wear Aloth's armor and two Overseeing rings if you want max AoE. For monks it's easier because of Duality. Scouts have to invest a bit more attribute points and/or item properties in order to achieve a good AoE size. Enemies are not always clustered together. Arterial Strike is nice because you get extra PEN and the enemies you hit from stealth want to run around in order to get you. Follow up with Toxic Strike if the enemies have big health pools or

Thats look really like Nuke bomb  :w00t:

But "as you told" its better for me to take a Class thats give me enough damage from begin, because its my first run. But i´ll keep this Build in my mind for another runs.

your choice. two-weapon is probably better dps. one handed is good as you will get more crits from stunning surge monk ability to use it slightly more often on the aoe blunderbuss (or multihit blunderbuss). I would go for two-weapon though-it has better burst and damge especially in a party.

I do with Blundersbuss firendly fire, its any possiblty to stop this? Or how should i play it exactly?

Friendly fire concerns Powder Burns modal. Which you want to trigger Streetfighter bonuses and for extra damage. Try to mostly only catch your tank in the blast. It doesn't have great penetration and his defenses and hp will rise, so eventually it will only tickle him.

• Like 1

On that build I assume you would use devil of caroc for this? What about just having devoted/berserker for the recovery with armor? Is heart of fury that much more powerful than having devoted multi?

Edited by Moritsuna

Is heart of fury that much more powerful than having devoted multi?

Did you watch the video? :lol:

In this case it is. The combination of (Powder Burns AoE+Mortar AoE)*HoF AoE which generates so many hit rolls which will all trigger Avenging Storm is what makes this combo so powerful. Just grab the Ring of the Marksman and use a Berseker and PEN issues will not occur. In case of Berseker you would like to use Caroc's Breastplate or switch to Modwyr (and back to guns) once you want to cast Frenzy. Else you would kill yourself. ;) I mean - if you take Vengeful defeat this can also work very well - you'd add another HoF on knockout and most like kill everthing around. But most people don't like to go down at all, so...

You can always switch to dual Battle Axes for HoF to apply Bleeding Cuts x2 on all enemies in range - for example if you meet pierce-immune foes. Or use Watershaper's Focus or Frostseeker in that case if you want stick to ranged weapons.

Multiclass is overrated. I mean it's great of course, but people think it's better than single classes in general which is not the case. For example every offensive ability scales its base dmg with Power Level: +5% base dmg per PL. That's a mulipicative dmg boost.

Compare Flames of Devotion on a lvl 20 SC Paladin with Prestige (10 PL) with FoD from a lvl 20 multi Paladin (7 PL) and you can see the difference if you examine the dmg roll in the combat log. Or do the same with a SC Rogue where it's even more visible because his additive dmg bonuses combine nicely with the higehr base dmg. Carnage also scales with PL by the way - here it doesn't matter though because ranged weapons don't trigger it.

This is a "hidden" bonus of martial Single Classes which comes on top of the other advantages that single class chars have over multiclass chars (earlier access to high PL tiers, exclusive access to PL 8 and 9 abilites). There fore I don't think that Devoted/something is especially powerful.

In this case: what could a Berseker/Devoted provide for a ranged build which would outweigh the power of HoF with mortars?

I didn't test it but I guess that SC Monk with Whispers of the Wind would be even better  as long as there are not more than 6 foes in range - since the AoE is more flexible and mobs don't have to stand so tight in order to get the most out of it. But since its jumps are limited HoF will be better as soon as you can cramp a lot of enemies onto one spot (Dazzling Lights, Sparkcrackers + Leap).  

Edited by Boeroer

I recommend trying Barbarian/Chanter, there is the obvious synergy between two classes:

1. Your reload speed is greatly increased by Ily chant (40%)

2. Under frenzy your cast time is greatly reduced, so you are able to summon really fast, but need to deal with confusion as well.

The build is not as devastating, as builds with streetfighter, but there are so many of tnem,that you should try something not "fighting in the streets"

Oh, I forgot: Barbaric Retaliation (Full Attack when receiving a crit) also works with mortars and other ranged weapons. That alone can be a reason to pick Single Class Barbarian.

Drop RES to 3, cast Frenzy and get flanked and you'll catch crits like crazy (-27 deflection). And you'll retaliate with AoE Full Attacks every time. It's lots of fun.

Trigger Frenzy, cast Avenging Storm, open with a Barbaric Blow from range, don't wait for reload but jump right into the group (HoF doesn't care if your weapons are reloaded and you even don't have to reload afterwards but can spam the next one).

Sure, this isn't really a fighting style that most would call "ranged", but it's the mist powerful setup with ranged weapons I know of. It's also nice that you can use it very early because both mortarts can be picked up early and Barbaric Blow + Frenzy + Bloodlust + mortars is already nice. Another plus is that a SC barb with this setuo also works perfectly well with melee weapons - so you are very flexible.

Another nice thing: Spirit Tornado lowers enemies fortitude by -10 points. If you took Brute Force you will crit more often on average. This works nicely with Frostseeker + Secret of Rime (if you like that better than mortars). I did some tests now with that bow instead of mortars and the result is only a tiny bit less powerful in terms of dmg but sour survivability is better because terrified enemies won't hit you (takes away the joy of retaliation though). Another weapon which you can pick up rel. early.

Watershaper's Focus also works well, but after its nerf it's not as powerful anymore and is not as good as mortars and Frostseeker.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I recommend trying Barbarian/Chanter, there is the obvious synergy between two classes:

2. Under frenzy your cast time is greatly reduced, so you are able to summon really fast, but need to deal with confusion as well.

The build is not as devastating, as builds with streetfighter, but there are so many of tnem,that you should try something not "fighting in the streets"

Sure, you can do it. But if you play in the party, you can have another Chanter in your group and focus your main char on damage. For example I always multiclass Pallegina to a Chanter. That way she has huge utility. She's not a great damage dealer either way.

Edited by Haplok

Sure, you can do it. But if you play in the party, you can have another Chanter in your group and focus your main char on damage. For example I always multiclass Pallegina to a Chanter. That way she has huge utility. She's not a great damage dealer either way.

Unfortunately, that's my problem, I just love chanter)

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me what avenging storm does in the nuclear bomb?

It triggers a low dmg lightning strike on the attacker every time you get hit AND it triggers the same strike every time you hit an enemy with a weapon (for every hit roll). In this case you'll produce a ton of hit rolls because HoF is AoE and every AoE attack from HoF triggers another AoE attack from the mortars. In case of Fire in the Hole it's even 2 AoE attacks because it jumps 1 time.

All in all you'll produce so many attack rolls that your graphics card will burn up because of all the lightning that's raining down.

But the combo is also great without Avenging Storm. You can also combine it with a Wizard's Combusting Wounds for great dmg or a rogue's Confounding Blind in order to bring deflection down a lot in a second.

Best thing about the single class monk with dual mortars is Empowered Strikes - and that the AoE hit rolls all trigger a Resonant Touch. So even if you don't use Avenging Storm a group of enemies will have tons of stacks of Resonant Touch after an attack - you then just stomp on the ground and they all fall apart.

I will do a quick playthrough with this guy and maybe write a build. It's so much fun to test, jeez (vid without Avenging Storm or Empower):

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

If you wonder why they all get stunnend: I use the Stalking Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak that stuns and does more dmg from stealth. But it also works from invisibility. Whispers of the Wind turns you invisible... great synergy.

And here with Empower (adds +1 jump for every 2 PL as well as +100 ACC and +100 PEN with Empowered Strikes:

hyleon_epowers.gif?dl=1

And finally with Avenging Storm (no Empower):

hyleon_shocks.gif?dl=1

As you can see Avenging Storm isn't THAT crucial to the build. It helps of course... But I guess most enemies that come in groups don't have enough HP to really feel the difference. I forgot Lightning Strikes in this case by the way. And it's always best to use Whispers of the Wind with 10 Wounds so that 5 are left for Turning Wheel.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Best thing about the single class monk with dual mortars is Empowered Strikes - and that the AoE hit rolls all trigger a Resonant Touch. So even if you don't use Avenging Storm a group of enemies will have tons of stacks of Resonant Touch after an attack - you then just stomp on the ground and they all fall apart.

I will do a quick playthrough with this guy and maybe write a build. It's so much fun to test, jeez (vid without Avenging Storm or Empower):

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

If you wonder why they all get stunnend: I use the Stalking Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak that stuns and does more dmg from stealth. But it also works from invisibility. Whispers of the Wind turns you invisible... great synergy.

And here with Empower (adds +1 jump for every 2 PL as well as +100 ACC and +100 PEN with Empowered Strikes:

hyleon_epowers.gif?dl=1

And finally with Avenging Storm (no Empower):

hyleon_shocks.gif?dl=1

As you can see Avenging Storm isn't THAT crucial to the build. It helps of course... But I guess most enemies that come in groups don't have enough HP to really feel the difference. I forgot Lightning Strikes in this case by the way. And it's always best to use Whispers of the Wind with 10 Wounds so that 5 are left for Turning Wheel.

That looks really cool. Would you still recommend monk now over barb if one wants to primarily shoot? I know that the lvl 9 skills are good no matter what weapon. (And why lightning strikes over swift strikes?) Are you also using helwaker?

Edited by Moritsuna
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm using Helwalker.

Swift Flurry only works with melee weapons, that's why I chose Lightning Strikes.

The first levels might be a bit boring to play because you can't use Force of Anguish or other melee abilities.

But at PL III you already get Stunning Blows and that makes it more interesting. Later Stunning Surge is the way to go. With such a big AoE you will most likely crit some enemy and get back your Mortification costs - yo you can use Stunning Surge a lot of times before Mortification runs out.

I think Monk is more fun than Barb with dual mortars. I can imagine Frostseeker is cooler with a Barb because there Blood Thirst will work. It does remove reoveery (from bows) but not reload (from guns).

• Like 1