[3.0] A song from PoE1 has come back... with a vengeance

thelee

Question

It's music that is permanently tied to the Dyrwood for me. I don't know what it's called, but this first youtube link that I uploaded will give you a quick sample of what it is:

https://youtu.be/5W3XVC2u5Jg

I don't know why in 3.0 it's all of a sudden made a come back into Deadfire, since after ~400 hours of playing PoE2 i've literally never heard this piece music in deadfire before, and I don't know who was clamoring for it to have a comeback in Deadfire. Personally, as a matter of taste, I find it out of place in Deadfire and don't like it that much in this context.

The BIG problem is that it seems to play all the friggin time. It appears to start triggering when I'm Nekataka, and then will keep playing at regular intervals. It will even trigger at the same time as other music. See this recording: (it is choppy, but it's not the video that's the point, it's the overlapping of this returned song with existing Deadfire music).

https://youtu.be/BAO9aTNrc3o

Here's a dropbox link to a save in brass citadel which should trigger the old/new song, and then you can wander around and hear it playing a lot: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uil2zf70hwiexe6/AAATPzO14mqYYXldeJIZ1HY2a?dl=0

Ideal outcomes:

1. get rid of this music, OR

2. make it play less frequently and not overlap with existing deadfire music.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 3

This music appears becose of one stupid guy in this thread cryin' for "Make night music themes like it was in BG": https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105474-atmosphere-i-hope-justin-bell-reads-this/

As for me, this music theme don't fit Deadfire at all, in one place. On second, this composition plays at night everywhere - in every district, in taverns - breaking flavor of different places.

At least, it should be optional. Personally, i don't like this idea at all.

I'm in rage of all those lunatics, crying: "Make *somewhat random thing* like it was in BG" - **** you, go and play BG, if you want BG. This is different game.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 1

There is a 3 main problems:

1. One track plays everywhere. If you want to implement Night Music and don't break atmosphere and preserve the flavor of different districts and places, make different themes which will fit right.

2. Night Music overlapps with Deadfire tracks. This is a clearly technical bug.

3. Night Music keeps playing indoors - shops, taverns etc. Technical bug too, i believe.

And, maybe, make sense to make it optional, in case some people don't like it.

P.S. Thank you Justin, for full compositions - it makes very big difference.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 1

Hear you loud and clear, we're looking into this bug.

To be clear, I liked this music just fine in PoE1. It just feels really out of place in Deadfire to me. Maybe if I hadn't clocked so much time with PoE1 it would be less dyrwood-y, but to my layperson's ears it just sounds qualitatively/thematically different from the deadfire music (which i also love).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

The indoor thing was intentional. 

At least, not in taverns, please. It looks...strange (i presume each tavern has own music band to entertain clients).

And please, think about Luminous bath:

https://youtu.be/BYGrxSHbEnw?t=25m51s

Maybe you can add some 1-2 additional tracks from PoE 1 as night themes. Oldsong theme, Elmshore theme or something else

Elmshore sounds perfect in the night IMO

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

re: interior being intended, please please don't have the music play over the tavern music. i don't know if that counts as other deadfire tracks or is just incidental environmental ambience, but i want the taverns to have that jaunty inn music remix without any obscurance.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

I'm in rage of all those lunatics, crying: "Make *somewhat random thing* like it was in BG" - **** you, go and play BG, if you want BG. This is different game.

I for one think that night tracks add a lot to the atmosphere of the game. They were a good idea in BG and are a good idea in Deadfire. You may disagree with the particular choice that was made for a track in this case, but the proposition was sound.

Also, while Deadfire is a different game from BG, it is quite explicitly marketed as its spiritual successor. It is not unreasonable for people to desire things that evoke memories of their playing the BG games while they play Deadfire. That doesn't make them lunatics at all.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I for one think that night tracks add a lot to the atmosphere of the game. They were a good idea in BG and are a good idea in Deadfire. You may disagree with the particular choice that was made for a track in this case, but the proposition was sound.

Also, while Deadfire is a different game from BG, it is quite explicitly marketed as its spiritual successor. It is not unreasonable for people to desire things that evoke memories of their playing the BG games while they play Deadfire. That doesn't make them lunatics at all.

Well... I admire, my sentence was too... emotional. Maybe you're right and without music bugs everything will be fine and tasty. Sorry if i offended you. Seems this night track playing over and over again makes me lunatic too))

Hmm, I thought I excluded the taverns?  Is that not the case?

Seems not  :no:

Another bug, i forgot to mention (easy to reproduce): go to the tavern during the day (tavern music starts playing), then wait or rest in room until the night is come and then go to the streets - tavern track will still keep playing until the end, no matter where you go (even to another district), then next tavern track will start and SLOOOWLY crossfade with Night theme.

I believe this is not was intended.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 4

Please consider having several night tunes, and like Phenomenum said, try to select tunes, like Elmshore, which fit the Deadfire archipelago and its various flavours. If no such tunes are found, you can always consider remixing and slowing a few Deadfire tunes down, and make them more airy and nocturnal, as it were. Lots of work, obviously, but then you'd have a few night versions.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Wilderness: Encampment, you mean? Well, it really fits the setting in PoE1. This may come across as a weird blurb escapade, but to me it somehow evokes woodlands on the British Isles and Medieval Robin Hood, during some sorrowful night, when they're all pondering over the question: Is our trying to get the balance right worth it? (More seriously, it captures all those sad people having hollow children in Dyrwood.) In addition, this tune is one of the signature tunes for PoE1. I have a really hard time making it fit in any sort of island-desert-jungle-lava mountain setting, so barely any place in Deadfire as far as I recall. And it doesn't feel very indoors at all.

Having just said that, I just came to think of an old favourite of mine, the Great Outdoors, early 80's:

[Youtube]

And obviously, I'm not saying that this kind of tune would fit, but it's a good example of an outdoors-y feel.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

You guys don't like ecampment for the night?

A perfect solution will be: adding different Night themes for every district, but i understand - it might take too much time.

I like Encampment, but as i said, adding more tracks adds some diversity. Becose, if you'll play Deafire for 50+ hours and listen one and the same track every night - your ears will quickly tired.

If you have technical issues witth adding several Night themes, you can combine Encampment, Elmshore + maybe something else in one long track. This will be simple and elegant solution

Edited by Phenomenum

Guys, I definitely appreciate all the feedback. I'm just not sure I have the availability to write new music for night time right now.

Take a listen to the next patch, see the improvement to transitions. Who knows, maybe the use of encampment will grow on you over time now that it works properly.

• Like 2

I hear you. Ok if there's another piece from Pillars 1 or 2/White March you guys prefer for night music sound off. It's got to be today or tomorrow my time though to ensure it gets into the build.

Two provisos - I reserve the right to decline a suggestion based on music placement elsewhere in the game, AND new music is off the table for now unfortunately :)

• Like 3

I hear you. Ok if there's another piece from Pillars 1 or 2/White March you guys prefer for night music sound off. It's got to be today or tomorrow my time though to ensure it gets into the build.

Two provisos - I reserve the right to decline a suggestion based on music placement elsewhere in the game, AND new music is off the table for now unfortunately :)

Ouch. I need to listen PoE 1 OST again. And quickly))

• Like 1

If we talk about PoE 1, i've consider to choose from this tracks (i'll specify districts association, but this is just my opinion):

Encampment (Sacred Stair/Serpent's Crown)

Elmshore (Periki's Overlook/Serpent's Crown)

Engwith (Delwer's Row/Gullet)

Oldsong (Queen's Berth/Brass Citadel)

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2