Please, see this topic:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/104002-pathfinder-kingmaker-is-bigger-then-deadfire/

And I don't think there is a walk toggle, but you can set the walking pace very easily, just encumber the shared stash just as much as you are satisfied with the walking pace of your party, and voilà!

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Early Game is stupidly hard if you use all difficulty sliders. Next to impossible, especially if you start out with a squishy caster. Enemies are not glued to a spot and seem to follow you forever so you can't split them.

There is no "Fast Mode", walking speed is slow and clunky, but maybe Pillars spoiled me.

It uses Vancian casting system, micromanagement is a must. Resting is limited, but resting on the world map is done very well (you get camping activities like Hunting). I personally feel like this system is very outdated and I much prefer per encounter abilities or cooldowns.

Can't say much about story yet, but most of the characters I've met so far are interesting.

Edited by Manveru123

My very first impressions were that it's generally a lot better than Deadfire but the NPCs (the two that I saw) were caricatures, perhaps intentionally so, and thus not engaging at all. However, as these are just very first impressions, I don't even trust them myself.

Edited by xzar_monty

I like it so far. Quite a lot actually.

In the long chain of "spiritual succesors to Baldur's Gate" Kingmaker feels like the one coming the closest.

Mind you, I barely started Act 1, so the game can suddenly turn horrible, but we started off on the same page.

The writing is tropey as hell, but is very unapologetic about it and has some quirky charm. The game deliberately wants to be this cutesy D&D adventure. And Linzi is the best. She's this type of dorky, overexcited character, played completely straight and it somehow works. Go away, Xoti.

It also actively plays with RPG tropes players took for granted for a long time. You can rob the family vault of your benefactor blind for no reason other than the game telling you to - beacuse taking stuff that's not yours is what you do in RPGs.

Afterwards, the benefactor asks you to justify yourself. It actually made me chuckle a bit.

Also, companions have minds of their own it seems. Jaethal and Harrim decided that they didn't like how I handled things in the tutorial area and flat out refused to be a part of my team. Beacuse, why should they?

Oh, and "tracking the bandit camp" actually requires you to pass tracking skill checks and do research. What sort of sorcery is this?

All in all, it's fun so far. Let's see how it fares later down the line.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 3

That sounds pretty interesting actually. Although I like the Pillars games they really don't feel like the IE games at all, other than superficially.

I'm not yet bored of generic fantasy settings, I would absolutely love another game set in the Forgotten Realms. 

EURGH, must hold on and not buy day 1 and be annoyed by bugs and stuff.

• Like 1

nowt

Mind you, I barely started Act 1, so the game can suddenly turn horrible, but we started off on the same page.

The writing is tropey as hell, but is very unapologetic about it and has some quirky charm. The game deliberately wants to be this cutesy D&D adventure.

That’s what mostly turned me off when watching the beta. I remember someone calling someone else “you dummy” in a way which didn’t feel appropriate in a tone or language. It felt awkwardly modern, in a way Frozen did. Reminded my of Divinity1&2, which directionless over-characterisation made it difficult for me to push through. RPG in which I don’t want to talk to anyone does something wrong. That said I didn’t look too much into pathfinder. What I hear makes me think it might not be exactly my type of RPG.
  • Like 1

"Chosen One in Forgotten-Realmsy generic fantasyland" is very much not my thing, but I think I will buy it. One day. After they fix and polish it. And I after I finish Numenera. And Wasteland 2. And all them Shadowruns. And Divinity:OSes. And Witchers. And...

...well. One day.  :yes:

• Like 2

"Chosen One in Forgotten-Realmsy generic fantasyland" is very much not my thing, but I think I will buy it. One day. After they fix and polish it. And I after I finish Numenera. And Wasteland 2. And all them Shadowruns. And Divinity:OSes. And Witchers. And...

...well. One day.  :yes:

I like the forgotten realms, probably nostalgia talking but I’d like a NWN 3. If you are going to play anything in that list I’d suggest it would be Witcher2/3. Much better than the other games.
  • Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Problem with playing them last is he may never get to them... :)

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I like the forgotten realms, probably nostalgia talking but I’d like a NWN 3. If you are going to play anything in that list I’d suggest it would be Witcher2/3. Much better than the other games.

I loved Neverwinter Nights 2 and sank hundreds of hours into it, but it was in spite of it being a generic fantasy setting, not because of it. As for Witchers, I have surprisingly little motivation to play them -- I am a big fan of the books so I've already experienced the best storytelling, and I loathed W2's combat and movement so much I didn't go much farther than tutorial and it also left me wary about W3. 

As for Witchers, I have surprisingly little motivation to play them -- I am a big fan of the books so I've already experienced the best storytelling, and I loathed W2's combat and movement so much I didn't go much farther than tutorial and it also left me wary about W3.

Yeah, movement in W3 is odd. The first time I started it I thought to my self: “oh no, that won’t do at all”. Oddly enough after a bit of playing I got used to it shortly and never had issue with it. There is always a small adjustment period whenever I come back to it.

I would certainly give a shot to W3. Spike in quality is astonishing both in gameplay, and storytelling. It is a more action game at this point that a stat based RPG, though.

Not sold on this at all. Paizo's Golarion setting is one of the least interesting fantasy worlds out there. The whole thing is basically a patchwork of themed regions, like viking-land, French-revolution land, demon invasion land, gothic horror land, The White Witch from Narnia land, Egypt land, post revolutionary America land and so on. There's not a lot of creativity there, and that's not surprising since the whole setting was created in the span of a few weeks or months because Paizo couldn't use established D&D campaign settings any more after they lost the right to publish the Dungeon and Dragon magainzes. So they just took every boring fantasy trope and turned it into a fantasy setting that has "everything". Personally I find it dull as dishwater.

I like it so far. Quite a lot actually.

In the long chain of "spiritual succesors to Baldur's Gate" Kingmaker feels like the one coming the closest.

The writing is tropey as hell, but is very unapologetic about it and has some quirky charm. The game deliberately wants to be this cutesy D&D adventure. And Linzi is the best. She's this type of dorky, overexcited character, played completely straight and it somehow works. Go away, Xoti.

It also actively plays with RPG tropes players took for granted for a long time. You can rob the family vault of your benefactor blind for no reason other than the game telling you to - beacuse taking stuff that's not yours is what you do in RPGs.

Afterwards, the benefactor asks you to justify yourself. It actually made me chuckle a bit.

Also, companions have minds of their own it seems. Jaethal and Harrim decided that they didn't like how I handled things in the tutorial area and flat out refused to be a part of my team. Beacuse, why should they?

Oh, and "tracking the bandit camp" actually requires you to pass tracking skill checks and do research. What sort of sorcery is this?

All in all, it's fun so far. Let's see how it fares later down the line.

I know BG sets the bar high for role-playing games (my all-time favorite saga by the way) but I can't take too kindly to what seems like game developers cashing in on BG nostalgia and missing the mark as far as what actually made BG great. Their crowdfunding and sales pitches are like 'yo this is yet another bland fantasy setting but guess what we loved Baldur's Gate so give us your money please'. Nah, it shouldn't work like that. I'd like BG3 very much (playing as the Bhaalspawn's child in some other part of Faerun for instance) however RPG's will turn out much better if developers strive to do their own thing so the sum of their games' parts amounts to a story worthy of standing right there alongside the Bhaalspawn saga.

Edited by Heathsunderer

Since this thread seems to have turned to a general RPG discussion rather than discussing Kingmaker and Deadfire, I'm closing this thread in favor of the existing thread in the appropriate forum - https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/104002-pathfinder-kingmaker-is-bigger-then-deadfire/

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man