So, here I am, making a character for the 100th time and listening to the voice sets and well...they all sound the same! I mean, they have different lines, but noble doesn't sound particularly noble. Sinister doesn't sound especially sinister to my ears. Nor does smooth seem overly smooth.

The only voice sets that really have "character" are the Vox Machina ones. Those are awesome. Although it annoys me slightly that they mention names of pets etc. in those voice sets. Makes it hard to apply them to new characters. 

I just seem to recall that back in Icewind Dale, the voice sets were a lot more differentiated. The fighters sounded very fierce (some were just grunting) while the wizard voices sounded more educated.

Thoughts? Any particular voice sets that you like?

• Like 3

I'm okay with that, to be honest. Pillars features a very different setting to the Forgotten Realms games - the tone is generally more sober and downplayed across the board, even whilst Deadfire probably leaned more to the high fantasy side of things than the first game (and a little too much in that direction at times, in my opinion). I welcome more nuanced voice sets as I feel they fit the overall tone better.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm okay with that, to be honest. Pillars features a very different setting to the Forgotten Realms games - the tone is generally more sober and downplayed across the board, even whilst Deadfire probably leaned more to the high fantasy side of things than the first game (and a little too much in that direction at times, in my opinion). I welcome more nuanced voice sets as I feel they fit the overall tone better.

That doesn't mean they have to be that sober. And to be honest, I always liked the funny voice sets best. Like the druggy druid in ID. There has to be at least one.

---

We're all doomed

I agree on all points. Voice sets are incredibly bland and I could never really tell which one is which since they all sound pretty much the same. Would have been cool if we could at least (easily) import custom voice sets, from IWD or BG, for example, just like we can do with portraits.

Edited by -dib-
  • Like 1

Thoughts? Any particular voice sets that you like?

The PoE "Sinister" which I imported back into Deadfire.

The Critical Role voice sets are good if you are aiming for a more light-hearted feeling character.

The generic voice sets are pretty bland, lacking character. I also find it very disappointing that they even use the same lines across different voice sets, was it so difficult to come up with different lines for different characters?

• Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Is it possible to take the voice sets from the original BG and put them in? Haven't looked into this.

I kind of like the slightly pissed off sounding Cam Clarke voice.

I remember seeing someone managing to replace the current voicesets with their own through some convoluted methods, but I haven't seen anyone adding a new voice set. So I imagine it's even more complicated.

I haven't tested it, so I'm not certain. But from what I understand (based on the description and a reply for the partial PoE1 voice mod), sound files need to be converted once or twice--they need to be .wem files, so if they're not in a format that can go straight to .wem, they need to be converted to a type that can first.

Then each file needs to be renamed to match the ones you want to replace, so the game will grab the right lines at the right times. In order to do that, you need to go through your source and compare it to the lines you want to replace, and consider how/when they'll be used. Don't want a combat grunt to trigger when you talk to a merchant, eh? (Hilarious, sure, but not the most immersive. Generally speaking.)

So it'd be a tedious process, sure, but from what I understand...so long as you can get the voice sets you want, and can convert them to .wem, it's doable.

• Like 1

Is it possible to take the voice sets from the original BG and put them in? Haven't looked into this.

I kind of like the slightly pissed off sounding Cam Clarke voice.

I remember seeing someone managing to replace the current voicesets with their own through some convoluted methods, but I haven't seen anyone adding a new voice set. So I imagine it's even more complicated.

There is a mod on the nexus that explains how to do it. Ah, nvm, Melycinya has linked to it. Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png