Is it possible to build a Barbarian ranged character?

Also works well with SC Ranger (Whirling Strikes) and SC Monk (Whispers of the Wind). :)

Now showcase Vengeful Defeat + Effigy's Husk + Dual Mortars + Shroud of Phantasm. ;)

Edit: ach, Whirling Strikes only work with melee weapons.

Vengeful defeat didn’t work on illusions u summoned tho, items’ passive works, like effigy and effort.

For those who wonder about @Boeroer's HoF + Dual Mortars + Avenging Storm combo, I did some quick test and make a short video for it, you will understand why I call it nuclear power hahaha XD. My PC crashed the first time I tried it, sorry for the lag but I think it is too much for my CPU...

I think that you can increase your average damage output with Sun & Moon + Flail Modal (especially for enemies with 110* reflexes) 

1. It trigger 2x carnage which also trigger Avenging Storm, plus do raw damage 

2. It reduce reflexes for all enemies around you

3. It give you 5% chance to repeat any-attack with fire damage, which work Blunderbuss modal

4. It will restore 20HP - 50HP per HoF use

P.S I posted video with Sun & Moon setup for Ranger, but barbarian's HoF will work even better 

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Correct - Carnage is not nearly as powerful as in PoE and thus it's not a big loss if you don't use it.

Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst are pretty great with a ranged weapon - although Blood Thirst only works with recovery, not reload - so only pick it when using bows and implements.

Barbaric Blow works with ranged weapons. Heart of Fury also does (which is pretty weird but nice with Hand Mortar + Fire in the Hole or Waterschaper's Focus for example).

Some "minor" passives like Threatening Presence are also not bad for ranged characters.

Do the afflictions from either Blood Frenzy or Spirit Frenzy work even if you are working with ranged weapons? I am now at level 7 - needing to choose between Blood Frenzy and Spirit Frenzy. Or perhaps I should choose neither - if the afflictions don't apply with ranged weapons?

If yes, then how would one go about doing this?

I ask, because I don't know what to do with Serafen. I hated the Cipher class to begin with in PoE 1 (you had to micro-manage every little thing); and Serafen adds the wild whatever thang to make it worse. So no way I want to play an entire game with Serafen as a Cipher.

Not sure. I played him as a Witch - his Cipher powers are one of the main reasons I was able to complete the game.

Never noticed any wild effects.

Wild Mind effects is annoying at most in a normal playthrough. The worst that can happen is a quick reload.

However, any modes with a Trial of Iron mode it can be a run ender waiting to happen. I had it happen to me once that floored 4 out of 5 of my party instantly. It dealt in excess of 300 lightning dmg at a point where my characters barely have more than 100hp. All you need is one proc.

Exactly - and I suspect I will attempt Trial of Iron mode at some point - unless I run into game-breaking bugs in easier runs.

Boeroer is right, so just follow their advice for ranged Barbarian.

Barbarian Serafan does fine. You often switch hit between dual pistol Barbaric Blow/Smash and hand axe + whatever. Even with the nerf to full attacks, you'll be critting often and dealing plenty of damage. Pick up Blood Frenzy and enjoy. The only issue is that pure Barbarian is very resource intensive. You'll finish small fights fast, but in longer fights with reinforcements, ranged Barbarians will fall off. You can remedy this somewhat with Caroc's Breastplate and Barbaric Smash.

Key: Frenzy, Barbaric Blow, Bloodlust

Consider: Blood Frenzy, Barbaric Smash (rage recycle), Wild Sprint (+5 dex and burst of speed to help reposition; stacks with Rapid Reload), One Stands Alone (for switch hitting with dual melee)

Everything else is up to you. Late game you'll have access to Heart of Fury, but you may not need to use it depending on your party composition. Instrument of Boundless Rage is quite strong with no real start-up, so you'll likely be using that at least once a fight before finishing things off with Barbaric Smash.

I plan on using a pure ranged Barbarian - rather than weapons switch version. I don't like micro-ing too much; and having Serafan as a ranged/melee hybrid will also make the melee congestion worse.

By the way, as I asked Boerer, do Blood Frenzy afflictions work with ranged weapons as well?

:Insert most interesting man meme here:

I don't always roll a pure martial class, but when I do, its with hand mortars.

The ranged/melee weapon trick you can do to make hand mortar nukes work for pure rangers' aoe attack can also work to some extent with fighters and Clear Out ( its upgrades too). Blunderbuss/mortar in primary and melee in offhand.  It's fun to watch knocking them back and seeing them fly around as they chain react with anything they get near to.  You can't engage anything, but that doesn't matter much since you're going to be pushing them all around anyway and its pretty cheap lol.  

Now we just need to figure out a way for pure paladins to join in on this.

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 1

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

For those who wonder about @Boeroer's HoF + Dual Mortars + Avenging Storm combo, I did some quick test and make a short video for it, you will understand why I call it nuclear power hahaha XD. My PC crashed the first time I tried it, sorry for the lag but I think it is too much for my CPU...

I think that you can increase your average damage output with Sun & Moon + Flail Modal (especially for enemies with 110* reflexes) 

1. It trigger 2x carnage which also trigger Avenging Storm, plus do raw damage 

2. It reduce reflexes for all enemies around you

3. It give you 5% chance to repeat any-attack with fire damage, which work Blunderbuss modal

4. It will restore 20HP - 50HP per HoF use

P.S I posted video with Sun & Moon setup for Ranger, but barbarian's HoF will work even better 

Carnage doesn't trigger Avenging Storm.

The sweet thing with Fire in the hole is its AOE attack, each attack will trigger Avenging Storm, but also it bounces once, so Avenging Storm x2. Then u use HoF, each target u hit with HoF will multipled that Avenging Storm trigger count. I'm not sure if powder burns trigger avenging storm tho, not sure because there are too many hits.

Edited by dunehunter

I only did some basic testing with Fire-in-the-hole and Hand Mortar HoF a while back and also though the results were quite good. And mechanically, those blunderbusses can better transfer on-hit effects better than Carnage which is hard-coded to ignore (most? all?) on-hit interactions.

So ironically, dual mortars is probably closer to PoE1's barb carnage, than the actual DF carnage will ever be.

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

I only did some basic testing with Fire-in-the-hole and Hand Mortar HoF a while back and also though the results were quite good. And mechanically, those blunderbusses can better transfer on-hit effects better than Carnage which is hard-coded to ignore (most? all?) on-hit interactions.

So ironically, dual mortars is probably closer to PoE1's barb carnage, than the actual DF carnage will ever be.

I would be curious about this new Heart Seaker ranger ability, used with Driving Flight.