Is it possible to build a Barbarian ranged character?

If yes, then how would one go about doing this?

I ask, because I don't know what to do with Serafen. I hated the Cipher class to begin with in PoE 1 (you had to micro-manage every little thing); and Serafen adds the wild whatever thang to make it worse. So no way I want to play an entire game with Serafen as a Cipher.

I ask, because I don't know what to do with Serafen. I hated the Cipher class to begin with in PoE 1 (you had to micro-manage every little thing); and Serafen adds the wild whatever thang to make it worse. So no way I want to play an entire game with Serafen as a Cipher.

Not sure.  I played him as a Witch - his Cipher powers are one of the main reasons I was able to complete the game.

Never noticed any wild effects.

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 1

Sure you can: search this forum for a Witch (Berseker+Ascendant) build, from like a month ago. It’s not only viable but actually quite OP when it comes to damage. Not sure how will it transfer to Serafen with his fixed atributes, but at least you can get some blueprint for your own build.

• Like 1

Technically you can, it's just sub-optimal because ranged weapons don't take advantage of carnage. If you went pure barbarian with Serafen you'd definitely want to use melee weapons or Melee/Blunderbuss or Melee/Pistol.

Personally, it's probably best to run him as a Witch. If you use the new AI system, you won't need to micromanage as much.

• Like 1

Technically you can, it's just sub-optimal because ranged weapons don't take advantage of carnage. If you went pure barbarian with Serafen you'd definitely want to use melee weapons or Melee/Blunderbuss or Melee/Pistol.

Personally, it's probably best to run him as a Witch. If you use the new AI system, you won't need to micromanage as much.

Actually, I think it can work.  Carnage is almost worthless anyway.  Rage is an excellent DPS ability.

• Like 1

Yeah, every char can be ranged, especially if you pick berzerker for that armor pen, but it will require you to use intellect affiction immunity food, every time you rest.

I didnt played it, so i can only theorycraft here:

So, scriptwise it will be something like, when enemy health bellow 25% - use Crushing blow, since resources are limited. Most of the time you will autoatack frenzied, but with rage buff, it wont be that bad.

Multiclassed barb seems like a best choice.

Edited by Scythee
  • Like 1

Barbs are good dps either way at range or melee. At range I would multi with a ranger for hunting bow sick and fast damage. Works also well with chanter, cipher, monk and wizard if you want to stay ranged. 

Serefen though is not really optimized as a character his stats and sublcass are really meh and do not showcase what a witch can do. 

• Like 1

Actually, I think it can work.  Carnage is almost worthless anyway.  Rage is an excellent DPS ability.

Just to clarify, that first part I meant for a pure barbarian.

Yeah, it can definitely work. But a free 33% AOE damage on everything is certainly not worthless. (It's also not as powerful as it was in POE1)

To be honest, Ciphers are great (actually my favorite class)- they have access to inexpensive afflictions and inexpensive charm/dominate.

• Like 1

Correct - Carnage is not nearly as powerful as in PoE and thus it's not a big loss if you don't use it.

Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst are pretty great with a ranged weapon - although Blood Thirst only works with recovery, not reload - so only pick it when using bows and implements.

Barbaric Blow works with ranged weapons. Heart of Fury also does (which is pretty weird but nice with Hand Mortar + Fire in the Hole or Waterschaper's Focus for example).

Some "minor" passives like Threatening Presence are also not bad for ranged characters.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Not sure.  I played him as a Witch - his Cipher powers are one of the main reasons I was able to complete the game.

I keep seeing posts where he supposedly one-shot himself or a teammate due to the Miscast back-firing. Anyways, even without it, I just hate Ciphers.

Sure you can: search this forum for a Witch (Berseker+Ascendant) build, from like a month ago. It’s not only viable but actually quite OP when it comes to damage. Not sure how will it transfer to Serafen with his fixed atributes, but at least you can get some blueprint for your own build.

Unfortunately, Serafan can only be either Barbarian or Cipher - or the combination thereof. And I don't want to use a Cipher again - ever.

I am hoping that is the case ;)

Correct - Carnage is not nearly as powerful as in PoE and thus it's not a big loss if you don't use it.

Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst are pretty great with a ranged weapon - although Blood Thirst only works with recovery, not reload - so only pick it when using bows and implements.

Barbaric Blow works with ranged weapons. Heart of Fury also does (which is pretty weird but nice with Hand Mortar + Fire in the Hole or Waterschaper's Focus for example).

Some "minor" passives like Threatening Presence are also not bad for ranged characters.

Ah, I didn't realize Barbaric Blow works with ranged weapons. Hmm, this might not end up being so bad; and the Frenzy/low Deflection interplay isn't so bad from ranged either. I think this is what I will do instead of using him as a Barbarian melee (which I didn't like so much when I tried in the aborted run).

Ah, I didn't realize Barbaric Blow works with ranged weapons. Hmm, this might not end up being so bad; and the Frenzy/low Deflection interplay isn't so bad from ranged either. I think this is what I will do instead of using him as a Barbarian melee (which I didn't like so much when I tried in the aborted run).

Barbarian Sarafen = Angry Orlan when Wet

Edited by Prince of Lies

I played a Corpse Eater as spell-only Warlock. The PL bonus from kith meat food is great, but the rest is not. Flesh Communion's effect is good but takes too long (run there, 3 sec cast time) and it's fiddly to use (have to really hit a tiny spot with the mouse and there's no highlighting - run around enemies and catch disengagements). The +1 Rage cost is too bad for the most part of the game. The nice cheap stuff like Frenzy, Lion's Sprint and Roars costs double (!).

I would always prefer a Berserker with Caroc's Breastplate/Modwyr/Svef/Infuse with Vital Essence

With Boundless Rage the +1 isn't such a big deal. And single class Nature Godlike Corpse Eater with Stone of Power, Prestige and kith meat food would have a per-encounter PL bonus of +5(!), but you have to get there...

Edited by Boeroer

Not sure. I played him as a Witch - his Cipher powers are one of the main reasons I was able to complete the game.

Wild Mind effects is annoying at most in a normal playthrough. The worst that can happen is a quick reload.

However, any modes with a Trial of Iron mode it can be a run ender waiting to happen. I had it happen to me once that floored 4 out of 5 of my party instantly. It dealt in excess of 300 lightning dmg at a point where my characters barely have more than 100hp. All you need is one proc.

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

Well if needed I can also completely remove the negative effects of Wild Mind by modding them out myself.

Downplaying Wild Mind by saying mods are available in discussions is not really discussing why Wild Mind is inherently awful.

That was in response to the OP.

Sure, but OP also mentioned he/she hates Ciphers to the core.

• Like 1

Boeroer is right, so just follow their advice for ranged Barbarian.

Barbarian Serafan does fine. You often switch hit between dual pistol Barbaric Blow/Smash and hand axe + whatever. Even with the nerf to full attacks, you'll be critting often and dealing plenty of damage. Pick up Blood Frenzy and enjoy. The only issue is that pure Barbarian is very resource intensive. You'll finish small fights fast, but in longer fights with reinforcements, ranged Barbarians will fall off. You can remedy this somewhat with Caroc's Breastplate and Barbaric Smash.

Key: Frenzy, Barbaric Blow, Bloodlust
Consider: Blood Frenzy, Barbaric Smash (rage recycle), Wild Sprint (+5 dex and burst of speed to help reposition; stacks with Rapid Reload), One Stands Alone (for switch hitting with dual melee)

Everything else is up to you. Late game you'll have access to Heart of Fury, but you may not need to use it depending on your party composition. Instrument of Boundless Rage is quite strong with no real start-up, so you'll likely be using that at least once a fight before finishing things off with Barbaric Smash.

• Like 2

Barbaric Smash (refund on kill) works nicely with Bloody Slaughter - if you use Barbaric Smash with dual mortars on groups of enemies where some individuals are near death. The crit chance is higher and the crit damage even more. Since dual mortars Full Attacks generate lots of hits but the dmg per hit is low this is beneficial. The chance is higher to kill somebody with the Full AoE attack and get the refund. Also helps to apply Blood Frenzy on those who got crit but didn't die yet but are at the brink. They then drop afterwards. That won't give you a refund for Barbaric Smash but will still trigger Bloodlust and Blood Thirst.

Oh and by the way: Heart of Fury + dual mortars + Avenging Storm (Heaven's Cacophony) is really fun. ;) Vengeful Defeat as well. Combine with the Phantasm-Cape...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Barbaric Smash (refund on kill) works nicely with Bloody Slaughter - if you use Barbaric Smash with dual mortars on groups of enemies where some individuals are near death. The crit chance is higher and the crit damage even more. Since dual mortars Full Attacks generate lots of hits but the dmg per hit is low this is beneficial. The chance is higher to kill somebody with the Full AoE attack and get the refund. Also helps to apply Blood Frenzy on those who got crit but didn't die yet but are at the brink. They then drop afterwards. That won't give you a refund for Barbaric Smash but will still trigger Bloodlust and Blood Thirst.

Oh and by the way: Heart of Fury + dual mortars + Avenging Storm (Heaven's Cacophony) is really fun. ;) Vengeful Defeat as well. Combine with the Phantasm-Cape...

LoL I tested this combo and it likes nuclear power XD.

For those who wonder about @Boeroer's HoF + Dual Mortars + Avenging Storm combo, I did some quick test and make a short video for it, you will understand why I call it nuclear power hahaha XD. My PC crashed the first time I tried it, sorry for the lag but I think it is too much for my CPU...

• Like 5

Also works well with SC Ranger (Whirling Strikes) and SC Monk (Whispers of the Wind). :)

Now showcase Vengeful Defeat + Effigy's Husk + Dual Mortars + Shroud of Phantasm. ;)

Edit: ach, Whirling Strikes only work with melee weapons.

Edited by Boeroer